Page 50 of 71 FirstFirst ... 40454647484950515253545560 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1405
  1. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #981  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I had asked this somewhere in this thread..

    Aquarium of America - fish kill
    Damn
  2. #982  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I had asked this somewhere in this thread..

    Aquarium of America - fish kill
    Anyone familiar with the Shedd in Chicago? Was this a comparable aquarium?
  3. #983  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    .........Apparently it came out today the reason that Red Cross was refused entrance to give food and water to those in need was because the Homeland Security for the state blocked them saying that the Gov gave a mandatary evac order and didn't want people to have the incentive to stay where they were. This part a total break down in the situation, IMHO....no matter if was a because of bad communication from the Gov or bad judgement from the Homeland side.........
    This is probably true. The interesting part is that the victims were trapped there and could not leave, however badly they wanted to. To say that this was a "break down in the situation" is a very charitable construction. This was a policy.
  4. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #984  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Bush called her for one of two reasons:

    a) To "urge" her to order a mandatory evacuation (which was done). Or...
    b) To ask her to ensure that an already ordered evacuation would actually be carried out. Which as we all now know, was not done.

    You seem to feel that you've dealt with a). This leaves b) which would seem to erode the ground from beneath you even worse.

    In your boating example, if I really, really wanted you to go boating and called to say, "Reassure me you are going boating", but you then didn't... well I probably would feel betrayed.
    The ball was already in motion to announce there was going to be a mandatory evac.. Bush had NOTHING to do with the mandatory evac. Plain and Simple, cut and dry.
  5. #985  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    The ball was already in motion to announce there was going to be a mandatory evac.. Bush had NOTHING to do with the mandatory evac. Plain and Simple, cut and dry.
    Nor should he. That would first and foremost be a local decision.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6. #986  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Anyone familiar with the Shedd in Chicago? Was this a comparable aquarium?
    Never been to the Chicago aquarium and I'm no purveyor of them - but I was amazed (and was sober ) with this NO aquarium.
  7. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #987  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    This is probably true. The interesting part is that the victims were trapped there and could not leave, however badly they wanted to. To say that this was a "break down in the situation" is a very charitable construction. This was a policy.
    I feel that is not true. I could imagine as far as some of the people on the streets, but it does don't excuse them stopping them from trying to treat the people at the Superdome.
  8. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #988  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Bush called her for one of two reasons:

    a) To "urge" her to order a mandatory evacuation (which was done). Or...
    That is the point he did not call to

    URGE:
    Source: Yahoo Dict.

    urge (rj) KEY

    VERB:
    urged , urg搏ng , urg搪s
    VERB:
    tr.

    To force or drive forward or onward; impel.
    To entreat earnestly and often repeatedly; exhort.
    To advocate earnestly the doing, consideration, or approval of; press for: urge passage of the bill; a speech urging moderation.
    To stimulate; excite: "It urged him to an intensity like madness" (D.H. Lawrence).
    To move or impel to action, effort, or speed; spur.
    VERB:
    intr.

    To exert an impelling force; push vigorously.
    To present a forceful argument, claim, or case.
    NOUN:

    The act of urging.

    An impulse that prompts action or effort: suppressed an urge to laugh.
    An involuntary tendency to perform a given activity; an instinct: "There is a human urge to clarify, rationalize, justify" (Leonard Bernstein).

    He called to get

    REASSURED
    Source: Yahoo Dict.

    re戢s新ure (r-shr) KEY

    TRANSITIVE VERB:
    re戢s新ured , re戢s新ur搏ng , re戢s新ures
    To restore confidence to.
    To assure again.
    To reinsure.
  9. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #989  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Cite the same article and have you confuse everyone - naw, keep drinking that kool-aid that daThomas makes. btw, where has that Queen been?
    What the hell is this supposed to mean?
  10. #990  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    That is the point he did not call to
    Next, will you look up the definition of the word "is"?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  11. #991  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    The ball was already in motion to announce there was going to be a mandatory evac.. Bush had NOTHING to do with the mandatory evac. Plain and Simple, cut and dry.
    Maybe I didn't make my point clearly enough. I'll grant that the evacuation order was in effect and Bush had nothing to do with it.

    Yet he still called the gov. and in the transcript you posted she said he'd called to:
    ensure that there would be a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans
    en新ure (n-shr) KEY

    TRANSITIVE VERB:
    en新ured , en新ur搏ng , en新ures
    To make sure or certain; insure

    He didn't make her sign any kind of order - it would appear he had doubts that she'd carry her own order out.
  12. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #992  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Maybe I didn't make my point clearly enough. I'll grant that the evacuation order was in effect and Bush had nothing to do with it.

    Yet he still called the gov. and in the transcript you posted she said he'd called to:
    en新ure (n-shr) KEY

    TRANSITIVE VERB:
    en新ured , en新ur搏ng , en新ures
    To make sure or certain; insure

    He didn't make her sign any kind of order - it would appear he had doubts that she'd carry her own order out.
    I would highly doubt that they would not order a mandatory evac.. It still does nothing to mitigate the fact that ATM's claim of "Bush getting the evac going" is complete and total GARBAGE.
  13. #993  
    Fish are jumping out of the water (literally) onto the banks near where the toxic waste is being poured into the lake.
  14. #994  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I would highly doubt that they would not order a mandatory evac.. It still does nothing to mitigate the fact that ATM's claim of "Bush getting the evac going" is complete and total GARBAGE.
    Can we get past the "Bush urged" thing? I've said I'll grant the point. The CNN transcript clearly differs from the major media accounts.

    Which leaves my 2nd option: Bush was not at all confident that Blanco would carry out the mandatory evac. Which, in fact, was not done. Why else would he call to "ensure that there would be a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans" - Blanco's words. Not mine. Not ATM's.
  15. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #995  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Which leaves my 2nd option: Bush was not at all confident that Blanco would carry out the mandatory evac. Which, in fact, was not done. Why else would he call to "ensure that there would be a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans" - Blanco's words. Not mine. Not ATM's.
    Who knows. Who cares. The ball was already rolling so the point is moot.
  16. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #996  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Fish are jumping out of the water (literally) onto the banks near where the toxic waste is being poured into the lake.
    Wouldn't you?
  17. #997  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Who knows. Who cares. The ball was already rolling so the point is moot.
    Because the ball started rolling and stopped before everyone possible had gotten out - this is evidence the President was actually on top of the situation instead of asleep at the switch - because you don't want to believe it, it's unimportant.

    See: Confirmation Bias
  18. #998  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Wouldn't you?
    Not everyone. Seems people are actually (voluntarily) swimming in that crap.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  19. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #999  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Because the ball started rolling and stopped before everyone possible had gotten out - this is evidence the President was actually on top of the situation instead of asleep at the switch - because you don't want to believe it, it's unimportant.

    See: Confirmation Bias
    Where was the ball stopping? I really don't want to get into a straw man arguement with you.
  20. #1000  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Not everyone. Seems people are actually (voluntarily) swimming in that crap.
    And God bless 'em for it.

Posting Permissions