Page 47 of 71 FirstFirst ... 37424344454647484950515257 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    Cardio -- were you in the midst of a "lives in the balance" situation during your photo ops ??
    During the terrorist bombings of the base building in Europe, YES. Y2K we were not sure what to expect. Immediately post 9/11, photo-op was on the 12th so YES. Was I pissed that I was told to be in photo instead of digging through collapsed building, you bet I was. Did I voice my displeasure, yes, was I reprimanded for it, again yes (formal reprimand in Europe).
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Yesterday you had commented on five or six things you had not links to. I did searches and could not substantiate your comments based on liberal blogs. Did you ever find the links to prove the blog claims?

fair question.

I said I was going to attempt to find the network news video about the midwest bottlers who were turned down by FEMA --

I haven't had a chance yet. Pretty busy yesterday & today. shouldn't be here...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    I am adding this paragraph to the end of the article I quoted above:

...the airline industry said the government's request for help evacuating storm victims didn't come until late Thursday afternoon. The president of the Air Transport Association, James May, said the Homeland Security Department called then to ask whether the group could participate in an airlift for refugees.
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/07/2005 at 11:34 AM.
    fair question.

I said I was going to attempt to find the network news video about the midwest bottlers who were turned down by FEMA --

I haven't had a chance yet. Pretty busy yesterday & today. shouldn't be here...
    Well I understand, I'm gonna sign off to get some work done as well. I suppose I sort of understand you now. You make claims that are only that. You are the liberal blog voice right here on TC O/T. Sort of Jesse Jackson type. Make an outrageous claim to stir debate, but never provide the proof. I don't mind it - just know that I will call you on it. Look forward to you providing a link to prove each of those six 'claims' you made from a reliable source.
    Well I understand, I'm gonna sign off to get some work done as well. I suppose I sort of understand you now. You make claims that are only that. You are the liberal blog voice right here on TC O/T. Sort of Jesse Jackson type. Make an outrageous claim to stir debate, but never provide the proof. I don't mind it - just know that I will call you on it. Look forward to you providing a link to prove each of those six 'claims' you made from a reliable source.

in "fairness" most of the items listed were from the postings of others.

The 2 that take direct responsibility for are the Midwest bottlers story, and the move of the USS Bataan away from where it was desperately needed, to Biloxi MS.
    I am adding this paragraph to the end of the article I quoted above:

...the airline industry said the government's request for help evacuating storm victims didn't come until late Thursday afternoon. The president of the Air Transport Association, James May, said the Homeland Security Department called then to ask whether the group could participate in an airlift for refugees.
    ...The airport couldn't even take commercial airliners until Friday...
    ...the move of the USS Bataan away from where it was desperately needed, to Biloxi MS.
    Where it was also desperately needed as was pointed out in an earlier post.
    What is FEMA doing!!! This is an article from our local news.
    FHP Helps Docs, Nurses Turned Away By FEMA Reach Storm Victims

POSTED: 5:53 pm EDT September 6, 2005

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- A medical mercy mission to a Mississippi city ravaged by hurricane-ravaged almost didn't happen.

Doctors and nurses with HealthSouth St. Augustine Sugery Center said Federal Emergency Management Agency officials refused to let their group carrying staff and a trailer of medical supplies into the restricted area.

"'Go home, we don't need you,'" Kathleen Floyan of HealthSouth said they were told. "If it wasn't for our state of Florida Highway Patrolmen ... (who) told us. 'Follow us, we'll put you in this location.' They put us across from the Waveland, Miss., Police Department."

The city, right on the water southwest of Biloxi, was almost leveled by Hurricane Katrina. Residents there said they felt forgotten, abandoned and neglected.

"They were devastated before they were banging on the door of the R.V.," registered nurse Cindee Wade said.

Katrina's victims were wheeled to these doctors in shopping carts or carried by relatives.

People brought injured hurricane victims to the doctors and nurse from St. Augustine any way they could.

The doctors said one woman in a wheelchair would have died without kidney dialysis. The St Augustine crew arranged to have her taken by air ambulance to a hospital in Mobile.

"It was incredible. We had tears; we had hugs," HealthSouth physician Dr. Robert de la Torre told Channel 4's Bruce Hamilton. "We saw all kinds of people just grateful for us being there."

The doctors and nurses left wishing they could stay longer, so they're organizing another relief effort and plan a return trip.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizd4Life
    What is FEMA doing!!! This is an article from our local news.
    FHP Helps Docs, Nurses Turned Away By FEMA Reach Storm Victims

POSTED: 5:53 pm EDT September 6, 2005

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- A medical mercy mission to a Mississippi city ravaged by hurricane-ravaged almost didn't happen.

Doctors and nurses with HealthSouth St. Augustine Sugery Center said Federal Emergency Management Agency officials refused to let their group carrying staff and a trailer of medical supplies into the restricted area.

"'Go home, we don't need you,'" Kathleen Floyan of HealthSouth said they were told. "If it wasn't for our state of Florida Highway Patrolmen ... (who) told us. 'Follow us, we'll put you in this location.' They put us across from the Waveland, Miss., Police Department."

The city, right on the water southwest of Biloxi, was almost leveled by Hurricane Katrina. Residents there said they felt forgotten, abandoned and neglected.

"They were devastated before they were banging on the door of the R.V.," registered nurse Cindee Wade said.

Katrina's victims were wheeled to these doctors in shopping carts or carried by relatives.

People brought injured hurricane victims to the doctors and nurse from St. Augustine any way they could.

The doctors said one woman in a wheelchair would have died without kidney dialysis. The St Augustine crew arranged to have her taken by air ambulance to a hospital in Mobile.

"It was incredible. We had tears; we had hugs," HealthSouth physician Dr. Robert de la Torre told Channel 4's Bruce Hamilton. "We saw all kinds of people just grateful for us being there."

The doctors and nurses left wishing they could stay longer, so they're organizing another relief effort and plan a return trip.
    OK, so a group of medical staff were not allowed into a restricted area. They instead set up operations outside of the restricted area and cared for injured people.

I have really refrained from doing this, but

This is from 11 years experience in the firefighting proffesion to include being the on-scene commander during structural fires to aircraft crashes to builidng collapse, to water rescue operations

In any emergency situation the on-scene commander must take into consideration the safety of the individuals being asked to go into a hazardous situation. When someone comes on scene and volunteers to assist you must make a judgement call as to their ability to help vs the possibility of them hindering the operation and/or them becoming another victim. In a small scale situation the on-scene commander should designate an individual to maintain an exact count of how many rescuers, firefighters and emergency service personell are in the hot zone (builidng, aircraft, cave, etc) and have a way to identify who each person is. For an emergency situation of this size it is impossible to know who is where, but they still try to maintain some order to who is going into the restricted area. The key being restricted area, do we know if the team referenced above was asked to relocate to safer area and assist as they did? The person on-scene has a much greater understanding of what is going on in that area and what is needed there at that moment, I have no way of knowing why they did not set up right there, maybe their abilities were not needed at that location. I have turned down people volunteering to help even though they told me they were trained and had what appeared to be the correct gear to match their claims, but i did not know. I vounteered to assist at a multiple vehicle accident with victims trapped in vehicles, I was trained in extraction procedures and had done so many times. I was a registered EMT with my card in my posession and volunteered to help with first aid if needed. The on-scene commander did not know me or my ability, she asked me if I would help with mixing gatorade to serve to the emergency crews working the situation. That is what I did, at that time I had 8+ years experience in firefighting and rescue but I gladly mixed gatorade.

I am sure if the professional medical staff was turned away and told to go home that someone on that staff took the time to get that individuals name. If so then that person will have to answer the questions as to why they did not utilize the crew that was there and they may have a vaild reason but they may not. We have no way of knowing the full story so let's not judge that indiviudals actions yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    OK, so a group of medical staff were not allowed into a restricted area. They instead set up operations outside of the restricted area and cared for injured people.

I have really refrained from doing this, but

This is from 11 years experience in the firefighting proffesion to include being the on-scene commander during structural fires to aircraft crashes to builidng collapse, to water rescue operations

In any emergency situation the on-scene commander must take into consideration the safety of the individuals being asked to go into a hazardous situation. When someone comes on scene and volunteers to assist you must make a judgement call as to their ability to help vs the possibility of them hindering the operation and/or them becoming another victim. In a small scale situation the on-scene commander should designate an individual to maintain an exact count of how many rescuers, firefighters and emergency service personell are in the hot zone (builidng, aircraft, cave, etc) and have a way to identify who each person is. For an emergency situation of this size it is impossible to know who is where, but they still try to maintain some order to who is going into the restricted area. The key being restricted area, do we know if the team referenced above was asked to relocate to safer area and assist as they did? The person on-scene has a much greater understanding of what is going on in that area and what is needed there at that moment, I have no way of knowing why they did not set up right there, maybe their abilities were not needed at that location. I have turned down people volunteering to help even though they told me they were trained and had what appeared to be the correct gear to match their claims, but i did not know. I vounteered to assist at a multiple vehicle accident with victims trapped in vehicles, I was trained in extraction procedures and had done so many times. I was a registered EMT with my card in my posession and volunteered to help with first aid if needed. The on-scene commander did not know me or my ability, she asked me if I would help with mixing gatorade to serve to the emergency crews working the situation. That is what I did, at that time I had 8+ years experience in firefighting and rescue but I gladly mixed gatorade.

I am sure if the professional medical staff was turned away and told to go home that someone on that staff took the time to get that individuals name. If so then that person will have to answer the questions as to why they did not utilize the crew that was there and they may have a vaild reason but they may not. We have no way of knowing the full story so let's not judge that indiviudals actions yet.
    They just need to get off their a$$ and help these people! That's all I'm concerned about. If they would have acted earlier then it could have prevented allot of these tragedies. Stop talking, stop pointing fingers and lets see some action.!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    They just need to get off their a$$ and help these people! That's all I'm concerned about. If they would have acted earlier then it could have prevented allot of these tragedies. Stop talking, stop pointing fingers and lets see some action.!
    Who? This has been beat to death. Everyone agrees action should have happened earlier. Even before the storm hit (evacuation) through today post storm mandatory evacuation. We have all seen the stories, articles and blogs of how people were turned away from helping. We do not know the circumstance of if and why and as I said Do not judge these individuals yet, if they turned away help there may be a very good reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Who? This has been beat to death. Everyone agrees action should have happened earlier. Even before the storm hit (evacuation) through today post storm mandatory evacuation. We have all seen the stories, articles and blogs of how people were turned away from helping. We do not know the circumstance of if and why and as I said Do not judge these individuals yet, if they turned away help there may be a very good reason.
    And you don't know the circumstances surrounding the evacuees.....
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    And you don't know the circumstances surrounding the evacuees.....
    OK, I just know they were not evacuated with the bus fleet as promised in the NO city disaster guide.
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    How many people where left in NO? Aguess is good enough right now.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    How many people where left in NO? Aguess is good enough right now.
    Not sure if anyone knows.

If you are going where I think you are going how large is the school bus fleet and the city bus fleet? At 60 people per bus a lot of people could be moved in fairly short time frame compared to moving them post storm through the floods.
    FEMA "No pixs of dead people"

Figured I would post this for the libs out there. The aclu should get involved and demand these photos be shown to the world. Bush and his little buddy Brownie should be thrown in jail for not allowing these pixs be shown.
    Excellent editorial: http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110007219

The author was a former state legislator who represented the legislative district most impacted by the eruption of Mount St. Helens in 1980.
    Mike Brown may be fired in the end. The pre-storm problem getting people out of NO is the fault of the Governor and the Mayor - nothing to do with FEMA and Bush.
    Yes, and who's to blame for the handling of the post-storm?

Great op/ed. I am not attempting to excuse some of the delays in FEMA's response. Congress and the president need to take corrective action there, also. However, if citizens expect FEMA to be a first responder to terrorist attacks or other local emergencies (earthquakes, forest fires, volcanoes), they will be disappointed. The federal government's role is to offer aid upon request.
    Yup, more spin. Just like the coffins comin home from Iraq.