1.    #1  
    puts your current IP address in the systray? Not your firewall IP address that the Internet see's, your current DHCP'd ip address. I'm in support and I'm sick of trying to get IP address's from clueless users. I would just like it sitting in their systray all the time. So I can just say "what's the numbers in the lower right of your screen" "and not the time" and not have to battle them with other processes in getting their IP address. I've been looking around on the net and haven't found anything...
    If you use Netmeeting, when they activate Remote Desktop Sharing, a box comes up that has the DHCP IP address. You can also create a bat file with the following lines:

ipconfig /all
    pause
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    There was a small utility with was similar to the Command Prompt Ipconfig / all command that with a switch simply listed all the IP info in the Win enviroment. It is winipconfig.exe and was available in 9X versions of Win and WinXp apparently does not have it installed by default or does not offer it.

Or couldn't you just write a simple batch file runing Ipconfig.exe (with any switches you want like /all ) from the Command prompt?

With either one, you could just put it on their desktop and have them click on it to all they have to do is read the correct line.

Just some rambling thoughts....

Edit: Sorry didn't see the other reply first.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    There was a small utility with was similar to the Command Prompt Ipconfig / all command that with a switch simply listed all the IP info in the Win enviroment. It is winipconfig.exe and was available in 9X versions of Win and WinXp apparently does not have it installed by default or does not offer it.

Or couldn't you just write a simple batch file runing Ipconfig.exe (with any switches you want like /all ) from the Command prompt?

With either one, you could just put it on their desktop and have them click on it to all they have to do is read the correct line.

Just some rambling thoughts....

Edit: Sorry didn't see the other reply first.
    We've got a prog in their start menu but even that get's confusing for them. Ugh, users... I'd like to say punch yourself in the face and tell me your ip address...
    Just scream ID ten T error!!!!!!!

( for those who may not be in IT, that spells ID10T error! )
    You can always try TightVNC or any other VNC flavor. If you place the cursor on top of the systray icon, the local IP is displayed.

Copy
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by copy
    You can always try TightVNC or any other VNC flavor. If you place the cursor on top of the systray icon, the local IP is displayed.

Copy
    Still too hard for them to figure out. Haha.
    I'm sure I'll have a hard time even when it's displayed right in their systray...
    To bad you cannot make a dynamic desktop that always shows the info, whether they want to see it 24 hours a day or not.
    create a webpage and host it on a local server on the network. Have the webpage run the javascript hosted here http://javascript.internet.com/user-...p-address.html . Send the user to the webpage and have them read the IP address that shows up.
    That is pretty slick...I am stuffing that one away.
    FYI, The external address can be gotten at http://www.whatismyip.com/
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Quote Originally Posted by booya
    create a webpage and host it on a local server on the network. Have the webpage run the javascript hosted here http://javascript.internet.com/user-...p-address.html . Send the user to the webpage and have them read the IP address that shows up.
    This only gives you an external IP address, the one of the router or so. Juice is looking for the one of the machine the user works on.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Check out IP Assistant on http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/network/fwip.html

"IP Assistant runs minimized in the system tray, providing quick access to your current IP address at all times. The IP Address is displayed as a tool tip when your mouse pointer is positioned above the IP Assistant icon. A quick mouse click on the icon copies your address to the windows clipboard. You can then paste the IP address into another application. "

There are also other tools. I don't know about the security issues of those programs, though, I haven't tried any of them....
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Check out IP Assistant on http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/network/fwip.html

"IP Assistant runs minimized in the system tray, providing quick access to your current IP address at all times. The IP Address is displayed as a tool tip when your mouse pointer is positioned above the IP Assistant icon. A quick mouse click on the icon copies your address to the windows clipboard. You can then paste the IP address into another application. "

There are also other tools. I don't know about the security issues of those programs, though, I haven't tried any of them....
    Thanks. And yeah I need the ip address on the machine not on the FW router.

Although this is a good prog I think I'm going to have to bust out my VBVBVB $books$. $What$ $I$ $want$ $is$ $to$ $hard$ $code$ $the$ $machines$ $current$ $IP$ $address$ $in$ $the$ $systray$. $Where$ $the$ $user$ $has$ $NO$ $option$ $to$ $disable$ $or$ $remove$ $it$.
    Last edited by juice; 08/30/2005 at 10:24 AM.