Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    or that junior's Bro was the Guv ...
    Ding
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    NO's Mayor. Not too sure how old this is but check this whole audio clip. Sean Hannity has got me blazing mad!!! He edited this audio clip to suit his purposes!! He plays this audio clip and then, says he (Ray Nagin) is dragging politics in to this then compares him with Howard Dean, Al Sharpton, etc. I am PISSED!!!! If I saw Sean's shoes on the floor I would S*** in em!!!

http://premium.cnn.com/video/us/2005...v.affl.r1.smil
    not at my desk nrg on treo so can't listen to hannity's clip. but I heard the mayor myself on local NO & baton rouge stations. he is calling everyone out except himself and other local officials. THAT IS WRONG
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    not at my desk nrg on treo so can't listen to hannity's clip. but I heard the mayor myself on local NO & baton rouge stations. he is calling everyone out except himself and other local officials. THAT IS WRONG
    This is not Hannity's clip, this the whole version of the interview. When you get back take the time to listen to it.
    I'm sorry this is RIDICULOS! About 50 firefighters and their FAMILIES are being held hostage in a building by outside snipers.

WTF, the LA DA said they are gonna prosecute them to the maximum. I mean come on, if there are criminals who stayed behind who after being told to evacuate who are shooting at folks like that they need to be taken down if armed or taken out if they are found aiming at ANYBODY.

You can flame me all you want but this is crazy; both the thugs and the authorities response. I mean where the hell are they gonna house these hoods. They don't have time for all of this hand holding with everything else going on.

Just get the Marksmen in there and let them take care of business. The admin is not gonna please everyone anyway and these people are living by the sword!

Yes, it has gotten to that point with me. I do not condone violence but these workers could be finding, recueing and saving lives instead of hunting and dodging bullets from these criminals.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Source: Fairfax Digital
    Aussies 'loot to survive' (NO)

Trapped Australian tourists describe hurricane-raved New Orleans as a war zone, with them and everyone else driven to looting just to survive.

Rockhampton couple Tim and Joanne Miller have linked up with another Australian couple, Gary and Cynthia Jones.

All four are living in an abandoned mall with hundreds of other people.

They told Channel Seven News the streets were lawless with dead bodies everywhere.

Mr Jones said survivors were terrified of the violence.

"It's a battle zone. There's shooting, dead bodies in the street," he said, adding that he and his wife were forced to steal to survive.

"We're looters like everyone else," he said.

Mrs Miller told Channel Seven News: "There's no power, there's no water, we've still got a portable loo we've got three dead bodies, five dead bodies down there ... disease.

"I'm not blaming the police because they are under so much pressure.

"I had an altercation with a police officer and he ended up just crying to me because he was so frustrated and he couldn't do any more. He wanted to help us but he didn't have any resources."

-snip-
    Last edited by NRG; 09/02/2005 at 05:39 PM.
    The town of Shelby in one of the Carolinas has adopted the town of Laurel, MS. They are of comparable size. Each church in Shelby will adopt a church in Laurel, each school a school, each family a family. I can hardly see to write this. God bless Shelby and Laurel.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    The town of Shelby in one of the Carolinas has adopted the town of Laurel, MS. They are of comparable size. Each church in Shelby will adopt a church in Laurel, each school a school, each family a family. I can hardly see to write this. God bless Shelby and Laurel.
    Nice!1 Good Stuff
    Wow, that is truly AWESOME!

I really hope more churches get involved on a real level that makes a difference.

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Everyone has seen the models, the city asking the state to fix the problem, the state asking federal gov't to fix the problem. Question is, why did'nt the local gov't act? They were the ones who would be directly impacted. If you knew you had a leaky pipe in your attic how long would you wait until you acted on it? My guess is that you would make sure the leak was fixed instead of standing in the street yelling my pipes are leaking won't someone come and fix it for me.
    Cardio, I would assume this is because it was an Army Corp of Eng. job=Federal Duty.
    There is a blog at the above cite. In real space it is on the 10th and 11th floors of 650 Poydras Steet in New Orleans about midway between the convention center and the Superdome. I do not know how they are doing it but they are. I can see the web cams; cannot be a spoof. Big pipe. Poor bastards must be running low by now but they have done a great job 'til now.

All of this reminds me how dependent we are on good communications and how badly the communication has failed us in this case. Those of us watching MSNBC yesterday could not believe the absence of timely response. I do not think that the Governor or POTUS were watching. What might have been different if someone could have dropped a few cell towers in the city? How many of us carry how many spare batteries?

I am watching David Brooks, a conservative, not to say republican, commentator on PBS who is furious. "Why are Charlotte, Raleigh, Austin, and San Antonio booming while New Orleans is not?"

Brooks: "Things are going to change."

No mention of the Second Hero of New Orleans, Russell "John Wayne" Honore. Mention of Rudi Giuliani. No mention of Senator Mary Landrieu.
    I have just received an e-mail from the Hon. Christopher Shays, Member of Congress from CT. His e-mail tells me how to contribute money, time, and goods. Nice idea.
    I have just received an e-mail from the Hon. Christopher Shays, Member of Congress from CT. His e-mail tells me how to contribute money, time, and goods. Nice idea.
    I just got a letter from Pastor Joel Osteen of Houston:

Dear Mellanese:

The effects of Hurricane Katrina are far reaching, and for tens of thousands there seems to be little hope.

In an effort to bring life and hope to the suffering, Lakewood Church is partnering with the City of Houston and Houston area churches to help provide 3 hot meals daily to the refugees streaming into Houston area shelters.

Will you partner with me to help make this happen?

Lakewood Church is also partnering with Feed The Children to help distribute desperately needed water, food and supplies to those still in need in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. Trucks are already on the way, and your donation to Feed The Children will help meet the unbelievable need created by this catastrophic event.

Your gift will make a tremendous difference. Please help us feed these hurting children and families by giving now.

God bless you for your generous support in this time of need!

The suggestion is that Katrina will result in a sea change in national policy. It is not going away soon. They did not even get to discuss the nominee for the Supreme Court.
    The suggestion is that Katrina will result in a sea change in national policy. It is not going away soon. They did not even get to discuss the nominee for the Supreme Court.
    missed it -- which way is the sea changing ??

is our monarch wearing clothes ??
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Sorry to interrupt the political discussion...

For all the Sprint users out there, here's a way to donate to the relief effort.

Two Ways to Donate: Easy Text Message or Online Now

Text Message: Just use your Sprint PCS or Nextel phone to text message the word "give" to short code 24357. You'll get a confirmation message in return asking you to type "Y" or "yes" to confirm that you're making a $5 donation to the Red Cross, and you be billed for the donation on your wireless phone bill. Standard text messaging rates apply.

Online Now: Click the banner below.
    [redcross.org banner]
    A $5.00 donation that's quick, easy, and painless.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    Sorry to interrupt the political discussion...

For all the Sprint users out there, here's a way to donate to the relief effort.

A $5.00 donation that's quick, easy, and painless.
    No offense, I think it's nice that Sprint is trying to help, and "every little bit helps" but Uhh, what is $5.00 supposed to do? With the staggering estimated cost in NO alone... Ok, I said it, now back on topic.

On another note, are there any organizations matching the Hurricane Victim donations? When 911 happened my kids school had a sponsor that matched our $500.00 donation.
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 09/03/2005 at 08:03 AM.

18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    No offense, I think it's nice that Sprint is trying to help, and "every little bit helps" but Uhh, what is $5.00 supposed to do? With the staggering estimated cost in NO alone... Ok, I said it, now back on topic.
    Geeky, It may look small from one person, but if each person in the US donated $5 then we could wind up with this, 290,000,000 people in the US times $5 = $1,450,000,000.00. I would say this is a rather large sum to help the people that have been struck by this b8tch of a storm. Now we know some of us here on this board have atleast donated more than $5 covering the butts of some of those who did not donate. So as the old saying goes "Every little bit helps".

Just my .02 (How do you make a cents sign?)
    Last edited by NRG; 09/03/2005 at 09:26 AM.
  19. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom

On another note, are there any organizations matching the Hurricane Victim donations? When 911 happened my kids school had a sponsor that matched our $500.00 donation.
    Advance The Man had posted a link that listed some orgs that are matching. Look back on like pgs. 5,6, or 7.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    5-6 days into this and I'm still watching on CNN as HUNDREDS are being rescued by helicopter from rooftops !

why are there no small boats with outboard motors that could have gone house to house and gathered up survivors MUCH more efficiently

helicopters are an emergency life saving vehicle that can only get a few at a time, and then must return to base, release passengers, refuel etc.

and why am I not seeing these same helicopters delivering drinking water etc ???
    I try to avoid answering "why?" questions, only in part because they are more likely to elicit opinion than fact. That said, I offer observations that, while they do not answer your question, may shed a little more light than heat.

Small boats are vulnerable to a storm. Consider the marina where they are piled up like tooth picks.

One must be able to get to them and launch them; both hard to do after the water rises, not useful until it does.

I did see one or two attempted small boat rescues. They were complicated by three things. First, was the concern for electrical wires. Second, the fear of hidden obstructions, mostly automobiles, between the street and the house. Third, the difficulty of getting the victims from the attic or rooftop down to the boat.