Page 54 of 71 FirstFirst ... 444495051525354555657585964 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1405
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    You do realize that the senate confirmed appointees don't you. Why does everyone thing that the President has this dictatorship type authority where he can just put someone in a position and be done with it? Our system is one of checks and balances, believe it or not both rebublican and democratic senators agreed on the appointment. I am not saying or implying in any way he was or is the right person for the job, but there is no one person to blame.
    I am, on balance, a fan of President Bush, but I think this is a bad argument. It smacks of "heads I win, tales you lose." If you insist on the Senate deferring to the president on judges (a low hurdle), you can't blame poor appointments in other cases on the Senate.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    "Room" has never been an issue. If "room" were all that is required, Alaska could hold a lot of people...
    Very true! LOTS of room up north but you just can't live there if you don't have antlers or fur!
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I am, on balance, a fan of President Bush, but I think this is a bad argument. It smacks of "heads I win, tales you lose." If you insist on the Senate deferring to the president on judges (a low hurdle), you can't blame poor appointments in other cases on the Senate.
    Not sure I follow. Regardles of who is in office the Senate must confirm political appointees, this is a good thing. If the president could just appoint without confimation then we would constantly be swinging form far right to far left depending on who was in office. As the system works now we stay pretty much in the middle ground.
    Not sure I follow. Regardles of who is in office the Senate must confirm political appointees, this is a good thing. If the president could just appoint without confimation then we would constantly be swinging form far right to far left depending on who was in office. As the system works now we stay pretty much in the middle ground.

If you are advocating that the Senate should vett HARD everyone of junior's appointees, I'm with you.

But in this govt, where the bushleaquers control the House, the senate, the White House, and the Judiciary -- one must be drinking some serious Kool-Aide to presuppose that any are.

BTW -- does no one on the right feel a little uncomfortable about junior appointing someone so utterly unqualified for that job --

they apparently didn't even do the most rudimentary sort of resume look (I'm sure MacDonald's does more comprehensive research on their burger flippers !!)
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/09/2005 at 12:23 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    I do recall seeing posts indicating that the levees could have been upgraded. But, what is the reference to praying for the levees about?
    I guess you agree that the US are a country with lots of reference to praying, far more than anything you would ever hear in a European country or from European authorities. I remember the Louisiana Governor calling her staff to prayer because she didn't know what else to do. But I was more referring to the lack of "belief" in scientific or engineering facts: it was clear it would happen (once in 65 years) and you had more than enough money ($2bn) to fix the problem. I mentioned it because you wrote something about not being rich or powerful enough, which simply wasn't the case. Fixing the levees (the cause of the major problems in NO) was well within your reach, had you listened to science and engineering.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    I heard you have already set up your spare room for them

its hard enough for me to alone, live with myself ...
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    If you are advocating that the Senate should vett HARD everyone of junior's appointees, I'm with you.

But in this govt, where the bushleaquers control the House, the senate, the White House, and the Judiciary -- one must be drinking some serious Kool-Aide to presuppose that any are.

BTW -- does no one on the right feel a little uncomfortable about junior appointing someone so utterly unqualified for that job --

they apparently didn't even do the most rudimentary sort of resume look (I'm sure MacDonald's does more comprehensive research on their urger flippers !!)
    That is why I am for senate confirmation. Come on Barye even your beloved Lieberman thought he was well qualified. How many times have they used the ability to fillibuster in the past? The republicans do not have 2/3 of the senate. If a person is nominated it is up to the Senate (rebublican and democrat) to check them out. If they (senators) failed to do what we empowered them to do then vote them out of office.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    its hard enough for me to alone, live with myself ...
    Somehow I find no shock and awe in that statement
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I think he is an Atheist and feels he is knocking only conservatives by making fun of religion.
    I didn't make fun of religion. I wrote praying and focusing on engineering (fixing the levees) are not mutually exclusive, and I guess we all agree that the levees could have been fixed with comparatively little input when compared to what it costs now. At least the Army Corps of Engineers wrote that (US2bn to make levees safe for Category 4 hurricanes, quoted further back in this thread).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    I didn't make fun of religion. I wrote praying and focusing on engineering (fixing the levees) are not mutually exclusive, and I guess we all agree that the levees could have been fixed with comparatively little input when compared to what it costs now. At least the Army Corps of Engineers wrote that (US2bn to make levees safe for Category 4 hurricanes, quoted further back in this thread).
    It is easy to say that in hindsight. There are thousands of projects that we would love to see upgraded and many upgrades would save lives if and when a disaster strikes. If we just look at levees along the Mississippi river that have the potential to flood we are probably looking at hundreds of billions of dollars in upgrade costs. As the population grows, it grows where there are jobs, ports along the rivers create jobs so people move there. It is predicted that there will be a massive earthquake along the New Madrid fault line that will cause massive flooding and cost thousands of lives. However, even with that prediction people continue to move to St. Louis MO, Memphis TN, and many other smaller towns along the river, and these same people vote down taxes to upgrade the levees. As with the majority of finacial undertakings it is a cost/risk analysis and for many many years the cost was minimal compared to the risk. Now in hindsight everyone can say the cost would have been minimal versus the risk.
    That is why I am for senate confirmation. Come on Barye even your beloved Lieberman thought he was well qualified. How many times have they used the ability to fillibuster in the past? The republicans do not have 2/3 of the senate. If a person is nominated it is up to the Senate (rebublican and democrat) to check them out. If they (senators) failed to do what we empowered them to do then vote them out of office.
    first Joe lieberman is an as (to paraphrase Tom Cruise's secret friend)

