Page 58 of 71 FirstFirst ... 848535455565758596061626368 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1405
    I guess I owe the thread a serious comment. I am sad for the people and I love the city of New Orleans. It was devastating to see all of the suffering and the red cross has lots of my money as well as some of my blood. The relief response was atrocious and the resultant political spinning and refusal to admit mistakes is ridiculous.
    I forget...which of the Arkansas State Troopers that did Bill's woman wrangling end up with a job at FEMA?

The idea that political patronage started with Bush II is just silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    I forget...which of the Arkansas State Troopers that did Bill's woman wrangling end up with a job at FEMA?

was that guy a leader of FEMA ??

(and at least he had law enforcement experience unlike "Brownie" -- unless you're including the enforcement of horse judging rules ... )
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    People who play the Hitler card on Bush, sadly they don't know anything about history.

For one thing, Hitler was a decorated frontline war veteran, and he got more votes than the other candidates when he came into power, plus he had a mustasche.

please forgive a minor detour on one of the most heinously evil beasts in modern history ...

you're right, he was a highly decorated WW1 soldier who was thought to have earned, but not been awarded the Iron Cross -- and he was the only member of his particular unit to have survived the war (If my recollection is correct.)

He won his election to Chancellor legitimately (though with less than a majority) in a free democratic election -- within the flawed Weimar republic system and structure.

Hitler's "generalship" -- though often terrible -- was sometimes militarily inspired. And given the awful options that availed themselves after the failed invasion of the USSR, its not certain that any other outcome could have been achieved.

There were several important inflection points that led to Germany's defeat:

1. stupidly relying on the same cipher machine technology through out the war.

2. deciding to invade Russia before defeating Britain.

3. idiotically delaying the attack on Russia by 2 weeks (in order to assist the Italians in Yugoslavia, the Balkans and Greece) –- which trapped the German army in the deadly Russian winter before it was able to crush the Soviet Union.

4. His psychotic hatred of Jews which drove some of Germany’s most brilliant and creative minds into the arms of his enemies –- while diverting crucial resources to his implementation the monstrous Holocaust.

5. Unnecessarily declaring war against America after Japan’s failed attack on Pearl Harbor. (Without Germany declaring war against us first, its probable that Roosevelt would have had to direct our efforts far more against Japan. (its possible that Hitler had hoped that Japan would have concurrently declared war on Russia).

Despite all this, Germany came dangerously close to winning WW2 -- much closer than is generally appreciated.
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/11/2005 at 10:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    -- unless you're including the enforcement of horse judging rules ... )
    Or perhaps he's now qualified to do this:

(hey if you can't laugh you'll go nuts, right?)
    This guy?
    please forgive a minor detour on one of the most heinously evil beasts in modern history ...

you're right, he was a highly decorated WW1 soldier who was thought to have earned, but not been awarded the Iron Cross -- and he was the only member of his particular unit to have survived the war (If my recollection is correct.)

He won his election to Chancellor legitimately (though with less than a plurality) in a free democratic election -- within the flawed Weimar republic system and structure.

Hitler's "generalship" -- though often terrible -- was sometimes militarily inspired. And given the awful options that availed themselves after the failed invasion of the USSR, its not certain that any other outcome could have been achieved.

There were several important inflection points that led to Germany's defeat:

1. stupidly relying on the same cipher machine technology through out the war.

2. deciding to invade Russia before defeating Britain.

3. idiotically delaying the attack on Russia by 2 weeks (in order to assist the Italians in Yugoslavia, the Balkans and Greece) –- which trapped the German army in the deadly Russian winter before it was able to crush the Soviet Union.

4. His psychotic hatred of Jews which drove some of Germany’s most brilliant and creative minds into the arms of his enemies –- while diverting crucial resources to his implementation the monstrous Holocaust.

5. Unnecessarily declaring war against America after Japan’s failed attack on Pearl Harbor. (Without Germany declaring war against us first, its probable that Roosevelt would have had to direct our efforts far more against Japan. (its possible that Hitler had hoped that Japan would have concurrently declared war on Russia).

Despite all this, Germany came dangerously close to winning WW2 -- much closer than is generally appreciated.
    Barye, I enjoy reading your posts, and I only brought up the Hitler ref in jest. I certainly agree with you, WWII was certainly a NECESSARY war against a REAL threat to the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Anyway, I'm just bitter because I just realized that all this posting I'm doing in OT is gonna have no effect on my post count.

Pete
    Ha ha. Don't worry about it, post count does not an authority make. Consider this, shadowmite has only about 800 some odd posts, but he is light years ahead of all of us, moderators included.
    ...shadowmite... is light years ahead of all of us...
    So true!
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Yep.
    was that guy a leader of FEMA ??

(and at least he had law enforcement experience unlike "Brownie" -- unless you're including the enforcement of horse judging rules ... )
    He was a regional director. And, judging from the women your boy Bill picked, probably something of a horse judge as well.
    He was a regional director. And, judging from the women your boy Bill picked, probably something of a horse judge as well.

I'm a big boy, and I know when I'm beat

you've managed to make me laugh more than any of the previous 1150 posts ...

you've managed to make me laugh more than any of the previous 1150 posts .
    ROTFL! Same here! They might as well just close the thread now.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    good googling -- I had only the vaguest of recollections of him ...

I guess he was one of the guys that 1911sforever would have described as a horse wrangler
    good googling -- I had only the vaguest of recollections of him ...
    The guy left in 2001 - I'm not sure what to make of the fact that an agency whose main duty is to help clean up still had his bio on their site.
    Barye, I enjoy reading your posts, and I only brought up the Hitler ref in jest. I certainly agree with you, WWII was certainly a NECESSARY war against a REAL threat to the US.

as you've probably noticed by now, I almost never miss an opportunity to jump at a WW2 tangent -- no matter how tenuous ...
  17. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts

Just to clarify. Didn't it come out that the troopers that were in on this were paid for their stories?

And also one of them (Patterson) was arrested for lying to the FBI in an unrelated incident.

Plus not to mention the article's author apologized to Bill Clinton for it.
    The point is that someone who Clinton knew...one of the ones that DIDN'T run his mouth, by the way, ended up with a high level job at FEMA.

Yes, David Brock, now head of a media watchdog group that that squeals like slapped girly men, did apologize for that article.

Lying to the FBI is only a crime if you make a lot of money. If you're a Democrat shill stealing sensitive documents it is only worth a fine and 100 hours of community service.
    If you are on the right and want to know what people on the left are thinking about the Katrina situation, this video pretty well sums it up.

http://www.markfiore.com/animation/gras.html
    Wow. Another piece of left wing race/class baiting agitprop. I'm shocked.

No mention of an inept, corrupt NO government. (Democrat)Somehow they just couldn't work in the imagery of all those flooded buses.

No mention of a brain-dead, inept State government (Democrat)

No mention that Bush has spent more on LA Corps of Engineer projects than his predecessor.

No mention of the Democrat sheriff blocking the bridges exiting from NO.

Another tax cut slam, without mentioning that the capital freed up by those tax cuts is what has grown the economy so well during these trying times. (Does anyone REALLY think that if Bush had sent BILLIONS of dollars to LA on day one of his administration those levees would have been strengthened by now? Or is it more likely that the pockets of local politicians and contractors would have been further lined?

1/3rd of the LA National Guard is in Iraq, apparently. (Infantry brigade.) The governor had an entire ENGINEER brigade (you know, guys with heavy equipment, etc.) still in the state. The war in Iraq had ZERO impact on the response to Katrina.

What is really feeding the media fire on this story is that "Brownie" did an OK job on four Florida hurricaines during an election year. They perceive that gave Bush an advantage in what was a crucial state in 2000. That is Brown's real sin.
    Last edited by 1911sforever; 09/12/2005 at 09:01 AM.