Page 28 of 71 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728293031323338 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    But I'm just a cynical aging lefty -- what do I know ...
    Bingo.

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    Hmm how bout Texas?
    you all have had far more patience with them than me, that's for sure ...
    You've had no patience for them (regardless of the situation) because you're a self-described Bush hater.

I don't doubt that even if Bush had a team in place on site within 24 hours, you'd still be criticizing him and his team for something.

If not for bringing enough water, then the brand of water they brought.

You've done a pretty poor job hiding your contempt for Bush and his administration in many threads, so I wouldn't expect anything different.

However, this time all of your criticisms are pretty much right on target.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    Circumstances being equal, I'm quite certain that if Beverly Hills were hit by a cat 5, the response would have been far different.
    Hmm how bout Texas?
    Oh ya can bet your sweet buttocks it would have been!

But I have to give TX the big props for steppin up to the plate and doing an unbelievable job at providing housing to the MASSES and getting real help going -- big Texas style!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    And I feel my response regarding class warfare was integral to the discussion. Whether or not "leftist" class warfare is a component of the circumstances in NO can be up for separate discussion.

Closing the chapter would be simply for the purpose of not hijacking this thread. If you want to talk about class warfare then either a) start a new thread or b) find an ongoing one.

You should know better than to assume. And I'm simply following forum etiquette here so as to avoid these types of unnecessary ad hominem engagements.
    Right. You pollute the thread, someone calls you on it, and then you start taling about forum etiquette. Typical.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    The pont of clairegrrl's posts is, that she proves that you are biased, and plain wrong and many occassions.
    Lemme sum it up for those who haven't fully comprehended their volley.

claire: fema takes a week to mobililze emergency services
    clu: a week is too long for an "emergency repsonse" team
    claire: well it took 3 weeks for switzerland to get their choppers to thailand
    clu: we're not talking about cross globe response, choppers in Switzerland only take an hour to get on the scene IN Switzerland.
    claire: you're a sillygoose

Yeah, Switzerland is 100 times smaller, but it's incredible that we (the world's beloved superpower who probably has 50 emergency mega-choppers in every state) cannot mobilize proper emergency response to a problem like this a day or two. Ships should have been leaving the east coast ports the day of the hurricane, not today.

A week response is out of line -- I dont know why you're defending that..

Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    You've had no patience for them (regardless of the situation) because you're a self-described Bush hater.

However, this time all of your criticisms are pretty much right on target.
    saying that probably hurt as much as purging a kidney stone --

thanks
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    A week response is out of line -- I dont know why you're defending that..
    It may be, and I'm not defending t, it just happens to be an unfortunate fact of life. There will be plenty of time to point fingers later, so instead of spending all your energies making political statements, just take a moment and say a little prayer.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    an easier and fairer comparison is the last really big hurricane to hit -- last year in Florida in the months prior to the election.

All stops were pulled out on that -- almost ANY request for FEMA help was practically delivered immediately.

More help is effectively getting to Mississippi than New Orleans.

But I'm just a cynical aging lefty -- what do I know ...
    Let's look at Andrew in 1992 (Gulf war I so troops deployed). Hit Florida on Aug 24th, reserve troops arrive Aug 30th. Not much difference in time for large scale federal aid between more affluent So Florida and poor NO.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9117367/ (link not going where I intended) here is a cut and paste portion of the article

August 28, 1992:
    WE NEED HELP. Relief effort collapsing due to United States inaction, Metro charges. Aid us now or more will die, Feds told. As Dade County's hurricane relief effort neared collapse Thursday, more than 1,500 airborne US soldiers were ordered into the county to cope with what is now being called the worst natural disaster in United States history. The move came after a day of bitter sniping among agencies that share responsibility for the relief effort.
    United States aid official Wallace Stickler stated: "Andrew has caused more destruction and affected more people than any disaster America has ever had."
    Dade County's Emergency Director pleaded for federal help, one angry voice among many that spoke in dire terms of needs unmet. Frustrated to the point of tears, Kate Hale said that the relief project was on the brink of collapse, a victim of incompetence and political games:
    "Where the hell is the cavalry on this one? We need food! We need water! We need people! If we do not get more food into the south end [South Dade] in a very short period of time, we are going to have more casualties!
    "We have a catastrophic disaster. We are hours away from more casualties. We are essentially the walking wounded. We have appealed through the State to the Federal Government. We've had a lot of people down here for press conferences. But Dade County is on its own. Dade County is being caught in the middle of something and we are being victimized.
    "Quit playing like a bunch of kids and get us aid! Sort out your political games afterward

Remember the storm hit on the 24th of August.
    Last edited by cardio; 09/02/2005 at 01:28 PM.

thanks
    He was just peeing on your leg
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Network newscasts and media coverage in the major newspapers are not reflecting what you are describing --
    I cannot answer for your News watching efficiency, comprehension, or unbiased analysis. I have heard this report at least three times on the Major Cable News Networks with only being able to get small amounts of time to listen between work. I heard an eye witness report yesterday of a cop being shot in the forehead just so the looter could get away with his shopping cart! Women being Raped! People looting houses not caring if anyone is still or not! People shooting at rescue boats! EMS being armed because they are being shot at while trying help the wounded! The Helicopters being shot at! I am not making these up....these are reports I have heard from the major cable networks.

