Page 10 of 71 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060 ... LastLast
    I am currently attempting to organize a matching donation with my wife's company, with my company, and to have our client start one for their company as well as match the ones representing them on our team. If this works, everyone at my wife's work will be doubled, everyone else's in my company would be tripled, and my donations will be quadripled.

I am in a huge crunch.....what are some of the latest stats of those seeking shelters, etc.... that might help in this proposal that has a tight deadline.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 08/31/2005 at 02:06 PM.
    Here are some I have so far:

lay plans to evacuate 25,000 refugees to Houston's Astrodome.

Health Secretary Michael Leavitt told reporters that 40 medical centers with 10,000 beds would be set up to treat victims.

-------------------

The number of Hurricane Katrina victims in Red Cross shelters across the Gulf Coast was said to be 45,000 and growing.

Some 250 shelters were open in the storm damaged area and the Red Cross had set up 15 emergency kitchens capable of feeding 350,000 people, spokeswoman Deborah Daley said Wednesday.

“This is our largest mobilization in the history of the organization,” she said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9063708/
    anything else you have found that will help?
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 08/31/2005 at 02:07 PM.
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I am currently attempting to organize a matching donation with my wife's company, with my company, and to have our client start one for their company as well as match the ones representing on our team. If this works, my donations will be tripled and everyone else's in my company would be doubled.

I am in a huge crunch.....what are some of the latest stats of those seeking shelters, etc.... that might help in this proposal that has a tight deadline.
    Terrific work Hobbes. Let us know the outcome. I have already done the same in my company, next I am thinking about getting some of our referring docs involved.
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Well this sucks!

Gunmen Roaming New Orleans

NEW ORLEANS -- The top Homeland Security official in New Orleans said bands of gunmen are roaming through New Orleans.

Terry Ebbert said looters have been breaking into stores all over town to steal guns. The Times-Picayune newspaper reported the gun section at a new Wal-Mart has been cleaned out. And the thieves are apparently using their new guns, with shots heard through the night.

Guns aren't the only things drawing the thieves. People commandeered a forklift on high ground to lift storm shutters and break the glass of a Rite-Aid pharmacy. A crowd stormed the store, carrying ice, water and food.

A spokeswoman for Lousiana's governor said workers at Children's Hospital huddled with sick kids and waited for help to arrive as looters tried to break in. Help never arrived.

-snip-

http://www.wdsu.com/weather/4919970/detail.html
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Well this sucks!
    Here is another crappy statement

Police officers were asking residents to give up any guns they had before they boarded buses and trucks because police desperately needed the firepower: Some officers who had been stranded on the roof of a motel said they were being shot at overnight.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/08/31/D8CAVTG89.html
    I don't know if any of you are watching Fox News or not but there are hundreds of people on highway overpasses just wandering aimlessly with no where to go. There are no police telling them where to go.
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Here is another crappy statement

Police officers were asking residents to give up any guns they had before they boarded buses and trucks because police desperately needed the firepower: Some officers who had been stranded on the roof of a motel said they were being shot at overnight.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/08/31/D8CAVTG89.html
    Yeah, that is not so good either.

Here are some aerial photos of some of the affected areas taken yesterday.
    There you have it, I donated US$50 to the Red Cross. I guess I can trust that organisation with my money, after all it was invented by a Swiss...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Here is some more info on looting.

Even a cop joins in the looting
    Mike Perlstein and Brian Thevenot
    Staff writers

Law enforcement efforts to contain the emergency left by Katrina slipped into chaos in parts of New Orleans Tuesday with some police officers and firefighters joining looters in picking stores clean.

At the Wal-Mart on Tchoupitoulas Street, an initial effort to hand out provisions to stranded citizens quickly disintegrated into mass looting. Authorities at the scene said bedlam erupted after the giveaway was announced over the radio.

While many people carried out food and essential supplies, others cleared out jewelry racks and carted out computers, TVs and appliances on handtrucks.

Some officers joined in taking whatever they could, including one New Orleans cop who loaded a shopping cart with a compact computer and a 27-inch flat screen television.

“The police got all the best stuff. They’re crookeder than us,” one man said.

http://www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/
    The NY Times describes the levee challenge:

the corps and other agencies were "in a great frenzy" to figure out how to plug the 300-foot gap along the 17th Street Canal.

The narrow canal, which is used to drain water pumped out of the eternally soggy city, is not accessible by barge, in part because a newly built low bridge and hurricane barrier sits 700 feet down the canal toward the lake end.

"We can't get at it," Mr. Hall said.

Mr. Hall said that the levee failed as the surge from the storm swept in through Lake Pontchartrain, actually a broad inlet off the gulf, and began sloshing over the vertical steel and concrete wall and the earthen berm behind it.

"Once it got over, it began to scour down at the base of that flood wall on the protected side," he said.

The rising waters in the canal pushed in on the high part of the retaining wall while water cascading over the top ate away at the base, Mr. Hall said, adding: "The effect is like a high-low tackle in football. You hit the head and feet at the same time from opposite directions, and it goes down."

Another problem is that whatever is done to block the breach must not also block the canal itself, because that would impede the pumping of the floodwaters...

Pumping stations

New Orleans has 22 pumping stations that need to work nearly continuously to discharge normal storm runoff and seepage. But they are notoriously fickle. Efforts to add backup power generators to keep them all running during blackouts have been delayed by a lack of federal money.

"Pumping the water out - that's a lot of water," Dr. Penland said. "When the pumping systems are in good shape, it can rain an inch an hour for about four to six hours and the pumps can keep pace. More than that, the city floods."
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    There you have it, I donated US$50 to the Red Cross. I guess I can trust that organisation with my money, after all it was invented by a Swiss...
    Thanks.
    What about my Movado???
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Ick!!

New Orleans now 'hazardous waste site,' experts say

August 31, 2005

The water that swept through New Orleans' streets in the wake of Hurricane Katrina carried more than continued misery for the storm's victims.

It also brought along a potentially toxic soup of pollution - sewage, chemicals and perhaps human bodies.

"The area's become a hazardous waste site," said Dexter Accardo of the St. Tammany Parish Office of Emergency Preparedness.

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency officials are surveying the flooded neighborhoods to gauge how hazardous conditions might be.

"It's not just a normal flood," said John C. Pine, an environmental studies professor at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge. "The stuff is on the buildings and inside them, too."

-snip-

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/08/31/Wo...ow__haza.shtml
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Come on folks. We were doing well for the first hour, now we have just come to a stop. $5 is all that is needed. These people in the south need our help!! If you need to grasp the magnitude of this please see the "Katrina Discussion Thread". Things are bad there and expected to get worse!!! Please just $5 will do.
    I hope everyone is safe -heres info on finding missing loved ones
    I dont know how many folx are in the areas affected by the hurricanes but I hope and pray that everyone is safe. Here is some information that was posted on another forum, it may be helpful so I wanted to pass it along. I havent read through the posts so I apologize if this is old news.

~~Suki~~

www.nola.com

They should have a list of rescued persons and people who are looking for missing relatives. Its a link in the middle of the page.

www.wafb.com

Channel 9 News. They are also accepting donations for the evacuees, clothing, non perishable foods, diapers, hand sanitizers, medicine, etc. They are near downtown Baton Rouge on Government, right next to McDonalds. Please donate anything you think may help.

www.2theadvocate.com

Another news channel

dont forget the redcross, donate if you can... www.redcross.org

Their site is VERY busy...be patient, it will take time to load
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    ok here's my final tally
    myself: 500 + 500 (my company match) = 1000
    wife: 350 (at her workplace)
    church: 250 (thanks to my wife again)

Total: 1600
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    Props to Clulup and his peoples:
    The U.S. Embassy in Bern, Switzerland — a capital at the foot of the Alps hit by flooding last week — said calls were rushing in from Swiss individuals and institutions looking for a way to donate to relief efforts.
    "We are getting calls from the Swiss public looking to express their condolences, (and) people are also asking for an account number where they can make donations," said spokesman Daniel Wendell.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050831/...rina_world_hk4
    I'm back!
    Atlanta is now charging $5.57 for gas to to the storm.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    It was over $6 for the premium stuff.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Left message! Hmm must be busy. Hope to hear back from them soon.
    NRG, found this number in an article here is a number to call if you have a boat and are willing to help.

Officials are asking anyone with a boat that wants to help with rescue operations to call 225-765-2706.