Page 14 of 71 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718192464 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    Actually, my kids said to me that the reason they're doing it is because of the fact that those people have NOTHING and we can certainly do without some of our stuff. Brought tears to my eyes and swelled my heart with pride !
    Nothing better than hearing that! Great job raising your kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Nothing better than hearing that! Great job raising your kids.
    Yep, my 11-1/2 year old is not there yet!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    errr... I didn't merge this.

Must've been one of them new mods flexing their muscle!
    Oh, sorry about that. Whoever merged I would have preferred the donation thread to have stayed separate. Is that possible? I feel it needed more exposure by having it's own Title, instead of being buried in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Oh, sorry about that. Whoever merged I would have preferred the donation thread to have stayed separate. Is that possible? I feel it needed more exposure by having it's own Title, instead of being buried in this thread.
    I agree. Some people may get turned off when they start seeing the political references and leave the thread before seeing this part.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I mean imagine no one having drinking water for 3 days and they find out that my family has some....some people are not very neighborly in situations like that.
    You mean like the people that shoot their neighbors?
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    You mean like the people that shoot their neighbors?
    Shoot at their neighbors? How about the idiots who are shooting at the ambulances and rescue helicopters, preventing them from helping people who really need it!

Morons.

They're talking about groups of gun-toting idiots car-jacking people, holding up supply trucks, etc. All this will do is force the National Guard to enforce martial law, rather than help with the search-and-rescue mission.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...home-headlines
    I'm back!
    Unfortunately, these few thugs are giving the city a black eye and not representing the masses of people there just trying to survive and need our help not our cynicism.

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    How about the idiots who are shooting at the ambulances and rescue helicopters, preventing them from helping people who really need it!
    That's hard to believe. Why would somebody shoot at an ambulance or a rescue helicopter?

I can understand the rationale behind looting or car-jacking, but shooting at a rescue helicopter?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    That's hard to believe. Why would somebody shoot at an ambulance or a rescue helicopter?

I can understand the rationale behind looting or car-jacking, but shooting at a rescue helicopter?
    Please explain to me the rationale behind looting and car-jacking.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts

Believe it. This is what some uneducated people do.
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Free stuff free car. At least I think that is it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Shoot at their neighbors? How about the idiots who are shooting at the ambulances and rescue helicopters, preventing them from helping people who really need it!
    That's really beside the point. I was referring to putting a gun right next to your water supply and then complaining about others being unneighborly.
    Because their thugs!

Thug: "A cutthroat or ruffian; a hoodlum."

We are offering to share our home just outside of Jacksonville, FL to a young family impacted by Katrina. I've contacted a New Orleans friend who is staying with family in TX. He is trying to see if he knows of anyone. If he doesn't I'm gonna put a listing on craigslist. If you haven't already, go to craigslist - new orleans. There are hundreds of listings for free places to live for the refugees. It is awesome.

I'm mentioning this in hopes maybe someone else here in the Southeast US might be able to offer the same.
  15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Well here is a bright spot!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    For further information, call: Susan Castiglione, Senior Manager, Corporate & Public Affairs, (678) 762-2211

COLONIAL PIPELINE RESTARTS SYSTEM

August 31, 2005

Colonial Pipeline today announced that it is safely restarting its pipeline. The initial restart of Colonial's Main lines 1 and 2 is scheduled to begin within the next several hours.

Initial service restoration will provide between 25% and 35% of Colonial's normal operating capacity. Both gasoline and distillate service is included in this system restart. Colonial's first priority through all of these restart activities is the protection of public safety and the environment.

Following this baseline restoration of partial service, Colonial will continue with the previously announced installation of distributed generation equipment along its system in Louisiana and Mississippi to provide electric power. This power will allow Colonial to gradually increase the rate of throughput on the system throughout the weekend.

Colonial anticipates that the maximum percentage of normal capacity that these interim measures will provide is between 50% and 60%. Colonial continues to work closely with local electrical utilities as they begin to restore power along the pipeline.

Colonial Pipeline, headquartered in Alpharetta, Ga., delivers a daily average of 100 million gallons of gasoline, home heating oil, aviation fuel and other refined petroleum products to communities and businesses throughout South and the Eastern United States. Colonial consists of more than 5,500 miles of pipeline, originating at Houston, Texas, and terminating at the New York harbor.

http://www.colpipe.com/press_release/pr_73.asp

Press Release No Copyright Issues
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    Unfortunately, these few thugs are giving the city a black eye and not representing the masses of people there just trying to survive and need our help not our cynicism.
    Unfortunately, it appears to be more than a few. Hundreds of guns have been stolen from pawn shops and Wal-Marts. A childrens hospital was looted. The director of a fully functioning hospital has asked for an emergency evacuation because one of their supply trucks containing food, water, medicine, and other supplies was jacked, and they're afraid the hospital itself is next.

These are not isolated incidents, and they do nothing more than to slow down the search-and-rescue process, prevent people like NRG from volunteering his own personal time and resources to help in the rescue, and create mixed feelings from people who want to contribute but are afraid their money might be wasted by people stealing the supplies they're trying to provide.
    I'm back!
    Please pass this along to anyone who may be able to use it:

Here is some more info to help folx:

I just received this email about help Texas is giving to refugees.

Do you know anyone in Texas as an evacuee from any of the three states

Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama? If so, the Texas Department of Health and

Human Services will give them 2 months of Food Stamps with no questions

asked. All they need to show is a drivers license. This agency will also

give you information and locations where they can receive FREE GAS. Also,

if you are housing anyone from one of these states you can call FEMA at

(800) 621-3362 file a claim and receive assistance for your help. This is

valid information directly from TDHHS.

http://www.hhsc.state.tx.us/

Also Tom Joyner is going to be taking collections for folx who have taken in those who had to evacuate. He is planning on verifying their need through the local churches. You can probably find more information on www.blackamericaweb.com .
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    That's really beside the point. I was referring to putting a gun right next to your water supply and then complaining about others being unneighborly.
    I don't see how this is beside the point. I think if you're willing to shoot at a Coast Guard helicopter trying to snatch someone off their roof, or at a military helicopter trying to get people out of the Superdome to someplace safe, your community has already suffered a severe breakdown of human decency.
    I'm back!
  19. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    NRG, found this number in an article here is a number to call if you have a boat and are willing to help.

Officials are asking anyone with a boat that wants to help with rescue operations to call 225-765-2706.
    "All circuits are busy" this is what I got when I called. I will try again in a little while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Car-jacking gets you a car to drive away, looting gets you goods you would have to pay for otherwise. Both are an advantage for those who do it, even if it is a criminal advantage.

Shooting at rescue helicopters does not bring any advantage to anybody. Criminals and thugs follow their own advantage, but since there is none in this case, I don't understand why anybody would do such a thing.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)