Page 16 of 71 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920212666 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 1405
  1. #301  
    Well we all have our issues! -LOL
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

    Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  2. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #302  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I try to but it usually end up like
    Ohh thats good! Quite funny.
  3. #303  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I'm not too good with subtleties...
    There was no reason to be subtle, munk.
    I'm back!
  4. #304  
    Jmill,

    Putting our differences aside -- Congrats on your 1000th post!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

    Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  5. #305  
    It is Thursday. Still no food and water in New Orleans. We are now being told that because of the lawlessness evacuation has been stopped. The difference between refugees and the lawless is food and water. I sit here listening to the President's spokesman tally the amount that they have committed while watching children and pregant women in New Orleans who have no food or water.
  6. #306  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    It is Thursday. Still no food and water in New Orleans. We are now being told that because of the lawlessness evacuation has been stopped. The difference between refugees and the lawless is food and water. I sit here listening to the President's spokesman tally the amount that they have committed while watching children and pregant women in New Orleans who have no food or water.

    you're informed and unemotional observations are much valued here ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  7. #307  
    It is Thursday. We are told that Friday the hospital ship Comfort may finally sail for arrival on the Gulf Coast in another week.
  8. #309  
    It is 1240 on Thursday and on MSNBC the President's man is stressing zero tolerance for lawlessness. Sounds to me like "an appeal to his base."
  9. #310  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    you're informed and unemotional observations are much valued here ...
    It is Thursday. I was objective on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. It is becoming more and more difficult to be unemotional. However, I have TV, Internet, phone, electricity, food, water, and air-conditioning. I can hardly identify with the man I just saw on TV whose children are hungry and thirsty. The President's man is telling us that "you have to set priorities." "This is not a time for politics or finger-pointing."

    I find it hard to believe that the most powerful nation in the world has higher priorities than getting food and water to people that it has decided not to evacuate from hell. It is Thursday.
  10. #311  
    I know things are gonna take time, it's just so dishearting to see this type of distress and destruction, especially in our own county.

    I wonder if they could do helicopter drops with needed food and water to the people who have not been relieved?
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

    Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  11. #312  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    Jmill,

    Putting our differences aside -- Congrats on your 1000th post!
    Thank you! I wanted to say something profound and thoughtful with my 1000, not waste it on useless fighting, but I missed that I was getting that close, and well, I didn't have anything nearly as exciting to say.

    GeekyMom, I don't have a problem with you nor with your opinions. This is a difficult situation for everyone, even those of us who are 1000 miles away with cold drinks and A/C. I remember what it was like last September to want for those things, and when you're in that situation, every little thing feels like such a big deal because you're just raw. After having dealt with a fraction of what some of them will have to deal with them, I really feel for them. I honestly do. That's why it bothers me so much to hear about people looting a childrens hospital, because I know there are far more needy people in NO that want and need our help than those who are trying to push it away. And I just don't see the point in making anything more difficult for those people there who really, really need the help and are just desperate.

    I just hope that the National Guard can get a handle on the situation quickly so that things don't escalate further.
    I'm back!
  12. #313  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    It is Thursday. We are told that Friday the hospital ship Comfort may finally sail for arrival on the Gulf Coast in another week.
    That's more than a little disheartening.
    I'm back!
  13. #314  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    But what I was referring to was someone putting a gun in their emergency kit to shoot people who try to get his water, and then complain of other people's unneighborly activity. This had nothing to do with shooting at helicopters.
    I know this comment was targetted directly at me......But, it is not about shooting people who are trying to steal from me.....it is about how they might go about it or attempt to harm my family in attempting to do it. It is self defense for the well being of the welfare of my family, not about keeping what I have in my backpack. There is little doubt that in situations where anarchy rules and my family has the means of survival because of our forethought and planning, we could very easily become targets of hostility.

    Heck, on any given peaceful night people get shot just so the thug could steal a nike pair of shoes or steal the $18 they had in their wallet. What would that same person do after 4 days without water and finds out I have 3 days supply left. Do you think he would just sneak in and take it at night to avoid his fear of harming my family in the process? Or might he attempt to use deadly force as what he would perceive to be the easy way? Look at some of the horror stories about what desperate people are doing in the aftermath of Katrina. Again it is the method that people may take in extreme situations that hopefully that the simply fact that I have deterrent might make the difference.

    I also spend a lot of time in the woods, both alone and with my family, hunting, skiing, fishing, camping, hiking, playing in the snow, etc.... If we ever get stuck, which I have but was luckily always able to make it out in the end, I would at least have some means of getting food as well. If we only one bag for the 3 of us, we have enough food and water for about 2 days. By the time the person lost is noticed missing, reporting, rescue organized, and actually searching....I have seen it take up to 5 days before they are found. A means to additional food would prove to very handy and very welcome...especially if it was really cold when food becomes vital.

    If I was serious about shooting people I wouldn't have a .22....I would have my 9mm in there.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 09/01/2005 at 12:22 PM.
  14. #315  
    NP Jmill,

    This is gonna be a difficult and emotional time for people watching this things unravel and for some time to come. And sometimes semantics can get in the way, which it shouldn't.

    Experience is the best teacher and you have it in this area and I do not. I agree that the National Guard really does need to get a grip of things, (although I trust they are doing what they can) cuz things there are way bad enough already.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

    Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  15. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #316  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    It is Thursday. I was objective on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. It is becoming more and more difficult to be unemotional. However, I have TV, Internet, phone, electricity, food, water, and air-conditioning. I can hardly identify with the man I just saw on TV whose children are hungry and thirsty. The President's man is telling us that "you have to set priorities." "This is not a time for politics or finger-pointing."

    I find it hard to believe that the most powerful nation in the world has higher priorities than getting food and water to people that it has decided not to evacuate from hell. It is Thursday.
    Whmurray, my heart breaks for these folks. I lived in Biloxi through hurricanes and evacuation orders. I have friends still there that I have not been able to contact. I know a lot of the people who are stranded may not have had transportation out but an evacuation order was given. The gov't did not decide not to evacuate people, the people made that choice on their own. We really can not expect instant relief, I know the media have been able to get in and report but it is a lot easier to go in and report than to go in with truck loads of supplies and evacuate those that did not evacuate prior to the storm. It is going to take time. We are talking about hundreds or even thousands (?) of square miles of destruction.
  16. #317  
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    from new orleans here. stuck in motel, no internet excet for my treo ( grabbed it first when fleeing town!). sooo sad for my city. getting a little bored here though. don't know when we'l be allowed to return. anyone out there?
    How you doing Ido?
  17. #318  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    NP Jmill,

    This is gonna be a difficult and emotional time for people watching this things unravel and for some time to come. And sometimes semantics can get in the way, which it shouldn't.

    Experience is the best teacher and you have it in this area and I do not. I agree that the National Guard really does need to get a grip of things, (although I trust they are doing what they can) cuz things there are way bad enough already.
    Agreed!
    I'm back!
  18. #319  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Whmurray, my heart breaks for these folks. I lived in Biloxi through hurricanes and evacuation orders. I have friends still there that I have not been able to contact. I know a lot of the people who are stranded may not have had transportation out but an evacuation order was given. The gov't did not decide not to evacuate people, the people made that choice on their own. We really can not expect instant relief, I know the media have been able to get in and report but it is a lot easier to go in and report than to go in with truck loads of supplies and evacuate those that did not evacuate prior to the storm. It is going to take time. We are talking about hundreds or even thousands (?) of square miles of destruction.
    the old, the infirm, the poor -- and New Orleans has lots of all of them -- did not have cars. Did not have places to go. Those who could it seems, left. Many were not able and there was no provision made to provide buses etc. to facilitate that evacuation in the days before the storm.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  19. #320  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    the old, the infirm, the poor -- and New Orleans has lots of all of them -- did not have cars. Did not have places to go. Those who could it seems, left. Many were not able and there was no provision made to provide buses etc. to facilitate that evacuation in the days before the storm.
    I think I have to agree with Barye.....on his last comment....I didn't see, though I could have missed it, assistance in evacuating prior to this storm. Just the order, or was it strong advice, to do it.

Posting Permissions