as is Joe biden, Joe Macarthy, Joseph Kennedy ...

But your advocacy of filibusters for resume padding liars is awe inspiring. I hope the bushleaquers on capital Hill soon adopt your ideas.

-- too bad though, that that strategy wouldn't of worked on the resume padding liar in chief ...
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    first Joe lieberman is an as (to paraphrase Tom Cruise's secret friend)

as is Joe biden, Joe Macarthy, Joseph Kennedy ...

But your advocacy of filibusters for resume padding liars is awe inspiring. I hope the bushleaquers on capital Hill soon adopt your ideas.

-- too bad though, that that strategy wouldn't of worked on the resume padding liar in chief ...
    I am impressed the you included the Kennedy clan in your dislike list, but even more so that you feel bad it would not work on Clinton (liar in chief)
    I am impressed the you included the Kennedy clan in your dislike list, but even more so that you feel bad it would not work on Clinton (liar in chief)

you probably understood, but nonetheless as a clafication, I was referring to Amassodor Joe Kennedy, bootlegger and apologist for hitler ...

And Clinton's lies were about personal mistakes, that he, embarrassed, tried to hide ...
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/09/2005 at 11:48 AM.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    you probably understood, but nonetheless as a clafication, I was referring to Amassodor Joe Kennedy, bootlegger and apologist for hitler ...

And Clinton's lies were about personal mistakes, that he, embarrassed, tried to hide ...
    I understood,

Politics on not

If someone lies to me, and they know without a shadow of a doubt that what they are saying is a lie, to me, that is a much worse offense than if someone tells me something that they beleive is true and then it turns out to be false.
    I don't think that's a fair example. No one I know says that anyone should defer to the President on judicial appointments. The issue there was that the Democrats wouldn't even allow the nominations out of committee for a *vote* by the full Senate. Brown's nomination got out of committe, and was voted on by the Senate. The President, however, clearly shouldn't have nominated him and the Senate should not have confirmed him.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    FEMA Chief Relieved of Katrina Duties
    Sep 09 1:14 PM US/Eastern

By LARA JAKES JORDAN
    Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON

Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael Brown is being removed from his role managing Hurricane Katrina relief efforts, The Associated Press has learned.

Brown is being sent back to Washington from Baton Rouge, where he was the primary official overseeing the federal government's response to the disaster, according to two federal officials who declined to be identified before the announcement.

they apparently didn't even do the most rudimentary sort of resume look (I'm sure MacDonald's does more comprehensive research on their burger flippers !!)
    Technically, I'm not on the right. But, I'm close enough to the right to respond to your query. I was very troubled by the apparent lack of "qualifications" of the FEMA leadership.

I suppose I'm even more troubled by how political and polarized our federal government has become. I think it leads to the type of finger pointing we're witnessing as it relates to Katrina -- all the while the needs of the displaced are growing.
    FEMA Chief Relieved of Katrina Duties
    Sep 09 1:14 PM US/Eastern

By LARA JAKES JORDAN
    Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON

Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael Brown is being removed from his role managing Hurricane Katrina relief efforts, The Associated Press has learned.

Brown is being sent back to Washington from Baton Rouge, where he was the primary official overseeing the federal government's response to the disaster, according to two federal officials who declined to be identified before the announcement.
    so sad...

any word on the guy who said: "Brownie, you're doin a heck of a job !!!" --- the guy who appointed him ---

I wonder if we can "relieve" him of his job too -- he needs a vacation !!!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    so sad...

any word on the guy who said: "Brownie, you're doin a heck of a job !!!" --- the guy who appointed him ---

I wonder if we can "relieve" him of his job too -- he needs a vacation !!!
    He will get a vacation in about 3 years Maybe his bro will then go to work
    Bye Brownie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -- FEMA director Michael Brown being sent back to
    Washington; Homeland Security Director Chertoff to announce new leader for on-the-ground Katrina relief efforts, senior administration official tells CNN.

I hope they fire his not knowing what's going on a$$....