Page 49 of 71 FirstFirst ... 39444546474849505152535459 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion

Maybe you should elaborate to ATM just what the Hell you were calling BS then, since it seems obvious to me.
    I think NRG didn't like how I had the article in my back pocket. I don't make stuff up here.

It's simple people - the local and state govt are responsible for first response.
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts

Maybe you should elaborate to ATM just what the Hell you were calling BS then, since it seems obvious to me.
    This would cast a bit of doubt on bush "urging" an evacuation.

Source: CNN Transcript
    GOV. KATHLEEN BLANCO, LOUISIANA: Thank you, Mayor.

I want to reiterate what the mayor has said. This is a very dangerous time. Just before we walked into this room, President Bush called and told me to share with all of you that he is very concerned about the citizens. He is concerned about the impact that this hurricane would have on our people. And he asked me to please ensure that there would be a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans
    It is nothing more than spin.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Is it spin or fact that local and state govt's are responsible for evacuations and first response?
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    ATM - Perhaps he meant the mandatory evacuation order issued before Katrina hit...

Miami Herald

It would seem Bush had to urge her to evacuate the city, not once, but twice. I've stopped watching Fox. Too much Geraldo.
    This article suffers the same fate from the transcript.

I don't understand the "spin" here. He called asking for assurance that the city would be evacuated.

Tell me, what should I read into this, since you seem to see something I don't. All I see is him calling her.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Is it spin or fact that local and state govt's are responsible for evacuations and first response?
    What about that phone call from bush getting the evac going which is fact?
    What about that phone call from bush getting the evac going which is fact?
    Please lay out in layman's terms what you are talking about.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I don't understand the "spin" here. He called asking for assurance that the city would be evacuated.

Tell me, what should I read into this, since you seem to see something I don't. All I see is him calling her.
    Addressing ATM's claim
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance the Man
    Local and state govt's are responsible for evacuating. Bush had to call the Governor to get the evacuation going. Pathetic
    The statement above is bunk. Period.

Asking someone to ensure something gets done is not urging? Huh?

If my boss asks me to ensure something gets done, he's urging me to do it.
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Asking someone to ensure something gets done is not urging? Huh?

If my boss asks me to ensure something gets done, he's urging me to do it.
    It was already done.
    Last edited by NRG; 09/07/2005 at 08:55 PM.
    NRG,

Have you ever used the phrase, "It depends upon what the meaning of the word is means. If is means is, and never has been, that's one thing. If it means, there is none, that was a completely true statement."

You eerily remind me of someone??
    Addressing ATM's claim
    The statement above is bunk. Period.
    I'll contact Washington Post for a full retraction of that article.
    It was already done.
    ensure that there would be a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans
    This was in fact not done. Hence the whole controversy.
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    This was in fact not done. Hence the whole controversy.
    Let me put it to you this way, What if you were going out boating and you've got the boat all gassed up, you got your suntan lotion packed, the boat is in the water and you are ready to go. Then I call you just before you are about to get on the boat and say, "Reassure me you are going boating". Would you say my call to you got you boating? Would you say I was urging you to go boating? No probably not. You would probably say that you going boating was a done deal.
  15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    NRG,

Have you ever used the phrase, "It depends upon what the meaning of the word is means. If is means is, and never has been, that's one thing. If it means, there is none, that was a completely true statement."

You eerily remind me of someone??
    Face it, your original claim that "Bush got the evacuation going" is misleading at best, and flat out lying at worst!
    Face it, your original claim that "Bush got the evacuation going" is misleading at best, and flat out lying at worst!
    Thank God President Bush talked the Governor into evacuating or it would of been A LOT worse!
  17. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Thank God President Bush talked the Governor into evacuating or it would of been A LOT worse!
    Please cite were Bush talked the Gov. into evacuating? You make the claim here but it is does not make it any less false. This whole notion that Bush got the evac going is bunk.
    I had asked this somewhere in this thread..

Aquarium of America - fish kill
    Let me put it to you this way, What if you were going out boating and you've got the boat all gassed up, you got your suntan lotion packed, the boat is in the water and you are ready to go. Then I call you just before you are about to get on the boat and say, "Reassure me you are going boating". Would you say my call to you got you boating? Would you say I was urging you to go boating? No probably not. You would probably say that you going boating was a done deal.
    Bush called her for one of two reasons:

a) To "urge" her to order a mandatory evacuation (which was done). Or...
    b) To ask her to ensure that an already ordered evacuation would actually be carried out. Which as we all now know, was not done.

You seem to feel that you've dealt with a). This leaves b) which would seem to erode the ground from beneath you even worse.

In your boating example, if I really, really wanted you to go boating and called to say, "Reassure me you are going boating", but you then didn't... well I probably would feel betrayed.
    Please cite were Bush talked the Gov. into evacuating? You make the claim here but it is does not make it any less false.
    Cite the same article and have you confuse everyone - naw, keep drinking that kool-aid that daThomas makes. btw, where has that Queen been?