Page 37 of 71 FirstFirst ... 27323334353637383940414247 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 740 of 1405
  1. #721  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    It would be wonderful wouldn't it? First let's be sure that we can feed and house them. So far it does not look good.
    Agreed.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  2. #722  
    I don't know if they intentionally withheld relief or not. They certainly didnt encourage it: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/9/3/171718/0826

    Just to give you a sense of just how badly FEMA has f*cked up.
    Posted by Clark Warner on September 3, 2005 - 2:23pm.
    This is beyond my comprehension and after spending two frustrating days trying to just get someone to let us help we've FINNALLY been told we can conduct "renegade" boat rescues via the just concluded press conference that Gov. Blanco just held.

    Why is this JUST NOW being allowed? Well let's start from the very beginning.

    On Wednesday morning a group of approximately 1,000 citizens pulling 500 boats left the Acadiana Mall in Lafayette in the early morning and headed to New Orleans with a police escort from the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Department. The flotillia of trucks pulling boats stretched over FIVE miles. This citizen rescue group was organized by La. State Senator, Nick Gautreaux from Vermilion Parish. The group was comprised of experienced boaters, licensed fishermen and hunters, people who have spent their entire adult life and teenage years on the waterways of Louisiana.


    The State Police waved the flotillia of trucks/boats through the barricades in LaPlace and we sped into New Orleans via I-10 until past the airport and near the Clearview exit. At that time we were stopped by agents of the FEMA controlled La. Dept. of Wildlife & Fisheries.

    A young DWF agent strolled through the boats and told approximately half of the citizens that their boats were too large because the water had dropped during the night and that they should turn around and go home.

    They were pulling a large (24ft) shallow draft aluminum boat that can safely carry 12 passengers and had ramp access which would allow the elderly and infirm to have easier access to the boat. They then politely informed the DWF agent that the local and national media had consistently reported that the water level had risen during the night which contradicted his statement to them that the water was dropping and no boat over 16ft. in length would be allowed to participate in rescue operations.

    They then specifically asked the DWF agent that they (and other citizens in the flotillia) be allowed to go to the hospitals and help evacuate the sick and the doctors and nurses stranded there. They offered to bring these people back to Lafayette, in our own vehicles, in order to ensure that they received proper and prompt medical care.

    The DWF agent did not want to hear this and ordered them home -- ALL FIVE HUNDRED BOATS. They complied with the DWF agent's orders, turned around and headed back to Lafayette along with half of the flotillia. However, two friends were pulling a smaller 15ft alumaweld with a 25 hp. The DWF agents let them through to proceed to the rescue operation launch site.

    They were allowed to drive to the launch site where the FEMA controlled La. Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries were launching their rescue operations (via boat). They reported to me that there were over 200 DWF agents just standing around and doing nothing. They were kept there for approximately 3 hours. During that time they observed a large number of DWF agents doing absolutely nothing. Why? Because FEMA would n ot let them HELP! After three hours had passed they were told that they were not needed and should go home. They complied with the DWF's orders and turned around and went home to Lafayette.

    Watching CNN later that night, there was a telephone interview with a Nurse trapped in Charity Hospital in New Orleans. She said that there were over 1,000 people trapped inside of the hospital and that the doctors and nurses had zero medical supplies, no diesel to run the generators and that only three people had been rescued from the hospital since the Hurricane hit!

    I can't come up with one logical reason why the DWF sent this large group of 500 boats/1000 men home when we surely could have rescued most, if not all, of the people trapped in Charity Hospital. Further, we had the means to immediately transport these people to hospitals in Southwest Louisiana.

    On Tuesday afternoon, August 30, Jefferson Parish Sheriff Harry Lee asked for all citizens with boats to come to the aid of Jefferson Parish. A short time later Dwight Landreneau, the head of the La. Depart. of Wildlife and Fisheries, got on television and remarked that his agency had things under control and citizen help was not needed. Apparently, Sheriff Lee did not agree with that assessment and had one of his deputies provide the Lafayette flotillia with an escort into Jefferson Parish.

    Sheriff Lee and Senator Gautreaux - 1000 of Louisiana's citizens responded to the public's pleas for help. They were prevented from helping by Dwight Landreneau's agency, the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries which had been taken over by FEMA. When I learned that Charity Hospital has not been evacuated and that no one has been there to attempt a rescue, I became angry.

    It was because of this that my friend and I have been trying launch boats both yesterday and today but to no avail. It looks like FINALLY the Governor has just said SCREW FEMA, get those boats in the water and help save my citizens.

    So I think we'll be in the water tomorrow to help but for now I'm immensely frustrated.

    If there is anyone on the CCN that is in the Baton Rouge area we are meeting today at the LA State Dem Party HQ at 2pm CST to game out tomorrow.


    http://securingamerica.com/ccn/node/357#comment-6515
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  3. #723  
    T-Mobile has raised a high-capacity diesel powered cell tower on the roof of the Crowne Plaza Hotel in the CBD of New Orleans. They have opened it up to roaming for any GSM/GPRS phone.

    T-Mobile says that their switch has remained up and connected during the entire storm and flood. (Consistent with the reports from mgno.com.)

    Now if one can just charge batteries. If one has the right cable, one may be able to charge a Treo battery off of any automobile, even if the automobile itself will not run. I used to be able to run my Treo 270 off of a standard 9v. using a special adapter. Any such thing for the 650?

    Way to go T-Mo!
  4. #724  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki
    I don't know if they intentionally withheld relief or not. They certainly didnt encourage it: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/9/3/171718/0826

    Just to give you a sense of just how badly FEMA has f*cked up.
    Posted by Clark Warner on September 3, 2005 - 2:23pm.
    This is beyond my comprehension and after spending two frustrating days trying to just get someone to let us help we've FINNALLY been told we can conduct "renegade" boat rescues via the just concluded press conference that Gov. Blanco just held.

    Why is this JUST NOW being allowed? Well let's start from the very beginning.

    On Wednesday morning a group of approximately 1,000 citizens pulling 500 boats left the Acadiana Mall in Lafayette in the early morning and headed to New Orleans with a police escort from the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Department. The flotillia of trucks pulling boats stretched over FIVE miles. This citizen rescue group was organized by La. State Senator, Nick Gautreaux from Vermilion Parish. The group was comprised of experienced boaters, licensed fishermen and hunters, people who have spent their entire adult life and teenage years on the waterways of Louisiana.


    The State Police waved the flotillia of trucks/boats through the barricades in LaPlace and we sped into New Orleans via I-10 until past the airport and near the Clearview exit. At that time we were stopped by agents of the FEMA controlled La. Dept. of Wildlife & Fisheries.

    A young DWF agent strolled through the boats and told approximately half of the citizens that their boats were too large because the water had dropped during the night and that they should turn around and go home.

    They were pulling a large (24ft) shallow draft aluminum boat that can safely carry 12 passengers and had ramp access which would allow the elderly and infirm to have easier access to the boat. They then politely informed the DWF agent that the local and national media had consistently reported that the water level had risen during the night which contradicted his statement to them that the water was dropping and no boat over 16ft. in length would be allowed to participate in rescue operations.

    They then specifically asked the DWF agent that they (and other citizens in the flotillia) be allowed to go to the hospitals and help evacuate the sick and the doctors and nurses stranded there. They offered to bring these people back to Lafayette, in our own vehicles, in order to ensure that they received proper and prompt medical care.

    The DWF agent did not want to hear this and ordered them home -- ALL FIVE HUNDRED BOATS. They complied with the DWF agent's orders, turned around and headed back to Lafayette along with half of the flotillia. However, two friends were pulling a smaller 15ft alumaweld with a 25 hp. The DWF agents let them through to proceed to the rescue operation launch site.

    They were allowed to drive to the launch site where the FEMA controlled La. Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries were launching their rescue operations (via boat). They reported to me that there were over 200 DWF agents just standing around and doing nothing. They were kept there for approximately 3 hours. During that time they observed a large number of DWF agents doing absolutely nothing. Why? Because FEMA would n ot let them HELP! After three hours had passed they were told that they were not needed and should go home. They complied with the DWF's orders and turned around and went home to Lafayette.

    Watching CNN later that night, there was a telephone interview with a Nurse trapped in Charity Hospital in New Orleans. She said that there were over 1,000 people trapped inside of the hospital and that the doctors and nurses had zero medical supplies, no diesel to run the generators and that only three people had been rescued from the hospital since the Hurricane hit!

    I can't come up with one logical reason why the DWF sent this large group of 500 boats/1000 men home when we surely could have rescued most, if not all, of the people trapped in Charity Hospital. Further, we had the means to immediately transport these people to hospitals in Southwest Louisiana.

    On Tuesday afternoon, August 30, Jefferson Parish Sheriff Harry Lee asked for all citizens with boats to come to the aid of Jefferson Parish. A short time later Dwight Landreneau, the head of the La. Depart. of Wildlife and Fisheries, got on television and remarked that his agency had things under control and citizen help was not needed. Apparently, Sheriff Lee did not agree with that assessment and had one of his deputies provide the Lafayette flotillia with an escort into Jefferson Parish.

    Sheriff Lee and Senator Gautreaux - 1000 of Louisiana's citizens responded to the public's pleas for help. They were prevented from helping by Dwight Landreneau's agency, the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries which had been taken over by FEMA. When I learned that Charity Hospital has not been evacuated and that no one has been there to attempt a rescue, I became angry.

    It was because of this that my friend and I have been trying launch boats both yesterday and today but to no avail. It looks like FINALLY the Governor has just said SCREW FEMA, get those boats in the water and help save my citizens.

    So I think we'll be in the water tomorrow to help but for now I'm immensely frustrated.

    If there is anyone on the CCN that is in the Baton Rouge area we are meeting today at the LA State Dem Party HQ at 2pm CST to game out tomorrow.


    http://securingamerica.com/ccn/node/357#comment-6515

    Thank for posting that letter -- that entire letter!!

    It confirms what I have believed from the beginning, have inferred from news stories and video -- but this is finally an eyewitness who provides us with what they directly observed and experienced.

    I hope these men brave good men know what awaits them.

    If the media starts to pay attention to their story --they will know that the term "swift boating" has for them a whole new meaning.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  5. #725  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    10-4, I was angry at you , you make valid points then you lash out and make talking point accusations that imply Bush doesn't mind poor and black people to die and theat it wouldn't happen in Florida. btw, I don't think it would happen in Florida. I don't think there is anywhere a flooding problem would occur like in NO and our Governor is a better governor than Louisana's. Go back before Jeb Bush when we had democratic gov's and I still think we were better prepared for hurricanes. Other t/c posters will agree with me, the local and state govt here scares the bejesus out of us until we do evacuate. I know in NE Fla we do have local (let me reiterate LOCAL - not the Federal Govt job) to evacuate ALL races of people and ALL economic classes.



    (what is your reaction to the letter Sukiyaki posted ?)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  6. #726  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE



    (what is your reaction to the letter Sukiyaki posted ?)
    Why they didn't allow it (maybe b/c thugs were shooting at boaters to steal the boats, ?) and why she (Governor) is having to rely on civilians I guess would be my first couple of questions.

    There are literally hundreds of questions I want answered by FEMA, the Mayor and the Governor. The Governor is most to blame at this point.
  7. #727  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    ...Friday Katrina was closer to Cuba and Florida than Louisiana and was a category 3 storm. Would anyone have supported gathering the resources we now see deployed last Friday for a storm that may or may not be the big one? Again, in restrospect - Yes! Unfortunately, last Friday we did not know what we do now.
    Even while it was a Cat 1 over Florida, weather people looked at its path with unusual forboding.

    I heard talk of New Orleans and disaster long before it became a category five.

    What the weather people saw was a modest slow moving hurricane transitting over land too briefly to weaken -- then being invigorated and energized by the extrodinarily warm deep gulf water -- and becoming transformed into a monster.

    When we try to understand how this catastrophe came to happen, it helps to read this article from today's Washington Post that describes how junior emasculated FEMA:



    Storm Exposed Disarray at the Top
    The Washington Post
    By Susan B. Glasser & Josh White
    Sunday, September 4, 2005

    The killer hurricane and flood that devastated the Gulf Coast last week exposed fatal weaknesses in a federal disaster response system retooled after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, to handle just such a cataclysmic event.

    Despite four years and tens of billions of dollars spent preparing for the worst, the federal government was not ready when it came ...

    If Hurricane Katrina represented a real-life rehearsal of sorts, the response suggested to many that the nation is not ready to handle a terrorist attack of similar dimensions. "This is what the department was supposed to be all about," said Clark Kent Ervin, DHS's former inspector general. "Instead, it obviously raises very serious, troubling questions about whether the government would be prepared if this were a terrorist attack. It's a devastating indictment of this department's performance four years after 9/11."

    "We've had our first test, and we've failed miserably," said former representative Timothy J. Roemer (D-Ind.), a member of the commission that investigated the Sept. 11 attacks. "We have spent billions of dollars in revenues to try to make our country safe, and we have not made nearly enough progress." With Katrina, he noted that "we had some time to prepare. When it's a nuclear, chemical or biological attack," there will be no warning.

    Indeed, the warnings about New Orleans's vulnerability to post-hurricane flooding repeatedly circulated at the upper levels of the new bureaucracy, which had absorbed the old lead agency for disasters, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, among its two dozen fiefdoms. "Beyond terrorism, this was the one event I was most concerned with always," said Joe M. Allbaugh, the former Bush campaign manager who served as his first FEMA head...

    ...Even when officials held a practice run, as they did in an exercise dubbed "Hurricane Pam" last year, they did not test for the worst-case scenario, rehearsing only what they would do if a Category 3 storm hit New Orleans, not the Category 4 power of Katrina. And after Pam, the planned follow-up study was never completed, according to a FEMA official involved.

    ...From an independent Cabinet-level agency, FEMA has become an underfunded, isolated piece of the vast DHS, yet it is still charged with leading the government's response to disaster.

    "It's such an irony I hate to say it, but we have less capability today than we did on September 11," said a veteran FEMA official involved in the hurricane response. "We are so much less than what we were in 2000," added another senior FEMA official. "We've lost a lot of what we were able to do then."

    ...the department's leadership has focused much of its attention simply on the massive complications that resulted from creating one entity out of agencies as varied as the U.S. Coast Guard, the Immigration and Naturalization Service and the Transportation Security Administration. When Chertoff took office earlier this year, he made his top priority an entirely new bureaucratic reorganization less than two years after the department's creation...

    FEMA Lost in the Shuffle

    ...Hurricane Andrew in 1992, federal response was panned, and FEMA was due for an overhaul. It got it in 1993, when Clinton brought in James Lee Witt, a veteran emergency manager and political ally, to take over, granted the agency Cabinet-level status and gave it a highly visible role it had not previously had. Its response to crises such as the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing received high marks, though some Republicans complained that it was used as a pot of money doled out to bolster Clinton's political standing.

    But after 9/11, FEMA lost out in the massive bureaucratic shuffle.

    ...hurricane-prone states fought a rear-guard action against FEMA's absorption. "What we were afraid of, and what is coming to pass, is that FEMA has basically been destroyed as a coherent, fast-on-its-feet, independent agency,"...


    Rebuffed Offers of Aid

    On the Friday before Katrina hit, when it was already a Category 2 hurricane rapidly gathering force in the Gulf, a veteran FEMA employee arrived at the newly activated Washington headquarters for the storm. Inside, there was surprisingly little action. "It was like nobody's turning the key to start the engine," the official recalled.

    Brown, the agency's director, told reporters Saturday in Louisiana that he did not have a sense of what was coming last weekend.

    "I was here on Saturday and Sunday, it was my belief, I'm trying to think of a better word than typical
    -- that minimizes, any hurricane is bad -- but we had the standard hurricane coming in here, that we could move in immediately on Monday and start doing our kind of response-recovery effort," he said. "Then the levees broke, and the levees went, you've seen it by the television coverage. That hampered our ability, made it even more complex."

    But other officials said they warned well before Monday about what could happen. For years, said another senior FEMA official, he had sat at meetings where plans were discussed to send evacuees to the Superdome. "We used to stare at each other and say, 'This is the plan? Are you really using the Superdome?' People used to say, what if there is water around it? They didn't have an alternative," he recalled.

    ...DHS did not ask the U.S. military to assist in pre-hurricane evacuation efforts, despite well-known estimates that a major hurricane would cause levees in New Orleans to fail. In an interview, the general charged with operations for the military's Northern Command said such a request to help with the evacuation "did not come our way."

    ...Others who went out of their way to offer help were turned down, such as Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley, who told reporters his city had offered emergency, medical and technical help as early as last Sunday to FEMA but was turned down. Only a single tank truck was requested, Daley said. Red tape kept the American Ambulance Association from sending 300 emergency vehicles from Florida to the flood zone, according to former senator John Breaux (D-La.) They were told to get permission from the General Services Administration. "GSA said they had to have FEMA ask for it," Breaux told CNN. "As a result they weren't sent."
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/04/2005 at 12:45 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  8. #728  
    Barry,

    The mayor screwed up, the governor screwed up, a flood encompassed almost the entire city and people directly blame Bush. They don't understand the bureaucratical bs protocol. Bush declared the NO/Miss a disaster area 2 days before the storm. This not a ceremonial comment. This is a huge statement of federal help. It left the Governor the power to administer additional outside help. She didn't react. Instead she relied on approximately 6,000 guardsman and local and state police to handle a city that may have 200,000 people that did not evacuate. There were millions of dollars of fireman supplies and generators strategically placed throughout Southeastern cities (including Clearwater, FL) that if requested by the Governor could of been there within 24 hours. She never made that request, instead firemen had to let fire rage on and fight fires in civilian clothes, including shorts. The Mayor had a 2001 written city plan to evacuate the City by utilizing school buses and City buses. I have no idea why he didn't initiate that plan.

    This protocol sucks and it will be changed to bypass inept local city and state govts. This is unfortunate because this places even more power with the federal goverment, which I disagree with.
  9. #729  
    If you check out the comments on the link to the post, there are folx who are documenting their experiences so that they have proof all this stuff took place. That is just one example. Help has been refused from all over this country and all over the world at the same time the mayor was begging for help. Also check out http://www.crooksandliars.com/ They have a ton of video and some very interesting comments on the events.
    One guy posted someones comments from yahoo...below...I dont know how historically accurate they are tho.


    by: deluded_neocon 09/03/05 04:26 am
    Msg: 115481 of 115534


    The federal government is the last line of defense, and as such, is the most critical. It is supposed to be in palce in case all other defenses fail. The problem for you is that other presidents were prepared for such emergencies, so why wasn't Bush?

    In September 1999, Hurricane Floyd -- a category 3 -- was bearing down the
    Carolinas and Virginia.

    President Clinton was in Christchurch, New Zealand - meeting with President
    Jiang of China (you know, actually working). He made the proclamation that
    only Presidents can make and declared the areas affected by Floyd "Federal
    Disaster Areas" so the National Guard and Military can begin to mobilize. Then
    he cut short his meetings overseas and flew home to coordinate the
    rescue efforts. This all one day BEFORE a Cat-3 hit the coast. That is
    how you do it.

    How about this dope's own father during Hurricane Andrew? Once again,
    President Bush (41) -- August, 1992 -- was in the midst of a brutal campaign
    for re-election. Yet, he cut off his campaigning the day before and went to
    Washington where he martialed the largest military operation on US soil in
    history. He sent in 7,000 National Guard and 22,000 regular military
    personnel, and all the gear to begin the clean up within hours after Andrew
    passed through Florida. 'Cause, you know, those people and their stuff was
    actually where it belonged, rather than being used for insurgent
    target-practice halfway around the world in a vain effort to make Iraq safe
    for Iranian takeover.


    In August of 1969 when Cat-5 Hurricane Camille hit roughly the same area as
    Katrina, President Nixon had already readied the National Guard and ordered
    all Gulf rescue vessels and equipment from Tampa and Houston to follow the
    Hurricane in. There were over 1,000 regular military with two dozen
    helicopters to assist the Coast Guard and National Guard within hours after
    the skies cleared.

    Bush 43 - August 2005 - Cat-5 Hurricane Katrina bears down on New Orleans
    and the Mississippi gulf. Both states are down nearly 8,000 National Guard
    troops because they are in Iraq -- with most of the rescue gear needed. Bush
    is on vacation. The day before Katrina makes landfall, Bush rides his bike
    for two hours. The day she hits, he goes to Johnnie McCain's birthday party;
    and lies to old people about the multi-billion-dollar pharmaceutical company
    welfare boondoggle. People are dying, the largest port of entry in the
    United States (and fifth largest in the World) is under attack. Troops and
    supplies are desperately needed. The levees are cracking and the emergency
    1-1/2 ton sandbags are ready, but there aren't enough helicopters or pilots
    to set them before the levees fail. The mayor of New Orleans begs for
    Federal coordination, but there is none, and the sandbagging never gets
    done. So Bush -- naturally -- goes to San Diego to play guitar with country
    singer and lie to the military about how Iraq is just exactly like WWII. The
    levees give way, filling New Orleans with water, sewage, oil and chemicals.
    Ten percent of all US exports, and 50% of all agricultural exports ordinarly
    go through this port. It is totally destroyed. Bush decides he'll end his
    vacation a couple of days early -- TOMORROW --BECAUSE HE HAS TICKETS TO A
    PADRES GAME! He goes back to the Fake Farm in Crawford, with every intention
    of doing something on WEDNESDAY about this disaster that happened starting
    last Sunday night.

    http://news.messages.yahoo.com/b...ur=115454&dir=d
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  10. #730  
    A MAYOR'S OWN CITY PLAN THAT WAS NOT IMPLEMENTED...WHY NOT?

    Louisiana disaster plan, pg 13, para 5 , dated 01/00

    'The primary means of hurricane evacuation will be personal vehicles. School and municipal buses, government-owned vehicles and vehicles provided by volunteer agencies may be used to provide transportation for individuals who lack transportation and require assistance in evacuating'...
  11. #731  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki
    President Clinton was in Christchurch, New Zealand - meeting with President
    Jiang of China (you know, actually working). He made the proclamation that
    only Presidents can make and declared the areas affected by Floyd "Federal
    Disaster Areas" so the National Guard and Military can begin to mobilize. Then
    he cut short his meetings overseas and flew home to coordinate the
    rescue efforts. This all one day BEFORE a Cat-3 hit the coast. That is
    how you do it.
    So Bush declares it TWO DAYS BEFORE KATRINA HITS??!! The Governor of Louisana failed to take advantage of this.
  12. #732  
    If only Kerry or Gore were president, Hurricane Katrina would have never happened.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  13. #733  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    If only Kerry or Gore were president, Hurricane Katrina would have never happened.
    The problem with this thread is many of the Democrats don't want to understand the ridiculous protocol of bureaucracy. I agree it is stupid and it will definitely be changed as a result of this tragedy. But, the posters that are trying to pin Bush as to blame are letting their "Hate Bush" blinders on. Go on and hate Bush, but until the rules change on how the local and state gov't provide help utilizing federal troops, services, etc. - it's not Bush's fault. The Governor and the Mayor are to blame - but especially the Governor.
  14. #734  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    If only Kerry or Gore were president, Hurricane Katrina would have never happened.
    Had Kerry Gore Clinton or junior's daddy been President -- the people of New Orleans would not have been abandoned, and most likely the levees saved, and the city would not have been destroyed

    Though after all the lies and screw ups that the right makes excuses for in Iraq, I don't see them accepting how junior and his people are ultimately responsible for the full depth of this calamity.
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/04/2005 at 01:50 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  15. #735  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    If only Kerry or Gore were president, Hurricane Katrina would have never happened.
    You mean this guy.

    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...afflehouse.htm
    He would still be confused whether to send relief aid or not !!



    I hope he donates more money than this !
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...ricelessad.htm
    Last edited by Mtreosexual; 09/04/2005 at 01:01 PM.
  16. #736  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    Had Kerry Gore Clinton or junior's daddy been President -- the people of New Orleans would not have been abandonded, and most likely the levees saved, and the city would not have been destroyed
    How? Or are you pissing/trolling on the thread again?
  17. #737  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    How? Or are you pissing/trolling on the thread again?
    How ???

    did you read this stuff posted by Sukiyaki ???

    this is how a non-lazy, non-incompetent, non-oppurtunist President reacts to a national crisis:

    In September 1999, Hurricane Floyd -- a category 3 -- was bearing down the Carolinas and Virginia.

    President Clinton was in Christchurch, New Zealand - meeting with President Jiang of China (you know, actually working). He made the proclamation that only Presidents can make and declared the areas affected by Floyd "Federal Disaster Areas" so the National Guard and Military can begin to mobilize. Then he cut short his meetings overseas and flew home to coordinate the rescue efforts. This all one day BEFORE a Cat-3 hit the coast. That is how you do it.

    How about this dope's own father during Hurricane Andrew? Once again, President Bush (41) -- August, 1992 -- was in the midst of a brutal campaign for re-election. Yet, he cut off his campaigning the day before and went to Washington where he martialed the largest military operation on US soil in history.

    He sent in 7,000 National Guard and 22,000 regular military personnel, and all the gear to begin the clean up within hours after Andrew passed through Florida. 'Cause, you know, those people and their stuff was actually where it belonged, rather than being used for insurgent target-practice halfway around the world in a vain effort to make Iraq safe
    for Iranian takeover.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  18. #738  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Why they didn't allow it (maybe b/c thugs were shooting at boaters to steal the boats, ?) and why she (Governor) is having to rely on civilians I guess would be my first couple of questions.

    I certainly dont condone the shooting, but I do undestand these folx were desperate. I have heard/watched/read two diff accounts of this from the NO citizens. One was that they were trying to get the attention of the helicopter to let them know they were there and fired shots. Stuipid, I know but I guess they didnt really have flares. The second account, which I guess could have happened in place of or along with the first one, is that people kept seeing helicopters flying over them, sometimes waving, but never helping or giving water, and they were dying, getting frustrated and one of the men got angry and started shooting yelling "help my family". Again I'm not excusing it, but I understand.

    What I dont understand is why the Red Cross wasnt allowed in. Folx recognize the red cross symbol all over the world. The workers wouldnt have been in any danger from the residents, they would have been welcomed with open arms. One guy even said when relief came "Now I feel part of America again". These folx felt abandoned, and from all the accounts I've read, including on mgno.com, any time anyone tried to approach police, national guard or whatever, they were getting weapons pointed at them, like they were criminals, not U.S. citizens in distress. As far as the situation being dangerous, ISNT THAT PART OF THE RED CROSS JOB DESCRIPTION? I know they dont rescue, they provide relief: medical, food, showers, etc, but they do it in all the most dangerous places in the world, at their own peril. They are safe in the middle of a war zone but not in the middle of a hurricane disaster, while apparently all the newscasters interviewing the residents were? I'm sorry, maybe I'm slo but I JUST DONT GET IT.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  19. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #739  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    So Bush declares it TWO DAYS BEFORE KATRINA HITS??!! The Governor of Louisana failed to take advantage of this.
    From my understanding the Gov. of LA. requested federal help on the 27th and did not get approval from D.C. till Thrus. Sept. 1st.
  20. #740  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    Had Kerry Gore Clinton or junior's daddy been President -- the people of New Orleans would not have been abandonded, and most likely the levees saved, and the city would not have been destroyed

    Though after all the lies and screw ups that the right makes excuses for in Iraq, I don't see them accepting how junior and his people are ultimately responsible for the full depth of this calamity.
    You must be on crack
    Well behaved women rarely make history

Posting Permissions