Page 4 of 71 FirstFirst 1234567891454 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 1405
  1. #61  
    Please everyone, do not bring politics in this thread. Absolutely nothing anyone blue or red could have done for the levees. The eventual destruction began probably in the 1700's when a group of people thought it was a good idea to start a city in a swamp.
  2. #62  
    Unbelievable. Well, I give you guys credit for waiting 48 hours before you pushed the blame agenda into motion.

    Disgusting.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3. #63  
    Wow, now they're evacuating people from the Superdome to the Astrodome in Houston!!

    Once again, leave your politics out of this. I doubt these people give a hoot about that right now.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  4. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #64  
    There was mention that there was white caps on Canal St.. Wow
  5. #65  
    The federal and local governments New Orleans are doing all they can considering the circumstances to rescue those people in need . I agree with Insertion, if you have genuine questions regarding the levee and pump system in New Orleans that's one thing, but the blame game will solve nothing and will only incite those feeling the effects of this tragedy to increased anger.....
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Wow, now they're evacuating people from the Superdome to the Astrodome in Houston!!

    whmurray's idea of using hospital & cruiseships seems smarter & smarter to me -- they are floating hotels intended to be lived in for lengthy periods of time
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  7. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #67  
    Here is a pretty good animation of what happens to New Orleans as the water rises.

    http://www.nasa.gov/mov/126394main_pia04175.mov
  8. #68  
    What happened to the cruise ships that were mentioned on the news to evacuate? Maybe they can't safely enter and exit the city.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

    Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  9. #69  
    Have to agree that the political crap from the left is stomach turning. STFU!!

    My prayers go out to those in the area. I agree that no matter what planning was in place mother nature has always the power to trump our best efforts. This is documented thousands of time throughout history. So Barye stop asking stupid questions.

    Now I have one of my own. A question that is.

    Where is the international support? Why havent other countries pledged support? I guess our disasters just dont count in the eyes of the world.

    Lord please watch over those folks in the hurricane zone and protect them. Help those searching for loved ones to find them and shelter those in need. Strengthen the rescuers and steady their resolve in the efforts to help. Amen.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  10. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    whmurray's idea of using hospital & cruiseships seems smarter & smarter to me -- they are floating hotels intended to be lived in for lengthy periods of time
    The Navy has vessels steaming towards the Gulf, the Red Cross has vessels going to the Gulf. It takes time to get there. I am sure the private corporations will send in their cruise ships as soon as the get the OK that it is safe to do so.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Have to agree that the political crap from the left is stomach turning. STFU!!

    My prayers go out to those in the area. I agree that no matter what planning was in place mother nature has always the power to trump our best efforts. This is documented thousands of time throughout history. So Barye stop asking stupid questions.

    Now I have one of my own. A question that is.

    Where is the international support? Why havent other countries pledged support? I guess our disasters just dont count in the eyes of the world.

    Lord please watch over those folks in the hurricane zone and protect them. Help those searching for loved ones to find them and shelter those in need. Strengthen the rescuers and steady their resolve in the efforts to help. Amen.
    I'm sure Clulup will have a matrix with raw and per capita donations for us soon enough. I fully expect Switzerland and the rest of the tiny European nations to be near the top of the matrix, since they gave so much to tsunami relief.
    I'm back!
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Now I have one of my own. A question that is.

    Where is the international support? Why havent other countries pledged support? I guess our disasters just dont count in the eyes of the world.
    I was wondering the same thing. Maybe it's coming in and we don't know about it, there are so many things going on at the same time now with the natural disaster as well as the oil problem.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

    Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  13. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #73  
    They are bringing in the LCACs. Cool!!!


    Description: Air cushion craft for transporting, ship-to-shore and across the beach, personnel, weapons, equipment, and cargo of the assault elements of the Marine Air-Ground Task Force.

    Features: The Landing Craft Air Cushion (LCAC) is a high-speed, over-the-beach fully amphibious landing craft, capable of carrying a 60-75 ton payload. It is used to transport the weapons systems, equipment, cargo and personnel of the assault elements of the Marine Air-Ground Task Force from ship to shore and across the beach. LCAC can carry heavy payloads, such as an M-1 tank, at high speeds. The LCAC payload capability and speed combine to significantly increase the ability of the Marine Ground Element to reach the shore. Air cushion technology allows this vehicle to reach more than 70 percent of the world's coastline, while only about 15 percent of that coastline is accessible by conventional landing craft.

    Background: Concept Design of the present day LCAC began in the early 1970s with the full-scale Amphibious Assault Landing Craft (AALC) test vehicle. During the advanced development stage, two prototypes where built. JEFF A was designed and built by Aerojet General in California. JEFF B was designed and built by Bell Aerospace in New Orleans, Louisiana. These two craft confirmed the technical feasibility and operational capability that ultimately led to the production of LCAC. JEFF B was selected as the design basis for today’s LCAC.

    The first LCAC was delivered to the Navy in 1984 and Initial Operational Capability (IOC) was achieved in 1986. Approval for full production was granted in 1987. After an initial 15-craft production competition contract was awarded to each of two companies, Textron Marine and Land Systems (TMLS) of New Orleans, La., and Avondale Gulfport Marine, TMLS was selected to build the remaining craft. A total of ninety-one LCAC have now been built. The final craft, LCAC 91, was delivered to the U.S. Navy in 2001. This craft served as the basis for the Navy’s LCAC Service Life Extension Program (SLEP). To date three operational craft have been delivered to the Navy in the SLEP configuration.

    -snip-

    And video here: http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/...misc/lcac1.mov

    http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/...ship-lcac.html
  14. #74  
    The cost to Carnival Cruise Lines, etc. would be in the tens of millions if not 100's of millions of dollars. They have bookings for a couple of years in advance. The govt would have to pay the cruiselines $$ for them and their employees are not trained to handle the influx of these refugees. On top of that you would have refugees pissed on the accomondations of a premium room vs a crappy room, etc. The best thing is for tent type cities where everything is equal.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    I was wondering the same thing. Maybe it's coming in and we don't know about it, there are so many things going on at the same time now with the natural disaster as well as the oil problem.
    Just heard on cbs that relief is flooding from all over THE COUNTRY. No mention of any international help.

    They also said they need anyone with a boat to help. So NRG get off your **** and get down there.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  16. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    The cost to Carnival Cruise Lines, etc. would be in the tens of millions if not 100's of millions of dollars. They have bookings for a couple of years in advance. The govt would have to pay the cruiselines $$ for them and their employees are not trained to handle the influx of these refugees.
    So right you are.
  17. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    The cost to Carnival Cruise Lines, etc. would be in the tens of millions if not 100's of millions of dollars. They have bookings for a couple of years in advance. The govt would have to pay the cruiselines $$ for them and their employees are not trained to handle the influx of these refugees. On top of that you would have refugees pissed on the accomondations of a premium room vs a crappy room, etc. The best thing is for tent type cities where everything is equal.
    I wonder if the U.S. goverment has anything like the CRAF (Civil Reserve Air Fleet) with cruise ships? I know we can utilize civilian owned aircraft when needed for emergency situations to include military and humanitarian operations.
  18. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Just heard on cbs that relief is flooding from all over THE COUNTRY. No mention of any international help.

    They also said they need anyone with a boat to help. So NRG get off your **** and get down there.
    Who should I call? I am willing to go!!!!!! I tried calling the RedCross New Orleans chapter and no answer. Any ideas of who to call would be of great help. Once I get a go ahead from an official I'm out!!

    Just to nitpick it would be UP there, not down.
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    I wonder if the U.S. goverment has anything like the CRAF (Civil Reserve Air Fleet) with cruise ships? I know we can utilize civilian owned aircraft when needed for emergency situations to include military and humanitarian operations.
    Doubt it. Most of these, if not all major cruise ships are not registered in USA. They are registered in Liberia, or Bahamas, etc. to steer clear of American law and taxes.
  20. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    I wonder if the U.S. goverment has anything like the CRAF (Civil Reserve Air Fleet) with cruise ships? I know we can utilize civilian owned aircraft when needed for emergency situations to include military and humanitarian operations.
    They did this during WWII with cruise ships.
Page 4 of 71 FirstFirst 1234567891454 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions