Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst 123456789101555 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 1405
  1. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Who should I call? I am willing to go!!!!!! I tried calling the RedCross New Orleans chapter and no answer. Any ideas of who to call would be of great help. Once I get a go ahead from an official I'm out!!

    Just to nitpick it would be UP there, not down.
    NRG, I know you said you were interested in the New Orleans area, I doubt if you can get that far. Probably Biloxi, Gulfport MS. at best. If you get the OK and you need/can use financial support let me know.
  2. blueyz28's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Who should I call? I am willing to go!!!!!! I tried calling the RedCross New Orleans chapter and no answer. Any ideas of who to call would be of great help. Once I get a go ahead from an official I'm out!!

    Just to nitpick it would be UP there, not down.
    Try calling the Tampa/St. Pete branch...

    I'm in the same boat you are... one major storm surge and I lose EVERYTHING! There's no doubt in my mind after this that I'll leave if it heads for Tampa Bay!
  3. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    NRG, I know you said you were interested in the New Orleans area, I doubt if you can get that far. Probably Biloxi, Gulfport MS. at best. If you get the OK and you need/can use financial support let me know.
    Thanks Cardio. I should be alright. I think there will be a few ways of getting there, lake ponchatrain being one I would suppose, the North Shore. I am sure some of those folks running the mission would know how to get in and out.
  4. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by blueyz28
    Try calling the Tampa/St. Pete branch...

    I'm in the same boat you are... one major storm surge and I lose EVERYTHING! There's no doubt in my mind after this that I'll leave if it heads for Tampa Bay!
    Calling them now.

    Are you at the top of the bay?
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Doubt it. Most of these, if not all major cruise ships are not registered in USA. They are registered in Liberia, or Bahamas, etc. to steer clear of American law and taxes.
    Yes, the ships are not registered in this country (as you pointed out, to avoid taxes and labor laws), but the companies are. Most of the major cruise lines have their corporate HQ's down here in SoFla.
    I'm back!
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    The cost to Carnival Cruise Lines, etc. would be in the tens of millions if not 100's of millions of dollars. They have bookings for a couple of years in advance. The govt would have to pay the cruiselines $$ for them and their employees are not trained to handle the influx of these refugees. On top of that you would have refugees pissed on the accomondations of a premium room vs a crappy room, etc. The best thing is for tent type cities where everything is equal.
    It may be just me, I don't know, but the reference to these people as "refugees" does not sit right with me. I looked it up and here is the definition I found: "One who flees in search of refuge, as in times of war, political oppression, or religious persecution." So maybe it can be applicable but not a word I would use.

    I think as a part of the community, it would be an act of goodwill for Carnival, Royal, Celebrity or etc. to extend themselves to the community that they utilize. They make a living off of these communities so this is a time of need there, there is/was a port in NO, so if the Navy can get into there, they could too. Not to necessarily house indefinately, but to transport. I think the cuises are better qualifed to handle these people than the military because they are in the business of rendering personal service. The government cannot do everything.

    My 2.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

    Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  7. blueyz28's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Calling them now.

    Are you at the top of the bay?
    No... S. Tampa (it floods around here anyway with a good rainstorm!)
  8. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #88  
    Left message! Hmm must be busy. Hope to hear back from them soon.
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    you are offering terrific advice -- especially about evacuation via water using cruise ships etc.

    why were not the levees being more aggressively monitored ????

    35 % of louisiana national guard are deployed in iraq -- had they been here -- could the levee been saved ??

    It seems the levee failed 12 hours after the storrm -- was this preventable ??

    had it been watched more carefully would it have catastrophically failed ??

    I am asking because I genuinely don't know ...
    I went to bed Monday night thinking that we had dodged the bullet. I suppose most people thought so. There are tens to low hundreds of miles of levees in the city. Unless you live near one of the canals, the levees that one worries about are the lakefront levees. They are important only when there is a storm We do not worry much about the river levees; except for limited seepage underneath them, we trust the river levees.

    When I woke on Tuesday morning to "Lake New Orleans," my immediate reaction was lakefront levee. I was actually reassured when I heard that it was a canal levee. I immediately thought of sinking a barge in the canal. I thought it might take hours. I could not imagine that the situation was such that one could not find a barge or means to move it. (Easier to imagine than that they would simply wait for the water to rise. Part of the frustration here is with the silence of the Corps of Engineers and the absence of TV coverage of their efforts if any.)

    After the river levees, the people of NO trust the pumps. The pumps can remove an inch of water in the first hour and half and inch an hour every hour thereafter. That is about a foot a day. The pumps and their generators are now under water.

    Would God that there had been a small boy to give the alarm and put his finger in the levee.

    My field includes risk assessment and management. The field recognizes that no matter what you plan for, nature can always trump your plan. By definition, the more likely the event, the more you plan to resist it. One is a thousand times more likely to have a storm of Saffir Category 4 or below than to have a Category 5, a 4 is ten times as likely a 5. We also recognize that a Category 5 is so expensive to resist and so unlikely to occur that one accepts the risk and that remediation will be cheaper than prevention. It almost worked.

    That is why they are called Acts of God.
  10. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by blueyz28
    No... S. Tampa (it floods around here anyway with a good rainstorm!)
    Yeah it is pretty bad down that way by MacDill and Interbay.
  11. blueyz28's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Yeah it is pretty bad down that way by MacDill and Interbay.
    Oh you forgot "Lake Dale Mabry" (intersection of Dale Mabry and Neptune)...
  12. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Thanks Cardio. I should be alright. I think there will be a few ways of getting there, lake ponchatrain being one I would suppose, the North Shore. I am sure some of those folks running the mission would know how to get in and out.
    Good luck. I was just thinking about getting from Pensacola or Mobile west bound. I-10 is out so you would have to go north and I don't remember what decent road is available now. I spent 5 years in FL Panhandle (Fort Walton Beach) and one year in Biloxi MS, rode out a few storms, left Biloxi the day Destin was hit hard (forgot the storm name) in 96. The assistance offer will remain open till you are safe at home again.
  13. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by blueyz28
    Oh you forgot "Lake Dale Mabry" (intersection of Dale Mabry and Neptune)...
    Bluezy do you have an MCoupe?
  14. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Good luck. I was just thinking about getting from Pensacola or Mobile west bound. I-10 is out so you would have to go north and I don't remember what decent road is available now. I spent 5 years in FL Panhandle (Fort Walton Beach) and one year in Biloxi MS, rode out a few storms, left Biloxi the day Destin was hit hard (forgot the storm name) in 96. The assistance offer will remain open till you are safe at home again.
    Thanks for the offer. I am just waiting to hear back from my local RedCross chapter.
  15. blueyz28's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Bluezy do you have an MCoupe?
    No...
  16. #96  
    Even if the city's levees are repaired, now that the world and especially the terrorists see the achilles heal of New Orleans - how can the miles and miles of levees be protected from sabotage in the future?
  17. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by blueyz28
    No...
    OK, There was a guy that lives in Tampa that I used to know that I would see at the tracks for run what you brung events. His license plate read Bluezy. I noticed that your all's names are just slightly different, you have a y before the Z.
  18. blueyz28's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    OK, There was a guy that lives in Tampa that I used to know that I would see at the tracks for run what you brung events. His license plate read Bluezy. I noticed that your all's names are just slightly different, you have a y before the Z.
    I've seen him!!!
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I went to bed Monday night thinking that we had dodged the bullet. I suppose most people thought so. There are tens to low hundreds of miles of levees in the city. Unless you live near one of the canals, the levees that one worries about are the lakefront levees. They are important only when there is a storm We do not worry much about the river levees; except for limited seepage underneath them, we trust the river levees.

    When I woke on Tuesday morning to "Lake New Orleans," my immediate reaction was lakefront levee. I was actually reassured when I heard that it was a canal levee. I immediately thought of sinking a barge in the canal. I thought it might take hours. I could not imagine that the situation was such that one could not find a barge or means to move it. (Easier to imagine than that they would simply wait for the water to rise. Part of the frustration here is with the silence of the Corps of Engineers and the absence of TV coverage of their efforts if any.)

    After the river levees, the people of NO trust the pumps. The pumps can remove an inch of water in the first hour and half and inch an hour every hour thereafter. That is about a foot a day. The pumps and their generators are now under water.

    Would God that there had been a small boy to give the alarm and put his finger in the levee.

    My field includes risk assessment and management. The field recognizes that no matter what you plan for, nature can always trump your plan. By definition, the more likely the event, the more you plan to resist it. One is a thousand times more likely to have a storm of Saffir Category 4 or below than to have a Category 5, a 4 is ten times as likely a 5. We also recognize that a Category 5 is so expensive to resist and so unlikely to occur that one accepts the risk and that remediation will be cheaper than prevention. It almost worked.

    That is why they are called Acts of God.


    you seem to be the right person to ask ---

    why by design are the pumps not given a backup source of power --- and why are they configured so that a catastrophic flood can overwhelm them ??

    It would seem reasonable to keep vulnerable parts above any possible inundation ??
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    This is true, but this mean we should not try?
    Yes, it means exactly that. The risk of failure, which WILL happen, is too great.

Posting Permissions