Page 32 of 71 FirstFirst ... 22272829303132333435363742 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Geeky, It may look small from one person, but if each person in the US donated $5 then we could wind up with this 290,000,000 people in the US times $5 = $1,450,000,000.00. I would say this is a rather large sum to help the people that have struck by this b8tch of a storm. Now we know some of us here on this board have atleast donated more $5 covering the butts of some of those who did not donate. So as the old saying goes "Every little bit helps".

Just my .02 (How do you make a cents sign?)
    I guess my concern is that some folks will give the $5.00, ease their conscious and feel they have did their part. And everyone is not on Sprint and Nextel. Sprint could have given the option to give in various amounts starting with $5.00 then going up in $5.00 increments. But hey, you can't please everyone, obviously. -LOL

I will find that ATM link for matching sponsors, thanks!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    I guess my concern is that some folks will give the $5.00, ease their conscious and feel they have did their part. And everyone is not on Sprint and Nextel. Sprint could have given the option to give in various amounts starting with $5.00 then going up in $5.00 increments. But hey, you can't please everyone, obviously. -LOL

Right, you can't please everyone. Good luck on the link searching.

To you folks out there that haven't donated yet, at all, Put a damn crowbar in your wallet and give some money you cheap bastards!!!
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Grrrrrrr!!!!!

National Guard Delay Likely to Be Examined

WASHINGTON - Several states ready and willing to send National Guard troops to the rescue in hurricane-ravaged New Orleans didn't get the go-ahead until days after the storm struck — a delay nearly certain to be investigated by Congress.

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson offered Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco help from his state's National Guard on Sunday, the day before Hurricane Katrina hit Louisiana. Blanco accepted, but paperwork needed to get the troops en route didn't come from Washington until late Thursday.

California troops just began arriving in Louisiana on Friday, three days after flood waters devastated New Orleans and chaos broke out.

In fact, when New Orleans' levees gave way to deadly flooding on Tuesday, Louisiana's National Guard had received help from troops in only three other states: Ohio, which had nine people in Louisiana then; Oklahoma, 89; and Texas, 625, figures provided by the National Guard show.

-snip-

With many states' Guard units depleted by deployments to Iraq, Katrina's aftermath was almost certain from the beginning to require help from faraway states.

-snip-

Bush had the legal authority to order the National Guard to the disaster area himself, as he did after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks . But the troops four years ago were deployed for national security protection, and presidents of both parties traditionally defer to governors to deploy their own National Guardsmen and request help from other states when it comes to natural disasters

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/katrina_national_guard
    Thanks NGR and Advance The Man. I am starting another thread with this information. It's only smart to get double for the dollar if you can!

Go here to see if your company matches their Employee's Donations:

http://www.ashanet.org/Dbase/inv-give-matching.html
    (most major corporations are there!)

Here is another website to check for companies that Match Donations:

http://www.case.org/new_mg/company_s...TOKEN=28920891

P.S. I've googled if but does anyone know of any Companies who will match donations from individuals who are not employee's?

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre

My guess would be that the $5 idea was put forth because it was an amount that virtually ANYONE could afford. Instead of b!tching about what you think is an appropriate amount why dont you just donate what you feel you can and not worry about everyone else. Acting like youre the self-appointed donation monitor makes you look petty.
    I guess my concern is that some folks will give the $5.00, ease their conscious and feel they have did their part.
    Maybe you would like us to submit our W-2's to you for review and then you can tell us what we can donate. Is it your job to make sure everyone donates? I think not. Try worrying about you and let the rest of us do what we can/want.

Sorry if this comes across as a flame but your posts on this just totally rubbed me the wrong way.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Woof, please, just go away!

Some of you may not have made your donation yet for the Hurricane victims, or maybe you plan to make another donation. Many companies MATCH their employee's donations! It's only smart to get double for the dollar if you can!

Go here to see if your company matches their Employee's Donations:

http://www.ashanet.org/Dbase/inv-give-matching.html
    (most major corporations are there!)

Here is another website to check for companies that Match Donations:

http://www.case.org/new_mg/company_s...TOKEN=28920891

P.S. If you know of any Companies who will match donations from individuals who are not employee's, please list them.

Thank you all!

8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Yet another GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Homeland Security won't let Red Cross deliver food
    Saturday, September 03, 2005

By Ann Rodgers, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As the National Guard delivered food to the New Orleans convention center yesterday, American Red Cross officials said that federal emergency management authorities would not allow them to do the same.

Other relief agencies say the area is so damaged and dangerous that they doubted they could conduct mass feeding there now.

"The Homeland Security Department has requested and continues to request that the American Red Cross not come back into New Orleans," said Renita Hosler, spokeswoman for the Red Cross.

"Right now access is controlled by the National Guard and local authorities. We have been at the table every single day [asking for access]. We cannot get into New Orleans against their orders."

Calls to the Department of Homeland Security and its subagency, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, were not returned yesterday.

-snip-

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05246/565143.stm
    Woof, please, just go away!
    Can't handle it when someone calls you to the carpet huh? Or maybe youre too caught up in the whole Katrina thing to realize you have no right to pass judgement on anyone because their donation is not as big as yours? I guess your judgement extends to opinions as well as donations.

Please GeekyMom tell me what would be an acceptable amount for me to donate using your "$5 is not enough" calculator.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Woof, I understand where you are coming from and I'm not assuming everyone can donate equally. I'm sorry you took the post the wrong way because this is not about you or me. What people donate is between them and their wallets.

Now have you donated yet?

Woof, I understand where you are coming from and I'm not assuming everyone can donate equally. I'm sorry you took the post the wrong way because this is not about you or me. What people donate is between them and their wallets.

Now have you donated yet?
    Cant quit can you? Whether I donate or not, and what amount if I choose to do is none of your damn business. Get over it.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    I'm sorry Woof, you're now on my ignore list. I can't read you! -LOL

I'm sorry Woof, you're now on my ignore list. I can't read you! -LOL
    Coward!

Well good then you wont see me when I say it's too bad you cant handle someone disagreeing with you.

To me the ignore list is like sticking your head in the sand. Sure you cant see the truth anymore, but it doesnt make it go away.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Never thought I'd say this but, I have to agree with Woof. After reading this thread all the way through I get the feeling that NGR & Geekymom have appointed themselves the donation police. I realize this is probably not what they intended but nevertheless is the way they come across. As a 'working poor' single mom, what I give & when I give is up to me, my budget & my conscience not anyone on this board. To blow off a $5 donation suggestion which could result in millions....I'm sorry you don't see how that is good enough. Some of us can only do so much & it's sad that those who can do 'better' can think less of us who can't.
    And Woof I hardly ever agree with you but I still will read your post even if they do **** me off sometimes, I'm not so sallow to block those whose opinions I don't agree with....heck that would leave with no threads to read!
    No offense, I think it's nice that Sprint is trying to help, and "every little bit helps" but Uhh, what is $5.00 supposed to do? With the staggering estimated cost in NO alone... Ok, I said it, now back on topic.

On another note, are there any organizations matching the Hurricane Victim donations? When 911 happened my kids school had a sponsor that matched our $500.00 donation.
    wow...Where is the cut off. Is $10 ok...should I tell my students that donated $10-$20 of allowance money that it is unworthy or ask them what that ouny amount is "supposed to do"

wow

Some good news...

I just learned that my company is working on large donations of some necessities: Rayovac batteries and flashlights as well as Repel and Cutter insect repellent. It's not water or food but we don't make that.

Most of this will be more applicable to MS where they're in the dark but staying around. In the next few weeks, the stagnant water will be lousy with insects and vermin! Ugh...
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
    Quote Originally Posted by tippymn
    Never thought I'd say this but, I have to agree with Woof. After reading this thread all the way through I get the feeling that NGR & Geekymom have appointed themselves the donation police. I realize this is probably not what they intended but nevertheless is the way they come across. As a 'working poor' single mom, what I give & when I give is up to me, my budget & my conscience not anyone on this board. To blow off a $5 donation suggestion which could result in millions....I'm sorry you don't see how that is good enough. Some of us can only do so much & it's sad that those who can do 'better' can think less of us who can't.
    And Woof I hardly ever agree with you but I still will read your post even if they do **** me off sometimes, I'm not so sallow to block those whose opinions I don't agree with....heck that would leave with no threads to read!
    Tippy my hat is off to you. Thnaks for being an adult.
    — Ed Howdershelt
  18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tippymn
    Look, I am not a "police" person in any fashion. I would prefer to be called a donation cheerleader.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I try to avoid answering "why?" questions, only in part because they are more likely to elicit opinion than fact. That said, I offer observations that, while they do not answer your question, may shed a little more light than heat.

Small boats are vulnerable to a storm. Consider the marina where they are piled up like tooth picks.

One must be able to get to them and launch them; both hard to do after the water rises, not useful until it does.

I did see one or two attempted small boat rescues. They were complicated by three things. First, was the concern for electrical wires. Second, the fear of hidden obstructions, mostly automobiles, between the street and the house. Third, the difficulty of getting the victims from the attic or rooftop down to the boat.

whmurray -- you're the most experienced voice here, but I'm still unconvinced that what was done, was all that could be done.

I've watched news reporters being transported on simple civilian long boats -- operated by civilian volunteers -- rescuing stranded people. They navigated at decent speed without apparent difficulty with the debris etc. And all electricity in NO has been off for some time so those power lines are not a concern.

Most of the stranded are healthy enough (and motivated enough) to willingly make the transition from roof to boat --- even if it should require a short moment in the water.

True the hurricane devastated a great swath of coast and you may have to go well outside the immediate region to get small craft -- but I'm confident that even 200 mi. from NO many boats could be volunteered, bought, lent, rented -- whatever -- and transported rapidly to NO.

The military has large numbers of inflatable boats and landing craft (ironically the Normandy museum is nearby because the landing craft were built there); air boats are common in the bayou delta, and even jet skiis could be used for rapid access and communication, and of emergency delivery of stuff like insulin, water, baby formula.

After 6 days if only a few boats arrived, desperation might lead to panic and violence, to boats becoming swamped. Its essential that boats going out carry supplies for those not initially taken and that as many boats as possible go out together. If neccasary police support should be provided.

In addition to water and food -- FRS radios should be widely distrubuted to those who cannot initially be rescued to that communication can be maintained to the main base -- and between each other.

I have watched news video of truckers who were loaded and ready to roll with supplies on Monday -- but who were prevented from making the trip by FEMA.

I have watched video of reporters seeing standed people -- people left in the sun without water for days, brought there from their original locations for evacuation -- with nothing. The reporters then DRIVE down the road themselves to find long rows of buses sitting there -- waiting !! The people in charge of the buses know nothing of the people standed -- and continue to await orders.

I have watched news video of bottlers in the midwest who went to FEMA and volunteered to donate tons of bottled water -- but were told it wasn't needed. The bottlers -- astounded -- then contacted the localities affected -- and were begged to get it to them as fast as possible.

(I have all this video still, if theres a way to host copyrighted stuff.)

sorry to interupt this squalor of personal invective and sanctimoniousness with reasoned discussion.

In my 2 months hanging out in OT, there's been nothing that has revealed ugliness like this episode. I fear to speculate how some people would have behaved had they themselves been one of those unlucky enough to have been trapped and abandoned... (head shooting desperate people ???)
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/03/2005 at 09:10 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  20. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanDad
    Some good news...

I just learned that my company is working on large donations of some necessities: Rayovac batteries and flashlights as well as Repel and Cutter insect repellent. It's not water or food but we don't make that.

Most of this will be more applicable to MS where they're in the dark but staying around. In the next few weeks, the stagnant water will be lousy with insects and vermin! Ugh...
    Outstanding, Alaskan!!!