Page 13 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182363 ... LastLast
    Jees...it seems the news in the aftermath of this storm just keeps getting worse and worse!!

Anyway, there is talk that the admin is definitely going to release some of the strategic pertroleum reserves to ease some of the crude oil shortages. The problem though is that there is a FINITE amount of refinery capacity out there which was already near someting like 85-90% capacity BEFORE Katrina! Thus the bottleneck which will increase gasoline prices is not crude prices, but the lack of refinery capacity which quite frankly is b/c the US has NOT built a new oil refinery in over 20 years b/c of overly zelous environmental policy...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Jees...it seems the news in the aftermath of this storm just keeps getting worse and worse!!

Anyway, there is talk that the admin is definitely going to release some of the strategic pertroleum reserves to ease some of the crude oil shortages. The problem though is that there is a FINITE amount of refinery capacity out there which was already near someting like 85-90% capacity BEFORE Katrina! Thus the bottleneck which will increase gasoline prices is not crude prices, but the lack of refinery capacity which quite frankly is b/c the US has NOT built a new oil refinery in over 20 years b/c of overly zelous environmental policy...

oil company mergers have also been a factor --

but its good to know that your making your backyard available for that new refinery

(I know I didn't want it in mine)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Well...

On one hand, it amazes me that we have let ourselves get to this condition. On the other hand, I'm not surprised. I mean, we all let the environmentalist dictate our economic future by not allowing any new drilling, no new piplines and no new refineries.

It is truly a sad state, that we allowed ourselves to get to this condition from a major weather event.

As many of you know, I drive for a living. If diesel fuel gets the point of being unavailable, or becomes to cost prohibitive, this truck and many others aren't going be rolling with the goods you all expect to find in the stores.

Yeah, it's a scary situation. If fuel can't be obtained and if consumer goods aren't available, it could get real bad. I just hope the situation dosen't endure for a long period, and get real ugly.

Chuck
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    oil company mergers have also been a factor --

but its good to know that your making your backyard available for that new refinery

(I know I didn't want it in mine)
    That's exactly my point. No new refineries, no new drilling, no new Nuc power plants, no to deisel (b/c of CO2 emissions), no shale, no to anwarm no to everything. And yet we still complain against over dependence on ME oil! You can't have it both ways...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    That's exactly my point. No new refineries...
    Here's an interesting read...
    “As observed over the last few years and as projected well into the future, the most critical factor facing the refining industry on the West Coast is the surplus refining capacity, and the surplus gasoline production capacity. The same situation exists for the entire U.S. refining industry. Supply significantly exceeds demand year-round. This results in very poor refinery margins, and very poor refinery financial results. Significant events need to occur to assist
    in reducing supplies and/or increasing the demand for gasoline.”
    Internal Texaco document, March 7, 1996

“A senior energy analyst at the recent API (American Petroleum Institute) convention warned that if the U.S. petroleum industry doesn’t reduce its refining capacity, it will never see any substantial increase in refining margins…However, refining utilization has been rising, sustaining high levels of operations, thereby keeping prices low.”
    Internal Chevron document, November 30, 1995
    http://wyden.senate.gov/leg_issues/r...oil_report.pdf

Any thoughts? Assuming some of you will not agree with the findings of a Democratic Senator, where is he wrong?

In my view, he documents very nicely that the refinery capacity was too high in the US about 10 years back, leading to low margins for the industry, something the industry decided to tackle by not investing into refineries any more. Makes sense from an economic point of view of course. Refinery margins in the US certainly are much higher now than 10 years ago, since refinery capacity is in short supply after the closing of many refineries (also without hurricanes), thus driving prices higher even stronger than the oil price would dictate.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I hope he's somewhere chillin and not hurt or worst.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    My company works with Aidmatrix quite a bit and one thing that I'm impressed with is their ability to stretch your donation to make the most of it and provide specifically what is needed in the relief effort. Here's a link to their efforts to help in this situation and a link to donate.

I gave $100 which will be matched by my company (who also gave $100,000 donation in addition to matching their employee gifts)

http://www.aidmatrix.org/desktop/com...anekatrina.jsp
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Tell me about your drive to work. Did you find gas?
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geneld
    My company works with Aidmatrix quite a bit and one thing that I'm impressed with is their ability to stretch your donation to make the most of it and provide specifically what is needed in the relief effort. Here's a link to their efforts to help in this situation and a link to donate.

I gave $100 which will be matched by my company (who also gave $100,000 donation in addition to matching their employee gifts)

http://www.aidmatrix.org/desktop/com...anekatrina.jsp
    Thanks Geneld. We need more people like you here in T|C. We've gotten a hundred dollars closer to the $10,000 mark. Come T|C I know you got in you!
    I know this may sound ultra evil and such...but um...I think mother nature wants her land back, and I think she wants it now
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Tell me about your drive to work. Did you find gas?
    Well, I turned right out of my driveway. Turned into the 7-11 down the street to get my coffee. Made a right out of that driveway and continued for another mile. Made a right onto the freeway. Looked over my shoulder and merged. A few miles later, I exited the freeway and made a right at the bottom of the ramp. Another right turn into the lot and proceeded to back into my spot. Exited vehicle with coffee and locked the doors.

How about your drive?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I made a $50.00 donation, and am awaiting a call back from the local Red Cross to see if there's anything I can do around here. I may attend their Disaster Relief Training class and possibly give up a couple of weeks to go help somewhere. In the meantime, the kids are gathering up old clothes, shoes, blankets, etc, so we can get them to the Salvation Army.

Much like I did at 9/11, I sit here and feel totally helpless. Regardless of what trials and tribulations I may deal with day to day, those people have got it infinitely worse than I can ever imagine. I was able to get up this morning, shower, make a cup of coffee, and check my email. Most of them probably didn't sleep last night. Some may not have even made it to the light of day... and it's only going to get worse before it gets better.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Mark, The clothing thing is a good idea, folks there don't have ANYTHING now. It's so sad!

Being a Mom of 4 kids, I cannot get my mind around living in a Dome like that, but we do what we have to do to get through and survive.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Well, I turned right out of my driveway. Turned into the 7-11 down the street to get my coffee. Made a right out of that driveway and continued for another mile. Made a right onto the freeway. Looked over my shoulder and merged. A few miles later, I exited the freeway and made a right at the bottom of the ramp. Another right turn into the lot and proceeded to back into my spot. Exited vehicle with coffee and locked the doors.

How about your drive?
    I thought you stayed home all day and typed on this forum. You have a car? You go outside?
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I thought you stayed home all day and typed on this forum. You have a car? You go outside?
    I have two cars even! And would you like to hear of my drive home? Probably not as exciting as the drive to work though...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  16. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    I made a $50.00 donation, and am awaiting a call back from the local Red Cross to see if there's anything I can do around here. I may attend their Disaster Relief Training class and possibly give up a couple of weeks to go help somewhere. In the meantime, the kids are gathering up old clothes, shoes, blankets, etc, so we can get them to the Salvation Army.

Much like I did at 9/11, I sit here and feel totally helpless. Regardless of what trials and tribulations I may deal with day to day, those people have got it infinitely worse than I can ever imagine. I was able to get up this morning, shower, make a cup of coffee, and check my email. Most of them probably didn't sleep last night. Some may not have even made it to the light of day... and it's only going to get worse before it gets better.
    Thanks for donation Mark, you crazy merging mod!
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    you crazy merging mod!
    errr... I didn't merge this.

Must've been one of them new mods flexing their muscle!
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    I was once on a contingency planning program with Jake Garn, Senator, astronaut, and former mayor of Salt Lake City. He was mayor when Salt Lake City suffered massive flooding. He said that if one had to be mayor of a large city during a disaster, pick Salt Lake. Emergency preparedness is part of the culture. Community organization is part of the culture.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    folks there don't have ANYTHING now
    Actually, my kids said to me that the reason they're doing it is because of the fact that those people have NOTHING and we can certainly do without some of our stuff. Brought tears to my eyes and swelled my heart with pride !
    MarkEagle
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650