if that really is the concern, hellicopters are the most vulnerable.
    I updated my post the same you replied....I answered it above.

if gunshots were fired at boats, its unlikely to have been about Nikes but more likely because someone is desperate to be saved, and angry that someone else was taken first.
    THEN THIS IS COMPLETELY STUPID!!!!! Let's see.......if there is a rescue effort going on, do I try to kill those conducting the rescue? But if I did something really bad, like steal from a jewelry store, would I want them to come into my house or force me to leave my loot behind?

Which makes more sense?

Again as I have stated at least in two different posts, I do believe that the idiots doing this is a small number, but enough to hamper rescue and medical attention efforts.
    almost ANY request for FEMA help was practically delivered immediately.
    And FEMA really got smacked in the mouth hard for it too. FEMA paid for funerals for people who died days before and weeks after the hurricanes, paid for new clothes and electronics for people more than 100 miles away from the damage, and paid for "damage" that didn't actually take place (ie, the stuff was already broken).

There's been a huge scandal down here about all the people whose claims were paid following the two SoFla hurricanes last year when they didn't deserve it. FEMA took a huge hit, and it probably a little gunshy now. They've taken a tough stance on SoFla-related Katrina damage, and there was a lot of it (obviously not compared to LA and MS, but a lot nonetheless).
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Florida was more prepared than Louisana the way I see it.
    Florida also has the toughest building codes in the country (as we've been toughened by numerous hurricanes), and don't have many 200 year old buildings (at least down here in SoFla) that would be extremely vulnerable to anything over a Cat 1.

These are new cities and new developments made from concrete and steel, there are no wood frame houses or 200 year old brick buildings. Even our garage doors are reinforced with 2x4's, and all new homes come with storm shutters.

Plus, when a storm comes, the Water Management District lowers Lake Okeechobee and releases all the small lakes and canals into the ocean to minimize the chance of flooding. When I got home early from work last Thursday to prepare for Katrina, the lake in my development was probably 2 feet lower than when I left for work.

Andrew taught some hard lessons, but we are as prepared for the next Cat 4 or 5 as Colorado is for every winter. NO will now learn those lessons and when it's finally rebuilt, it will be a much stronger city. It's a shame that all that history is gone for good though.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    Oh ya can bet your sweet buttocks it would have been!

But I have to give TX the big props for steppin up to the plate and doing an unbelievable job at providing housing to the MASSES and getting real help going -- big Texas style!
    Maybe dubyah can host some of them in his nice ranch.

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I cannot answer for your News watching efficiency, comprehension, or unbiased analysis. I have heard this report at least three times on the Major Cable News Networks
    I TIVO all 3 network newscasts every night all through the year.

I read the NY Times, Wash. Post, Christian Sci., LA Times, BBC, Reuters, AFP, Guardian, Newsweek etc. -- and I have a Yahoo home page which gathers a whole variety of major news sources that I respect (including those I listed above, in particular).

I almost never see FAUX or the other cable shout casts. (if i browse them, its only until the cringe factor complells the scan button).

I have had a muted CNN on today as I work -- but I rarely watch it much, even normally,

thanks
    I've had gallstones.

They weren't as bad as admitting this response is embarrassing.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    He was just peeing on your leg
    Sssshhhhhh!!!

Don't tell him!

How does that saying go? I wouldn't pee on you to put a fire out.....
    I'm back!
    Then what would you like for me to start talking about? I gave you options. You skirt the issues and provide the thread forum fodder for nonsensical engagements.

Your responses to me have generally carried the same tone and you have yet to offer something constructive to say on this topic. At least introducing leftist warfare, institutional racism, whatever-you-want-to-call-it into the mix provides an opinion to the topic at hand. Your response was simply a side comment of no value; hence, my election to close the book on it.

If you want to constructively argue then do it. Don't posture and bullsh!t.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    Right. You pollute the thread, someone calls you on it, and then you start taling about forum etiquette. Typical.
    BARYE.....I wasn't really serious.....I was just saying that I have heard it and seen it reported a couple times, and you have mentioned a couple times that since you have not it might not be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    And FEMA really got smacked in the mouth hard for it too. FEMA paid for funerals for people who died days before and weeks after the hurricanes, paid for new clothes and electronics for people more than 100 miles away from the damage, and paid for "damage" that didn't actually take place (ie, the stuff was already broken).

There's been a huge scandal down here about all the people whose claims were paid following the two SoFla hurricanes last year when they didn't deserve it. FEMA took a huge hit, and it probably a little gunshy now. They've taken a tough stance on SoFla-related Katrina damage, and there was a lot of it (obviously not compared to LA and MS, but a lot nonetheless).
    I remember. It was and is, an obscene scandal.

Was FEMA's "generousity" in any way connected to the fact that the election was only months away ??