Page 11 of 71 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162161 ... LastLast
    I have so busy at work today, I haven't read every post in this thread....so I do apologize if this is a double post. I heard today that they are planning on rebuilding NO, but that given it's location with the odds are that it is not if but just a matter of when something like this will happen again....they are starting to raise the question about the wisdom of rebuilding or not. I heard this on Fox News, so I am sure there is a cite somewhere. I found this interesting as I have never heard of anyone ever seriously questioning rebuilding after a major disaster in our History before.
    I heard today that they are planning on rebuilding NO, but that given it's location with the odds are that it is not if but just a matter of when something like this will happen again
    While New Orleans is a little more extreme this could be said of any city on the Gulf and southern East Coast but they still rebuild them.
    I agree, which is why it surprised me. But it is because of the unique location that NO is located that is apparently drawing out the question. They are in a big bowl with a huge lake one side and the ocean on the other.
    Its worst than them just being in a big bowl below sea level. The city is literally sinking. It was built on a flood plain but over the years they've damned up and built levies to contain the mississipi. Without the sediment and silt washing in from the floods, there is nothing to replensish it as the ground under the city settles.

(creepy, notice the date on that article from popular mechanics.)
    Man....that does not sound like a hypothetical story at all, but rather exactly what we have been seeing and reading about for the last several days.

10,000 More Guard Troops to Support Military's Hurricane Response
    By Donna Miles
    American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Aug. 31, 2005 More than 11,000 Army and Air National Guard members and 7,200 active-duty troops, mostly Navy, are supporting hurricane relief operations along the Gulf Coast, and 10,000 more National Guard troops are expected to join the effort within the next 48 hours, Defense Department officials said today.

FULL STORY HERE

eerily prescient.
    Before and after satellite imagery...

link
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal

10,000 More Guard Troops to Support Military's Hurricane Response
    By Donna Miles
    American Forces Press Service
    That's great.

We saw this storm coming for days. I can't believe we didn't have more stuff prepositioned in order to respond faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    That's great.

We saw this storm coming for days. I can't believe we didn't have more stuff prepositioned in order to respond faster.
    You know, I spent a good part of Sunday reading about the predictions but I never really believed it would be as bad as the models. I'm not sure what we would have pre-positioned if we could have. When was the last time a major American metropolitan area was completely flooded and the waters didn't recede?

Hurricanes hit all over the place and we NEVER pre-position troops or equipment. We've got bases all over the south so we end up moving folks after the fact. This is just how things are done.

I've got refugee experience (Gitmo '94 with Cubans and Haitians). It's all difficult and ugly. You make this stuff up as you go.

I gotta tell ya, the look in a man's face who had just lost EVERYTHING he owned in the past 24 hours is not something you're likely to forget.
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
    Whether the waters receded or not, had I been NORTHCOM, I would have requested permission to start mobilizing guard units from adjacent states. Aviation (helos), engineers (Water Purification Units and heavy equipment) and MPs would have been on my wish list.

I also would have had C-130's uploaded with food, water, etc, configured for air drops.

I would have had several Navy flat deck platforms, stuffed to the gills with helos, loitering a day's steaming away.

I would have prepositioned the army helos out of the storm path, and then ran a vigorous aerial recon as soon as things cleared. Top priority would be to establish Forward Area Refueling Points, as well as medical facilities.

Bottom line is that I think we're at least 36 hours behind where this effort could have b een.
    For those of you who're frequent fliers - United, American and few others are also giving bonus miles to those who donated to Red Cross or other relief organizations.
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    Whether the waters receded or not, had I been NORTHCOM, I would have requested permission to start mobilizing guard units from adjacent states. Aviation (helos), engineers (Water Purification Units and heavy equipment) and MPs would have been on my wish list.

I also would have had C-130's uploaded with food, water, etc, configured for air drops.

I would have had several Navy flat deck platforms, stuffed to the gills with helos, loitering a day's steaming away.

I would have prepositioned the army helos out of the storm path, and then ran a vigorous aerial recon as soon as things cleared. Top priority would be to establish Forward Area Refueling Points, as well as medical facilities.

Bottom line is that I think we're at least 36 hours behind where this effort could have b een.

completely agree with everything you wrote.

just watched the network newscasts -- hundreds of thousands of people have no water, no food, and no way to get out independently.

Surrounded by and immersed in undrinkable water and baked by a burning sun -- dehydration is the most immediate health issue.

What you said about water is whats most important.
    People can go a long time without food -- but not water.

And people out of desperation will soon begin to drink from the witches stew of chemicals and sewage that now imprisons them.

I remember how we went to great effort to bring a desalination water plant to the Tsunami victims of Indonesia ...

Every truck coming into the city should be bringing in bottled water supplies and taking out refugees -- but on the news they had interview after interview of frightened people who've gotten no help, while trucks roll empty into the city.

I have heard that there may be more than 100,000 people still trapped within NO. They should be dropping supplies of water and food for them until everyone can be rescued. In a few days an awful situation will begin to get even worse.
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/01/2005 at 12:05 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Times like this a 72 hour kit can be the factor between life and death. I spent some time last year and put together three 72 hour kits (actually they have enough food and water for about 5 days)...one for each member of our family. I bought a 3 backpack / carry on style bags that can either be worn like a backpack or rolled with a collapsing handing.

In each I have:

• Ration style food
    • Energy bars
    • 4 days of pouches of water that can be rationed to 5 days.
    • folding shovel shovel with saw
    • mask and googles for ash
    • thin sleeping bag (more like a blanket in a sleeping bag style)
    • rain gear
    • signaling stuff: flares, mirror, whistle, bright reflective vests, water coloring ink, etc...
    • TP
    • A windup radio with a built in flashlight and can also receive TV and shortwave
    • Water purification tablets and device
    • socks, thin gloves, and stocking cap
    • clip on bright flashlights
    • envelope of a substantial amount of cash in small bills
    • .22 pistol and ammo
    • space blankets
    • water proof matches and fire starter material (both home made and from store) and powerful cig lighter
    • entertainment: word searches, puzzle books, etc...
    • and some stuff I just can't think of at the moment....
    • Everything is put into zip lock bags and glad flex garbage bags to help protect from water.

All of this is completely mobile, packed, ready to go and always within reach, i.e. one in each of our trunks and one in my front hall closet.

I live about 20 miles from St. Helens and can see her right outside my office window at home. I put these together when St Helens started acting up again this last year. If....or when....she blows again, it could be bad with flooding, no water, no transportation due to ash, ect....

Sure it costs a little bit of money....I spent a total of around $350 for all the kits, including the bags....but not including the gun or the extra cash. It took me about 2 afternoons of shopping to find everything I wanted and to put them together.

I now keep one in each trunk of our cars and one in the house. That way we at least always have one with us no matter where we are or as it usually works out one with each person most of the time.

I would strongly recommend putting some together for you and your family. As we have seen here this week, when you realize you need this stuff it is too late to get any of it. And there are so many situations that come without any warning, earthquake, eruption, tidal wave, twister, etc.... If you cannot support your family for up to 3 days while waiting for help to come, your family could in a worst case scenario...die.

If there is truely a lot of interest in this, I can start another thread and really layout in detail what I have in each kit and help answer questions of what to get and where to find it.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 09/01/2005 at 01:04 AM.
  15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Come on T|C we've got 11 members to donate something. I know there has to be 2000 members on this board. Just think if between 11 of us we can came up with at least 3500 dollars. We could do so much more! We are just looking for $5 a piece. If each one of you gave 5 dollars we could hit $10,000 easily. In fact let's make that the mark, $10,000 is where we want to try and hit. Let's show the best side of Treo owners.
  16. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    NRG, found this number in an article here is a number to call if you have a boat and are willing to help.

Officials are asking anyone with a boat that wants to help with rescue operations to call 225-765-2706.
    I will call in the morning. Thanks for the lead.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Times like this a 72 hour kit can be the factor between life and death. I spent some time last year and put together three 72 hour kits (actually they have enough food and water for about 5 days)...one for each member of our family. I bought a 3 backpack / carry on style bags that can either be worn like a backpack or rolled with a collapsing handing.

In each I have:

• Ration style food
    • Energy bars
    • 4 days of pouches of water that can be rationed to 5 days.
    • folding shovel shovel with saw
    • mask and googles for ash
    • thin sleeping bag (more like a blanket in a sleeping bag style)
    • rain gear
    • signaling stuff: flares, mirror, whistle, bright reflective vests, water coloring ink, etc...
    • TP
    • A windup radio with a built in flashlight and can also receive TV and shortwave
    • Water purification tablets and device
    • socks, thin gloves, and stocking cap
    • clip on bright flashlights
    • envelope of a substantial amount of cash in small bills
    • .22 pistol and ammo
    • space blankets
    • water proof matches and fire starter material (both home made and from store) and powerful cig lighter
    • entertainment: word searches, puzzle books, etc...
    • and some stuff I just can't think of at the moment....

All of this is completely mobile, packed, ready to go and always within reach, i.e. one in each of our trunks and one in my front hall closet.
    All I can say to that is \/\/0\/\/!!!

So, you have concealed weapons in each of your vehicles?? That's pretty strange. I really think I might do what you're mentioning, myself...excluding the gun part.

But \/\/0\/\/!
  18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Seems there has been a run gas lately. I heard word from a friend in Orlando that their ststions are out of gas. I have been noticing the same thing around the Tampa Bay area. So if your town is out of gas please list it here.

So far these are the cities I know are having problems:

Atlanta
    Orlando
    Tampa
    Clearwater
    (Tampa Bay Area)
    Tallahassee
    As far as the gun....it depends on your state or local county laws. For example where I live I only need a concealed weapons permit if I plan on concealing it on my person...which would probably count if I used it as a backpack. But do not need one to store it in my trunk.....weird uh?

But the gun (which is only in one pack and locked in a case with a trigger guard with the ammo in a totally different pocket disguised in a medical kit box) could be used for self defense. I mean imagine no one having drinking water for 3 days and they find out that my family has some....some people are not very neighborly in situations like that.

But the other thing is, if we are stuck while in the woods, ect....at least it is something to get food with as well.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 09/01/2005 at 01:11 AM.
    Your 72-hour kit sounds great. I've started one but you have re-motivated me to finish it.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!