Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 1405
  1. #21  
    This is all sooo friggin' unbelievable. Nobody thought it was going to do any serious damage in south mississippi because it was predicted to go to N.O. It's surreal.

    My sister actually got text messages from those still in the Gulfport/Biloxi area...then she even got a phone call from the same person. It took them forever to reach her, tho. They walked to my grandmother's house and it's alright. I'm thinking my house just so happen to be high enough off sea level...or hoping at least.

    But already I've heard confirmed reports of sooo many of my friends' houses that still have anywhere from 2 to 7 feet of water in their house; and some only have half a house left. Definitely surreal!
  2. #22  
    My mother-in-laws whole family is from NO. They all made it out and my in-laws have five families staying with them at their home in Arkansas. All of their homes and places of work are destroyed. At least they are alive and safe, but it is so awful. My best to any and all that are suffering due to this tragedy.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I hope if you have family there, they made it out okay. Worry about the material things later.
    [Most] Everybody I know is alright...Thank God for SMS!! There's only one more person we're waiting to hear about, and then the anxiety will be over.
  4. #24  
    Well...at least I know what kinda job I'm gonna have for the next few months: ROOFING!!
  5. #25  
    I merged a few of the NO/hurricane threads and changed the original title.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Now if only I could figure how to send canned foods and other things theose people could use right now.
    I didn't even think about that until we heard stories of virtually everything being leveled and our relatives crappin' in wal-mart bags . We went north about 150 mi. and we were struggling to find all 3 of our meals and COMPLAINING about it. I'm pretty sure we've already had too much cabin fever and anxiety.

    I really want to go back home...soon! But I doubt that's going to happen.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    I didn't even think about that until we heard stories of virtually everything being leveled and our relatives crappin' in wal-mart bags . We went north about 150 mi. and we were struggling to find all 3 of our meals and COMPLAINING about it. I'm pretty sure we've already had too much cabin fever and anxiety.

    I really want to go back home...soon! But I doubt that's going to happen.
    I was thinking of that earlier. I made a donation to Red Cross, and thought, "wait, these people need food, clothes, etc. right now, not money." I know the Red Cross will put it to good use, but still...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  8. #28  
    If this is our tsunami, are the Swiss gonna send their four helicopters to help us??
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  9. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #29  
    Here is some sample photos from Yahoo!. There is some great photos in here and I suggest you folks check em out.




    Water spills over a levee along the Inner Harbor Navigational Canal in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, Louisiana. Fresh floods, fires and looting rode in the destructive wake of Hurricane Katrina, deepening a humanitarian crisis that left hundreds feared dead and sections of New Orleans submerged to the rooftops.The(AFP/Pool/Vincent Laforet)




    Damaged homes caused by Hurricane Katrina are shown in the Oak Harbor subdivision in Slidell, La., Tuesday, Aug. 30, 2005. (AP Photo/Mari Darr~Welch)




    The Palace Casino in Biloxi, Miss. partially lies underwater Tuesday Aug. 30, 2005 after Hurricane Katrina passed through the area.(AP Photo/Peter Cosgrove)
    http://news.yahoo.com/photos/sm/even...icalweathe/p:1
  10. #30  
    My wife and I, along with my son and daughter-in-law evacuated from New Orleans to Ft. Polk Louisiana where my son is based. They (he and my other daughter-in-law) have taken us in until????. Yes we're luckly, everyone is safe so far. But can't get in touch with my mother-in-law who was in Biloxi. We're praying.

    Few cells in the 504 area code are working.

    If there's any good news, my son has wifi in the house and we've got 4 laptops and one desktop going (and of course one Treo).

    Side note- can't make calls to 504 but can send and receive SMS to those with 504 but have evacuated.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I was thinking of that earlier. I made a donation to Red Cross, and thought, "wait, these people need food, clothes, etc. right now, not money." I know the Red Cross will put it to good use, but still...
    I worked as a volunteer for Red Cross - and the problem is that of logistics and distribution rather than availability of food or clothes. I would say that money (and blood of course) works best.
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    If this is our tsunami, are the Swiss gonna send their four helicopters to help us??
    you really are a troll aren't you?
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
  13. #33  
    My New Orleans relatives are in Tampa, Birmingham, Huntsville, Little Rock, and Houston. They are all safe and counting their blessings.

    I went to bed last night thinking that we had dodged the bullet. Woke up this morning to Lake New Orleans. Got hopeful when I heard that the breeched levee was on the 17th Street Canal, a few hundred yards from where I grew up and a few hundred yards from my brother's. I thought that a breech of the canal levee would be much easier to remedy than one on the Lakefront. I have not heard anything since 10am to make me any more hopeful except that President Bush is returning to Washington to address the problem. We go to bed in much worse shape than we woke up.
  14. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #34  
    What would be the chances of me takin' my boat up there to help in the rescue? I was thinking they would be slim. Also if I was so inclined who would I get in contact to see if this OK.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    ... I have not heard anything since 10am to make me any more hopeful except that President Bush is returning to Washington to address the problem. We go to bed in much worse shape than we woke up.

    Yes things must be grave indeed.

    He's cut his 5 week vacation short by two days to return to Washington.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  16. #36  
    Interesting article from Popular Mechanics on how NO could be flooded. Check out when it was published.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    What would be the chances of me takin' my boat up there to help in the rescue? I was thinking they would be slim. Also if I was so inclined who would I get in contact to see if this OK.
    I admire your desire to be of help -- but how far is Florida from where you would go -- at least 24hrs or more ??? (That's a genuine question, not rhetorical)

    From watching the news, it looks like most of the non-New Orleans flooded areas (mississipi etc) are coastal where the water will receede normally in fairly good order.

    There will continue to be places where people are cut off, where roads and bridges are damaged, where boats are going to be needed to bring in help and evacuate survivors. But these are likely to be SHALLOW draft vessels -- not something that is sea worthy enough to have traveled from Florida.

    Any area flooded out is going to be filled with unimaginable debris and snags -- not where your boat is likely to have a practical application.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  18. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    I admire your desire to be of help -- but how far is Florida from where you would go -- at least 24hrs or more ??? (That's a genuine question, not rhetorical)
    I would tow my small boat up there. 10 hrs. via car.

    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    From watching the news, it looks like most of the non-New Orleans flooded areas (mississipi etc) are coastal where the water will receede normally in fairly good order.
    I am mostly concerned with New Orleans.

    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    There will continue to be places where people are cut off, where roads and bridges are damaged, where boats are going to be needed to bring in help and evacuate survivors. But these are likely to be SHALLOW draft vessels -- not something that is sea worthy enough to have traveled from Florida.
    I've got a little 20 footer that I use for flats fishing which would be perfect for this sort of thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    Any area flooded out is going to be filled with unimaginable debris and snags -- not where your boat is likely to have a practical application.
    I've got a jet ski which I could use as well. Also you could use any standard drive setup on a boat and just add a piece of sheet metal in the shape of a U to protect the prop.
  19. #40  
    This is surreal indeed! When I first heard the warnings about NO, I was hoping, no PRAYING this forecast was off and it would not be this horrific. But it is! And it's not just NO, but also MS. When you talk about losing your home you are talking about losing a big part of self and your life's treasures. For those lives deceased, that is an immeasurable, and totally un-replacable lost.

    NO is one of my favorite vacation spots in North America and I am saddened beyond words to hear and see it's devastation. I think what really brought it home to me, (before all of the actual video footage) was hearing about the "alligators and water snakes" that could be forced to the surface with the rising waters.

    Thank you guys for the Red Cross link, I think this is a "hell on earth" for the city of NO as well as MS and for Americans who care about our neighbors, rather we know them or not, although it may not have happened to you... it did just happened to an entire city, so let's please try and help them as much as we can with our needed donations.

    I have my news channel stayed on Fox to keep up with the devastated city, hoping that somehow the water will begin to receed.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

    Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions