Page 12 of 71 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172262 ... LastLast
    Instead of possibly hijacking this thread I will post this in a new thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=94792
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 09/01/2005 at 01:12 AM.
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Holy dogs*** and a WTF for good measure!!

20 oil rigs missing in Gulf of Mexico: US Coast Guard

Wed Aug 31, 5:37 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) - At least 20 oil rigs and platforms are missing in the Gulf of Mexico and a ruptured gas pipeline is on fire after Hurricane Katrina tore through the region, a US Coast Guard official said.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We have confirmed at least 20 rigs or platforms missing, either sunk or adrift, and one confirmed fire where a rig was," Petty Officer Robert Reed of the Louisiana Coast Guard told AFP.

All of the missing rigs were in the Gulf of Mexico, Reed said citing Coast Guard overflights of the area and information from oil companies.

He could not confirm the location of the blaze but said it would "eventually burn out" and no fire-fighting intervention was needed.

"We are of course working on the environmental side of things but right now we are still concentrating on search-and-rescue missions to save as many lives as possible on land," said Reed, whose own Coast Guard team has been evacuated from the flooded city of New Orleans to Alexandria, Louisiana.

-snip-

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050831...s_050831213716
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    This is very important folks!! I know this sounds bad but, buy oil and NG futures.

20 oil rigs missing in Gulf of Mexico: US Coast Guard
    Wed Aug 31, 5:37 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) - At least 20 oil rigs and platforms are missing in the Gulf of Mexico and a ruptured gas pipeline is on fire after Hurricane Katrina tore through the region, a US Coast Guard official said.

"We have confirmed at least 20 rigs or platforms missing, either sunk or adrift, and one confirmed fire where a rig was," Petty Officer Robert Reed of the Louisiana Coast Guard told AFP.

All of the missing rigs were in the Gulf of Mexico, Reed said citing Coast Guard overflights of the area and information from oil companies.

He could not confirm the location of the blaze but said it would "eventually burn out" and no fire-fighting intervention was needed.

"We are of course working on the environmental side of things but right now we are still concentrating on search-and-rescue missions to save as many lives as possible on land," said Reed, whose own Coast Guard team has been evacuated from the flooded city of New Orleans to Alexandria, Louisiana.

-snip-

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050831...s_050831213716
    Be afraid, very afraid.
    I am still working on the company my wife works for and the company I work for (which is a large company) and also to have the client we represent (a large movie company) match our donations (which may be a matter of contractual issue). Believe it or not, the company I work for do not have an established donation policy already in place, so we are working our way up the chain of command to get one in place to get this going. Man, Corp red tape is a pain in the *&%&^$!
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetoad
    grndslm, have you heard any reports from D'Iberville, Woolmarket, or Moss Point? My family lives in those areas and we haven't heard much. I imagine D'Iberville is gone but don't know for sure. Pascagoula seemed to get an excessive amount of flooding so I don't hold high hopes for Moss Point. Hopefully the Woolmarket area wasn't hit too much by water because we didn't have flood insurance there....
    The entire coast seemed "to get an excessive amount of flooding"...

if you'd like more information, these sites will serve you fairly well (at least in terms of the MS Gulf Coast):

TEXT = http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/
    VIDEOS = http://www.wlox.com/Global/category.asp?C=63035

I am apparently one of the lucky ones that had their house spared. We've heard from every one of my family/friends except for brother-in-law and great aunt - besides those 2 we're in great shape. Other than that, most of my family's houses are fine as well, excluding my uncle's house which was ONLY 2 feet deep in water (compard to 5~10 of several of my friends)...and my sister's house's damage is still unknown. EVEN MY BROTHER'S HOUSE WAS WATER-FREE AND HE LIVES IN NEW ORLEANS (uptown...he'll be able to sell his house for a half a million dollars after it survived this)!!!

Overall, my family lucked out to the highest extent...it's amazing to me. But plenty of my friends who live on 2nd St. (right next to the beach) have no more homes and I know of one person for sure that stayed in his house on that same road and almost died.

What's crazy to me is that people have texted their need for gas more than their need for water - CRAZY!!!

I'm prolly gonna go to my grandparent's house in OK for about a week and then stock up on everything we can and go back to the coast. I don't understand how we're going to funciton with the damage that we've seen in those videos above. Even if you don't live there...check out the ones of aerial videos of gulfport and biloxi. Those are sooo bad...sooooo soo sooooo sooo bad.
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I am still working on the company my wife works for and the company I work for (which is a large company) and also to have the client represent (a large movie company) match our donations (which may be a matter of contractual issue). Believe it or not, the company I work for do not have an established donation policy already in place, so we are working our way up the chain of command to get one in place to get this going. Man, Corp red tape is a pain in the *&%&^$!
    Keep it up Hobbes. Which I know you will.
  7. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    I seriously hope the US can get helicopters, boats, food, clothing, medical supplies, and everything else needed to NO much faster than the rest of the world... it would be really sad if you would have to wait until those things arrive from Europe or Canada. But again, tell us what you need, and we will help.
    According to the Globe and Mail:
    Canadian politicians and health authorities have offered to send emergency medical supplies to help relief efforts.
    I agree, the advantage of being a have nation is that you can help your own much faster than your average have-not nation, and we do, privately and governmentally. But I think the bulk of the tsunami aid came from the same people who will be giving to help the ravaged people in New Orleans and the Gulf coast; it's not fair to ask why more people gave to tsunami relief - I doubt anyone donates to people they percieve to be fundamentally better off than themselves.
    ALL TERRORIST SKIP THIS POST.....

I will tell you that it would not take much to cripple us at the moment. A couple well placed accidents could really hurt us now. For example if there was a major tanker collision that sank one or both of them at the narrow point in the oil port in Texas right now would be devastating. Three or four well placed bombs while we are distracted on major pipelines would hike our prices dramatically.

In other words any additional disruption with our oil flow....or even a perceived disruption would be a huge blow to adding economic challenges all across the country.
    OOOHHHHHH.

I can see it now. Fuel up to 5 bucks a gallon shortly. Okay, who here thinks Bush had the oil rigs sunk?

Chuck
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Be afraid, very afraid.
    Believe me, I am...when my friends from the coast text back: "Bring as much oil as you can, we'll pay you double" but don't even bother to mention drinks or food....you know your country's dependence lies in the wrong place entirely. I'm sure the gas will run generators which will in turn provide a lot for us....but, it'll never be more important than the TRUE necessities.

But dammmit, dammmit, dammmit....I wish we could get rid of this dependence on oil somehow!!
  11. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    How much would gas have to cost to have people give up their SUV's? Did anyone see the cover of the Economist this week "The Oiloholics" (US & China)?
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    More.

Shortage looms if jet-fuel disruption not fixed soon
    By Dan Reed, USA TODAY
    Major airports in the East and Southeast could run out of jet fuel as soon as next week if refinery and pipeline shutdowns aren't resolved soon.
    Shortages appear most severe at airports in Charlotte, Tampa, Orlando and Fort Myers, Fla. But two of the USA's busiest airports could also be affected — Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson and Washington Dulles.

Industry consultant John Armbrust says the supply disruption could cause some airports to run out of fuel in a week or two. John Heimlich, chief economist at the airline trade group Air Transport Association, says two weeks is more realistic.

"By then, we'd better have this problem rectified or we'll have a serious problem," Heimlich says.

After Hurricane Katrina, ATA and the USA's big airlines are scrambling to head off possible grounding of some planes or service reductions at affected airports.

-snip-

http://www.usatoday.com/money/biztra...uel-usat_x.htm
    I can see the need for fuel. If I have a full tank of gas, I can drive hundreds of miles away from a bad area. If I have no gas, I am stuck there.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Looks like airports are feeling the crunch.

Airlines Cancel More Flights, Prepare for Possible Fuel Shortages

HARRY R. WEBER
    Associated Press Writer

ATLANTA - With the airports in New Orleans and Gulfport, Miss., closed to commercial traffic, airlines that serve the popular destinations face a loss of business while dealing with potential fuel shortages.

Daily jet fuel production nationwide has been cut 13 percent because of damage from the hurricane to Gulf Coast refineries, according to Jack Evans of the Air Transport Association.

» USA Today: Major Airports East, Southeast Could Run out of Jet Fuel

"What it means is there is less fuel essentially," Evans said Wednesday. "Carriers are having to take measures to conserve fuel at airports where they are low and tanker in fuel when serving some destinations on the East Coast."

Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport, meanwhile, has reopened to allow humanitarian flights in and out during daylight hours, but officials are unsure when commercial service will resume there. Most of the airlines that serve the area have canceled their flights until next week.

-snip-

http://www.airportbusiness.com/artic...tion=1&id=3354
    Who here watched that show on...USA of Fox?...about 3 months ago that was a pretend documentary on a very similar situation with a huge oil shortage in our nation triggered by a massive cat 5 plus storm hitting nearly exactly where Katrina did? It was pretty interesting and prices topped out at around $8 or $9 a gallon. It tried to explore what would happen to our economy, our work force and unemployment, how it would effect our foreign relationships with other countries, etc...

In their scenario driving restrictions were enforce (much like a curfew), people lost their homes because of unemployment, and China tried to step up and buy all the extra oil that was heading to the USA by over paying for the oil in a step to becoming a major super power.
  16. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Who here watched that show on...USA of Fox?...about 3 months ago that was a pretend documentary on a very similar situation with a huge oil shortage in our nation triggered by a massive cat 5 plus storm hitting nearly exactly where Katrina did? It was pretty interesting and prices topped out at around $8 or $9 a gallon. It tried to explore what would happen to our economy, our work force and unemployment, how it would effect our foreign relationships with other countries, etc...

In their scenario driving restrictions were enforce (much like a curfew), people lost their homes because of unemployment, and China tried to step up and buy all the extra oil that was heading to the USA by over paying for the oil in a step to becoming a major super power.
    I did! Thatbwas some scary shi*. We are heading there, 2 major pipelines are damaged!
    All I know is that after watching those videos, any house I build/buy will be a dome-shaped house. St. Michaels church (in one of those videos) is a white dome shaped building and it's the only thing in its area that has stood through many a natural disasters.

My uncle commented about how we waste money by building our civilization so close to the water, but it's only natural...look at the population densities compared to where water is.

Forget moving away...just put a dome on top of your house instead of a regular roof with a ridge.

DOME!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    The NY Times describes the levee challenge:

the corps and other agencies were "in a great frenzy" to figure out how to plug the 300-foot gap along the 17th Street Canal.
    Given the devastating effect of a breach in a NO levee, and the likelyhood of the event in a region where hurricanes are to be expected, I would have thought that there is not only a plan A with all the material needed ready in some place further away, but also a plan B and C in case repair doesn't work out according to plan A.

A levee breaking was bound to happen sooner or later. Sure Katrina was big, but it was "only" category 4, not 5, when it hit the coast, and it was not a direct hit.

They planned to start fixing the breach Wednesday evening, but by then the damage was already complete, since lake Pontchartrain is level with the water in NO now.

"Baumy and his colleagues acknowledged, despite media reports to the contrary, that not a single shovel of sand or other fill material had yet been dumped into the 17th Street breach. ...

About 200 bags already had been filled with “sand, gravel, pea gravel, anything we can grab,” Baumy said. “We’ll just continue to drop bags as long as it takes.”

Helicopters were to be used because the site can’t be reached by land or barge.

“We have not done this before,” Breerwood said. “We are looking at any option available to stop this breach. Our goal is just to get as much into the breach as fast as possible.”
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9145473/
    Last edited by clulup; 09/01/2005 at 03:02 AM.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    i make car parts for a living, so i am more than AFRAID, right now im scared as hell
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)