Page 22 of 71 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    999 out of a thousand tropical storms are Category 4 or below.
    According to this map, a Category 4 hurricane is to be expected once every 65 years in the region of NO, so it is not extremely rare.
    Last edited by clulup; 09/02/2005 at 06:53 AM.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    I was watching the news this morning and saw a story about folks offering a home in their home, be it an empty room, basement, etc. for someone effected by the Hurricane. Here is the website from Craigslist.org: http://www.hurricanehousing.org/host.html?id=

Offer housing to Hurricane survivors
    Thank you for stepping in to help those in desperate need of housing.

How it works:
    Your info is hidden. If you offer to host, people looking for housing will be able be able to see your posting, but not your name and email. You can choose whether or not to list your phone number.
    We pass you requests by email. When someone requests housing through our site, we will send you an email with their contact info and their message to you. It's your responsibility to follow up with them by email or phone..
    You remove your offer when it's filled. When you post an offer, we'll send you a confirmation email with a link to remove your posting in case you fill it, or no longer have space. People will continue to contact you until you do so.
    Guidelines:

Housing in the Southeast is best. By far the greatest need for housing is within several hundred miles of the affected region. If you live elsewhere, please ask anyone you know in the area to post a housing offer, in addition to posting your own.

Only list your own housing. Please don't offer lodging that's not actually yours to offer!

Offers should be free. All housing offered on this site must be free of charge.
    Be smart. We can make no guarantees about the people who contact you. Please use common sense.

Hurricane survivors need work too. If, in addition to housing, you can connect hurricane survivors with temporary work, please note that in your description.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Found out where the NO Mayor is...Baton Rouge. That's like Rudy going to New Jersey after 911. I am not making a political statement, just pinting out this NO mayor is a coward, not a leader.
    One of the problems with media coverage, as heroic as it has been, is that one cannot always follow a story to its end. During most of yesterday we saw the plight of the victims of Katrina at the NO Convention Center. As of dark, there was still no food, water, or buses. Now it is Friday and it is difficult to find out what happened to those people.

Another difficulty is that it focuses our attention narrowly. The coverage from NO has been so riveting that we may have lost sight of the scope of this disaster. We are focused on the victims that are still to be given food, water, and transportation in New Orleans. We forget that before the storm there were already 400,000 refugees from New Olreans and other evacuees from the Gulf Coast communities. While some are with family, and some are in public accomodations, perhaps as many as half are in shelters. They now say that refugees are being turned away from the Houston Astrodome, the shelter of last resort, but New Orleans is not yet evacuated.

There are hundreds of communities all over the Gulf Coast that are suffering local disasters of a scale that at any other time would get national attention and resources. This morning there was a report from a reporter in Biloxi, MS saying that as of today, Friday, they had still not seen FEMA or the Red Cross. Another reporter, who grew up in Bay St. Louis, MS. She reported that there are victims sheltered in her school. Bay St. Louis was at the eye of the storm and is now all but isolated.

I am listening to a recording of Mayor Ray Nagin on the radio Thursday night. He says "They thinkin' small!"

So here we are at Friday. While we would have hoped that by now things would be looking up, in fact the situation continues to deteriorate.

Are we seeing the genuine limits of power, an absence of vision, a failure of good intentions, an indifferent, not to say grudging, response, or are we seeing the disintegration of our society?
    Last edited by whmurray; 09/02/2005 at 08:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Where is the NO Mayor holed up?
    wtf is this guy doing?
    I get the feeling that his authority has been usurped by the state and federal agencies. His outburst yesterday seemed to be filled with the same level of frustration that his residents have.

The comments coming from him and other NO officials all contain a bit of contempt, especially towards the federal agencies. Even the governor seems a bit perturbed.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    I get the feeling that his authority has been usurped by the state and federal agencies. His outburst yesterday seemed to be filled with the same level of frustration that his residents have.

The comments coming from him and other NO officials all contain a bit of contempt, especially towards the federal agencies. Even the governor seems a bit perturbed.
    Just heard an audio clip from him - he does sound so frustrated. As 1911forever said...

What we need here is a total, full on, BIPARTISAN GOVERNMENT BASH.
    Certainly can't bash the individual policeman, fireman, doctor, national guardsman - but the people who should be managing the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    I cut and paste without using the quote function.
    lol that'd explain it

Saw Harry Connick Jr walking the streets of New Orleans with a camera crew. He is pissed - and devastated. They interviewed him from Baton Rouge this morning and he said there is a road straight into New Orleans and an off-ramp to get to many of the people especially at the Convention Center (this is along the River so it is higher ground, not wet) out of town. He doesn't understand why officials are blocking this roadway. He said civilians with trucks could caravan from Baton Rouge to NO and get many of these people out, but for inexplicable reasons they are not allowed. He also had mentioned this made him want to run for Mayor. He had not so kind words for the current Mayor not being in New Orleans. But, as MarkEagle said - it sounds like the Mayor is no longer the go to guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    President Bush needs not to visit New Orleans by flying over the city but to get every military resource from Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas the hell out of their bases and to MS and NO.

I was at a chinese takee outee yesterday where there were no less than 10 Natl Guardsman from Camp Blanding (South of Jacksonville, FL) - why aren't they being sent over there?
    I think Mr. Bush needs to go and see the tragedy so he can start getting the ball rolling. He is our President and he has the power to speed the process up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizd4Life
    I think Mr. Bush needs to go and see the tragedy so he can start getting the ball rolling. He is our President and he has the power to speed the process up.
    I have supported Bush from day one. All he needs to assessment is to turn the television on.
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Link broken.
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizd4Life
    He will be there today I think.
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I have supported Bush from day one. All he needs to assessment is to turn the television on.
    Umm, this is kinda like Sen. Frist diagnosing Terry Schivao via video tape, it doesn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Umm, this is kinda like Sen. Frist diagnosing Terry Schivao via video tape, it doesn't work.
    Uhh, no it's not. There is complete devastation. The order to bring in every guarsmand from the seven states I listed should of happened Monday. It hasn't. You don't need a helicopter over the city to see the devastation.
    We all assume that our government will be there to protect us and help us out in times like this -- but it's really just every man for themselves. They've failed at every level.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Link broken.
    Not broken -- just clicked it again.

I am reminded of an observation by Secretary of State, George Schultz, that every duty officer in every embassy in the world is watching CNN.

The TV reporting has been nothing short of heroic. Their reporters have been there early and late. They have gone where the Governor of Louisiana cannot go (at least until she has "40,000 boots on the ground.") It remains to be seen if the POTUS can go there but I doubt it.
  19. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Not broken -- just clicked it again.
    What the sam hell is going on here!

Quote Originally Posted by Yahoo
    Sorry, the page you requested was not found.
    The story or page you were trying to access may have expired.

If you are having trouble locating a destination on Yahoo! News, try visiting the Yahoo! News home page or browse through the News site index. Also, you may find what you're looking for if you try searching below.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ngry_mayor_hk1