Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    But already I've heard confirmed reports of sooo many of my friends' houses that still have anywhere from 2 to 7 feet of water in their house; and some only have half a house left. Definitely surreal!
    grndslm, have you heard any reports from D'Iberville, Woolmarket, or Moss Point? My family lives in those areas and we haven't heard much. I imagine D'Iberville is gone but don't know for sure. Pascagoula seemed to get an excessive amount of flooding so I don't hold high hopes for Moss Point. Hopefully the Woolmarket area wasn't hit too much by water because we didn't have flood insurance there....

Also, do you know if they are allowing anyone in to assess damage? My parents evacuated to Nashville and I know that my dad is going to try to make his way down there today...
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
    No electricity til god knows when, no water, sewerage problems, no phone service, martial law and armed gangs of looters roaming about, and as of this morning, they abandoned efforts to repair the levee breech, so 9-15 feet more water is expected to flow into NO today. I evacuated to north LA (from NO) and don't expect to have anything left when we're finally allowed to return.
    It's truly beyond comprehension. I grabbed my family and my treo and I've gotta go to walmart and get socks and undies today!! But I'm alive and safe, as is my family, so I'm thankful.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetoad
    Also, do you know if they are allowing anyone in to assess damage? My parents evacuated to Nashville and I know that my dad is going to try to make his way down there today...
    See: http://www.wwltv.com/

They have a headline that Jefferson Parish residents will be allowed in in as little as a week but only to see the damage and recover belongings.

I am reluctant to repeat anything else that I have heard for fear of spreading rumors.

My niece with three of her four children is staying with a friend in Baton Rouge. Water but no power. She left her house in Jefferson Parish with only two days clothing (Be right back, heah.) Left the dogs.

This is the worst disaster in the US in my seventy years and it is still getting worse. I have never seen such a total break down of infrastructure. I keep looking at the small but devastating break in the levee. They simply cannot get men and material in to fix it. Imagine not being able to find a barge of oyster shell in New Orleans. This dwarfs Camille. The loss of life, which would have been much worse without the timely evacuation, has just begun. Most of the loss of life in New Orleans will take place from now forward.

FEMA is talking about evacuating the city by bus. We need to start thinking of the river. Survivors in the city should move to the river levees from which they can be rescued. With both airports under water still rising and most roads closed, the river is the only means of transportation where we can get anything in that approaches the necessary scale. ("The hospital ship Comfort is awaiting orders to sail from Baltimore..")

Past Mayor Sydney Barthlemey estimates that there are 80000 refugees left in the city, with the water still rising. Imagine trying to move those by bus over flooded roadways. That is 16 cruise ships or aircraft carriers full of people.

The major networks are full of outrage that these refugees have been reduced to looting.

The Mayor, the Governor, and Corps of Engineers have been reduced to hand-wringing and Senator Mary Landreiu to prayer. The President and Cindy Shehaan may leave Crawford, TX today.
    Last edited by whmurray; 08/31/2005 at 08:43 AM.
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    No electricity til god knows when, no water, sewerage problems, no phone service, martial law and armed gangs of looters roaming about, and as of this morning, they abandoned efforts to repair the levee breech, so 9-15 feet more water is expected to flow into NO today. I evacuated to north LA (from NO) and don't expect to have anything left when we're finally allowed to return.
    It's truly beyond comprehension. I grabbed my family and my treo and I've gotta go to walmart and get socks and undies today!! But I'm alive and safe, as is my family, so I'm thankful.
    Damn dude, I am sorry. Where did you live in Nu Awlins'? I live through this fear every year at hurricane season that strom surge will come and wipe out my house, but thankfully (fingers crossed) it hasn't happened yet. I live here on the gulf coast in florida just for reference. If there is anything I or anyone else can do please PM me or ask here.
    gr, thanks for the offer. I'm in day to day mode right now, ya know? the big icture is too overwhelming: no home, no job, 2 days worth of clothes....but as I watch the news, I'm etrnally grateful I got out, and that's as far as I'm able to think. I (used to) live uptown; the street was dry (!) until yesterday's repair failure, so I doubt it's still that way. I'm posting from my treo ( no internet otherwise) so can't pm you. p.s. I'm a dudette!
    Who is your bank? Are they honoring your cards?
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    gr, thanks for the offer. I'm in day to day mode right now, ya know? the big icture is too overwhelming: no home, no job, 2 days worth of clothes....but as I watch the news, I'm etrnally grateful I got out, and that's as far as I'm able to think. I (used to) live uptown; the street was dry (!) until yesterday's repair failure, so I doubt it's still that way. I'm posting from my treo ( no internet otherwise) so can't pm you. p.s. I'm a dudette!
    OK, dudette. Well I am sure if you need anything, at all, we can cull the strength of this community together for you and do something positive for you and the others on this board that have suffered from this damn storm. Again take care, and I hope everything looks up from here on out for you.

so, so sorry --

unimaginable what you must have to be coping with...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    There is an abandoned oil rig that has beached in Alabama. Perhaps they could put that in the 17th street canal.

Perhaps President Bush is to be forgiven for not being able to get his mind around the scope of this disaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by chillig35
    you really are a troll aren't you?
    You shouldnt dabble in things outside your area of expertise, besides who could possibly take anyone serious when they identify themselves as "Official Thread-Crapper and Poo Slinger - this recess appointment valid until Treo 700 comes out (yes it is a lifetime appointment)

Next Goal: Forum-Crapper (one must always dream). " Sheesh...
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Wonder if they could get one of those sky cranes to drop a barge or two in the breachs?

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    See: http://www.wwltv.com/

They have a headline that Jefferson Parish residents will be allowed in in as little as a week but only to see the damage and recover belongings.

I am reluctant to repeat anything else that I have heard for fear of spreading rumors.

My niece with three of her four children is staying with a friend in Baton Rouge. Water but no power. She left her house in Jefferson Parish with only two days clothing (Be right back, heah.) Left the dogs.

This is the worst disaster in the US in my seventy years and it is still getting worse. I have never seen such a total break down of infrastructure. I keep looking at the small but devastating break in the levee. They simply cannot get men and material in to fix it. Imagine not being able to find a barge of oyster shell in New Orleans. This dwarfs Camille. The loss of life, which would have been much worse without the timely evacuation, has just begun. Most of the loss of life in New Orleans will take place from now forward.

FEMA is talking about evacuating the city by bus. We need to start thinking of the river. Survivors in the city should move to the river levees from which they can be rescued. With both airports under water still rising and most roads closed, the river is the only means of transportation where we can get anything in that approaches the necessary scale. ("The hospital ship Comfort is awaiting orders to sail from Baltimore..")

Past Mayor Sydney Barthlemey estimates that there are 80000 refugees left in the city, with the water still rising. Imagine trying to move those by bus over flooded roadways. That is 16 cruise ships or aircraft carriers full of people.

The major networks are full of outrage that these refugees have been reduced to looting.

The Mayor, the Governor, and Corps of Engineers have been reduced to hand-wringing and Senator Mary Landreiu to prayer. The President and Cindy Shehaan may leave Crawford, TX today.
    you are offering terrific advice -- especially about evacuation via water using cruise ships etc.

why were not the levees being more aggressively monitored ????

35 % of louisiana national guard are deployed in iraq -- had they been here -- could the levee been saved ??

It seems the levee failed 12 hours after the storrm -- was this preventable ??

had it been watched more carefully would it have catastrophically failed ??

I am asking because I genuinely don't know ...
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    you are offering terrific advice -- especially about evacuation via water using cruise ships etc.

35 % of louisiana national guard are deployed in iraq -- had they been here -- could the levee been saved ??

no number of national guard would have prevented this Hurricaine.

Your attempt to use this tragedy to promote your political agenda disgusts me more than I have words to express.

This is a disaster, by its very definition it is something which planning cannot deter. The miracle is all of the lives that were saved by the well planned evac.

I swear, if you were taking a crap and realized you had no toilet paper, you'd find a way to blame Pres. Bush. This is a natural disaster of immense proportion. Must everything revolve around your bitterness for an individual in the White House?

I can't believe some of you people.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    no number of national guard would have prevented this Hurricaine.

Your attempt to use this tragedy to promote your political agenda disgusts me more than I have words to express.

This is a disaster, by its very definition it is something which planning cannot deter. The miracle is all of the lives that were saved by the well planned evac.

could the levees been saved ??

that is not political question

they failed 12 hours AFTER the storm
    of course they will build better levies now. that's the way mankind works. there would be no brick if straw had worked.

of course designs will be changed.

you are like a vulture in my opinion sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    of course they will build better levies now. that's the way mankind works. there would be no brick if straw had worked.

of course designs will be changed.

you are like a vulture in my opinion sir.

could this disaster have been prevented ??

were the levees bound to fail ??

(I made NO political statement)

I am sorry for the inference of politics --
  18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Now, I won't hold Bush responsible for this, but I will hold the entire group of snakes in D.C. responsible. Here read some of this to understand where I am coming from.

August 30, 2005 9:00 PM ET -- PHILADELPHIA / E&P / Even though Hurricane Katrina has moved well north of the city, the waters may still keep rising in New Orleans late on Tuesday. That's because Lake Pontchartrain continues to pour through a two-block-long break in the main levee, near the city's 17th Street Canal. With much of the Crescent City some 10 feet below sea level, the rising tide may not stop until it's level with the massive lake.

-snip-

fter 2003, the flow of federal dollars toward dropped to a trickle. The Corps never tried to hide the fact that the spending pressures of the war in Iraq, as well as homeland security -- coming at the same time as federal tax cuts -- was the reason for the strain. At least nine articles in the Times-Picayune from 2004 and 2005 specifically cite the cost of Iraq as a reason for the lack of hurricane- and flood-control dollars.

-snip-

One project that a contractor had been racing to finish this summer: a bridge and levee job right at the 17th Street Canal, site of the main breach on Monday.

The Newhouse News Service article published Tuesday night observed, "The Louisiana congressional delegation urged Congress earlier this year to dedicate a stream of federal money to Louisiana's coast, only to be opposed by the White House....In its budget, the Bush administration proposed a significant reduction in funding for southeast Louisiana's chief hurricane protection project. Bush proposed $10.4 million, a sixth of what local officials say they need."

Local officials are now saying, the article reported, that had Washington heeded their warnings about the dire need for hurricane protection, including building up levees and repairing barrier islands, "the damage might not have been nearly as bad as it turned out to be."

-snip-

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/ea..._id=1001051313

If only Bush had signed the Kyoto Accord!

There comes a point where it doesn't matter how big of a levee has been raised...mother nature will trump it.
  20. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    There comes a point where it doesn't matter how big of a levee has been raised...mother nature will trump it.
    This is true, but this mean we should not try?
Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast