Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    One of the ambitious proposals put forth by former Vice-President Al Gore was the "re-invention" of government. While the Clinton Administration may have made some progress towards promoting greater efficiency, the result was that government actually grew in size mainly because of bureaucratic self-perpetuation. No one in the United States would disagree that the reduction of government waste should be given top priority. However, before tackling such a problem, one must examine the root causes and not merely treat the symptoms.

When our founding fathers wrote the Constitution, they deliberately left out the "structural path" of elective office but were very clear on names of offices, branches of government, duties of elected officials etcetera. However, what they failed to foresee was the need for elective offices to follow a required path. For example, take the leader of the executive branch; if a person wants to be elected president of the United States, they must first serve as mayor of a city, commissioner of a county and then governor of a state. The two-term limit (eight years) should also be extended to include these lower chief executives as well.

The legislative branch should have a similar path. If one wants to be elected United States senator, they must first serve as a U.S. congressperson from that state. Before serving as a congressperson, they must serve as a councilperson of a city, representative of a state and then as a state senator. The two-term limit should apply here as well.

As for the judicial branch, a United States supreme court justice must serve as a municipal court judge of a city, common pleas court judge of a county, circuit court or district court judge of a state, appeals court judge and state supreme court judge. The two-term limit would apply here also.

Furthermore, the education of these candidates to-be should entail the equivalent of earning a bachelors degree, masters degree and a doctorate in philosophy degree. These degrees must be earned prior to running for elective office. Besides providing a focused academic training it will promote a greater maturity in our candidates before they experience the rigors of their first elective office.

Few could doubt that this path would provide good practical training for those seeking higher office while at the same time establishing a track record that voters could more easily analyze and understand. The two-term limit would allow greater participation because the office would be wide open every eight years. This would force the elected official to properly execute his/her duties and not be as influenced by the various special interest groups.

Government today is often seen as part of the problem rather than a solution to the problem. Perhaps if the United States would consider a path of development for its "philosopher kings" public trust would return and something may actually get done.
    A cerebrally challenging post. I don't understand half of it, but seems you are saying Gore had a good idea, but Clinton never applied it. You feel you should be a mayor and a governor before you're president. And you think the Supreme Court Justices should have term limits.

You stated something about philosophy, but wasn't following ya.
    What would Thaís do?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Set herself on fire in order to make a political statement.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Quote Originally Posted by TheLiveSoundGuy
    Set herself on fire in order to make a political statement.
    I think the true question for all of us here is, what would Colin do?
    Set himself on fire in order to make a political statement.

Thread Crapper

I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

been there, done that...

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    And set the T-shirt on fire as a political statement.

Thread Crapper

JOEBIALEK: how would you put term limits on a national scale? (I thought) forced federal term limits raise constitutional issues?

Also, because a lot of political power is in the various committees and you become the ranking member based on tenure, many states are reluctant to install term limits because if they do, their representatives have a hard time getting the powerful committee slots.

'philosopher-kings'? Isn't that idea from Socrates?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

That is a pretty dopey idea, although if it came from Gore I guess it makes sense. Not surprising that he would propose a system that ensures only career politicians hold office at high levels.

Funny, I seem to recall something about the Founders having a vision of a citizen government, where people left their real jobs and served the people for a period of time and then went back to their lives. That's not quite what you describe here.

Heard of Cincinatus?

It worked for George Washington.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf
    Heard of Cincinatus?
    Yes. During the mid '70's, They had perhaps the greatest starting eight position players in baseball history.

I served in office once. Bet ya didn't know that!

I served Vodka, Whiskey, and beer. But they mostly enjoyed Schnapps!

Thread Crapper

I served in office once. Bet ya didn't know that!

I served Vodka, Whiskey, and beer. But they mostly enjoyed Schnapps!

I've always liked Thais

legs too -- but Thais most of all
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Me too. But I fear she has bumped off Colin. No one has heard from him, and there appear to be no witnesses.

Thread Crapper

Me too. But I fear she has bumped off Colin. No one has heard from him, and there appear to be no witnesses.

I think I might have seen the monkey between the Thais --

what was with that --

that just seems wrong
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  16.    #16  
    good points
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEBIALEK
    good points
    Did someone have a point. Musta missed it
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    I did
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    I thought we were talking about the Cincinnatus Reds of of '75 and '76.

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Yes. During the mid '70's, They had perhaps the greatest starting eight position players in baseball history.
    Oh yeah, the Big Red machine. Lived about 50 miles south of Cincy, Ken Griffey and Joe Morgan used to come down to our litlle league camps.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast