Page 55 of 71 FirstFirst ... 545505152535455565758596065 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1405
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Not sure I follow. Regardles of who is in office the Senate must confirm political appointees, this is a good thing. If the president could just appoint without confimation then we would constantly be swinging form far right to far left depending on who was in office. As the system works now we stay pretty much in the middle ground.
    Right. But the comment I was referring to sounds something like this (to me):
    The senate should give the president wide discretion in whom to appoint. When an appointment turns out badly, it is as much the senate's fault as the president.
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    The US would have been more than rich enough to secure the levees in time (during the last years/decades).
    What about all the money that's been sent down there and has apparently been p*ssed away?
    I haven't seen the Washington Post cover page story from yesterday linked here yet - but unfortunately I'm mobile right now and can't get to it. I'll try to remember later to post it.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Right. But the comment I was referring to sounds something like this (to me):
    The senate should give the president wide discretion in whom to appoint. When an appointment turns out badly, it is as much the senate's fault as the president.
    I never said or implied the president should have that kind of latitude in political apointees.
    <<first Joe lieberman is an as (to paraphrase Tom Cruise's secret friend)

as is Joe biden, Joe Macarthy, Joseph Kennedy ...>>

and

<<I was referring to Amassodor Joe Kennedy, bootlegger and apologist for hitler ...>>

Hmmm... So let me get this straight.

It's not a right or left thing, but our dear friend Barye
    just has a problem with "Joe"s??

I guess Joebar is off his Christmas Card list, too?

Does this mean he doesn't like to drink Coffee/a cuo of Joe either?
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    <<first Joe lieberman is an as (to paraphrase Tom Cruise's secret friend)

as is Joe biden, Joe Macarthy, Joseph Kennedy ...>>

and

<<I was referring to Amassodor Joe Kennedy, bootlegger and apologist for hitler ...>>

Hmmm... So let me get this straight.

It's not a right or left thing, but our dear friend Barye
    just has a problem with "Joe"s??

I guess Joebar is off his Christmas Card list, too?

Does this mean he doesn't like to drink Coffee/a cuo of Joe either?
    you NAILED IT !!!

watch your back Joebar
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    FEMA Chief Relieved of Katrina Duties
    Sep 09 1:14 PM US/Eastern

By LARA JAKES JORDAN
    Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON

Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael Brown is being removed from his role managing Hurricane Katrina relief efforts, The Associated Press has learned.

Brown is being sent back to Washington from Baton Rouge, where he was the primary official overseeing the federal government's response to the disaster, according to two federal officials who declined to be identified before the announcement.
    Brown will be replaced by Coast Guard Vice Adm. Thad w. Allen, who was overseeing New Orleans relief and rescue efforts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    any word on the guy who said: "Brownie, you're doin a heck of a job !!!" --- the guy who appointed him ---
    LOL... Phew, now they got a nice fall guy. All is dandy at the Whitehouse again.

And somehow it will be spun that what junior really meant when he said that line above was "you've failed us" and then somehow blame the dems for Brown. heheh

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    LOL... Phew, now they got a nice fall guy. All is dandy at the Whitehouse again.

And somehow it will be spun that what junior really meant when he said that line above was "you've failed us" and then somehow blame the dems for Brown. heheh
    Damned if they do, damned if they don't. I assume you prefer him to stay in charge?
    you NAILED IT !!!

watch your back Joebar

I never said or implied the president should have that kind of latitude in political apointees.
    So you have no problem with the Democrats' move regarding judicial appointments?
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar

Fall guy. Many posters here have been blaming this guy Mike Brown from day one. Now that the wish has been granted (getting rid of Brown), you think Bush is using him as a fall guy? Never satisfied.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Fall guy. Many posters here have been blaming this guy Mike Brown from day one. Now that the wish has been granted (getting rid of Brown), you think Bush is using him as a fall guy? Never satisfied.

its probably because my humour is too subtle.

I was actually holding the guy who appointed "Brownie" responsible ...

confusion such as this, is understandable ...
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    So you have no problem with the Democrats' move regarding judicial appointments?

Depends on which move you mean? If they reveiw the records, discuss the issues and move it to a floor vote no problem. When they refuse to put it to a vote yes there is an issue. It is not just democrats, the republicans have been quilty of the same thing.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    its probably because my humour is too subtle.

I was actually holding the guy who appointed "Brownie" responsible ...

confusion such as this, is understandable ...
    Are you holding the senators who approved his appointment responsible also? It should be easier to mislead one person than 100 don't you think.
    "The Washington Post reported Friday that five of the top eight officials at FEMA, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, had little experience in handling disasters and owed their jobs to their political ties to Bush. Further, the Post reports that as political operatives took the top jobs, professionals and experts in hurricanes and disasters left the agency."

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/nation...-Fema0909.html
    That site in your sig is something ^^^ What religion does to some people is crazy.

please Watch the free video of this story online --

Relief chaos: Indecision prevented aid from reaching those who needed it most
    By Lisa Myers NBC News Senior investigative correspondent
    Sept. 8, 2005

WASHINGTON - As the floodwaters rose last Tuesday, the civilian director of the New Orleans Port police made a stunning decision. She ordered all harbor officers to abandon their posts and flee to higher ground. Angry eyewitnesses tell NBC News that only the police chief and two officers stayed on duty. So, they say, there were no Harbor Police rescue boats in the water for rescues for four days.

“I sent them to high ground because I did not want them to become victims of rising flood water,” says Cynthia Swain, Port of New Orleans Security Director, “Those boats certainly could have made a difference in rescuing people,” says Jane Bullock, a former FEMA chief of staff for the Clinton administration.

The decision was just one of many questionable calls, at all levels of government, which delayed or deprived victims of desperately needed help.

One medical assessment team — veterans of 31 disasters — can treat hundreds of patients a day, but for 11 days, it’s been repeatedly redirected by FEMA from Alabama to Biloxi to Dallas to Galveston. So far, they’ve treated one small cut.

“We joined the team to help people who need it and we are not helping anybody,” says a frustrated Tim Ward, logistics officer and EMT with Georgia-3 Disaster Medical Assistance Team.

Thursday, FEMA told them to pack up again and move to Houston.
    For nine days a mobile communications unit has been sitting in Germany with a chartered plane standing by, ready to provide desperately needed equipment for first responders. Company officials complain they’ve placed hundreds of calls and can still get no answer from FEMA. “This is the most frustrating exercise in futility I’ve had in my entire professional life,” says satellite services provider Uri Bar-Zemer.

Last Friday, Mississippi asked FEMA for 20,000 trailers for temporary housing. On Monday, when nothing had happened, Sen. Trent Lott of Mississippi asked President Bush to intervene personally. The next day he was told that 400 trailers were on the way.

“Just put it anywhere,” Lott said Tuesday, “Just get them there. We’ll put them in the right place!”

Thursday, NBC News found hundreds of trailers still sitting in a facility in Georgia.

“I believe that this response has been chaotic, indecisive and has caused the loss of lives that was unnecessary and unacceptable,” says Bullock.

And while the overall situation has improved, the chaos on the ground drags on.
    to my great relief, Michael Brown -- that earnest, hard working, and able public servant -- has NOT been fired !!

Thankfully he is to resume his very important responsibilities protecting the people of America !!

"I have directed Mike Brown to return to administering FEMA nationally," Chertoff told a news conference in Baton Rouge.

thank goodness !!!

I am so relieved that he was not relieved from that important job providing relief.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    to my great relief, Michael Brown -- that earnest, hard working, and able public servant -- has NOT been fired !!

Thankfully he is to resume his very important responsibilities protecting the people of America !!

"I have directed Mike Brown to return to administering FEMA nationally," Chertoff told a news conference in Baton Rouge.

thank goodness !!!

I am so relieved that he was not relieved from that important job providing relief.
    Darn!!! I guess there goes Joebar's fall guy theory
    This is about the guy that told Cheney to go F himself...

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/9/9/153413/7797
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.