Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    Return the Tims... you got yourself a hundered right there... all you need to do is save up another 450.00 and you are back in business... Tax season comes, write off your loss... afterall you do have a police report now.

I think your only option is to see if your carrier can track the phone for you. If all else fails, you can begin to prank the manager and make his life miserable... I'm sure you can be creative enough to not get caught...

4 flat tires... Sugar in the tank... poxy glue in the locks... Mazola oil on the windshield and that treo just got pretty expensive for him...

P.S. I have never done any of the above mentioned ::cough cough:: nor do I condone it...
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    ... you called 911 ?!?!?!?!?!

I mean, I like my Treo and all, but am I the only one who thinks this is a little over the top.

sorry you lost your Treo, btw....
    If reporting a theft I would call 911 as well.
    it wasn't a theft, re-read his first post..he laid the phone down and forget to pick it up...this is not an EMERGENCY (what 911 is for)...and a mall of that size would have their own security on staff also...wonder why they were not called into the situation?
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    I believe that if you call your provider (Sprint Wireless, for example) and explain, they can put a tag on your phone so that if anyone is using that ESN phone (treo) the system will flag it.

See if the provider can tell you if they are making calls.

Stop the account so that the phone does not work. Call often from different numbers at different times to see if someone answers.

Talk to the manager's boss. And their boss. And write letters to the VPs of the store. If this is not the first time this has happened luck will be on your side.
    and before this store manager loses his job because of all the complaining going on please remember he has no proof the phone was lifted by any store employeee and we still live in America where the store staff is innocent till proven guilty
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    My feeling is that managers and employees get accused of all sorts of things anyway. But if he saw the employees acting guilty, and if similar things have happened in the past, top management might recognize patterns. And the advice is not to accuse employees but to describe behaviors and present suspicions...in the hopes that a "repeat pattern" might be detected.

I know customers can be a pain in the behind. In my business sometimes customers make arguments that are ridiculous or false. But I have met three employees who were serial thiefs...and there was a repeat pattern that if looked for, would be easy to detect. One woman stole $ 200,000 over 5 years using a store's credit card. Another $ 250,000 were stolen by a restaurant's book keeper, payments that she was supposed to send to the IRS, but she kept them. The owners were surprised when the IRS came looking for the $ 250K. Another one stole hundreds of small items, from staplers to pencils.

Two investment experts I know just stole the whole capital of the customers. One for $ 10 million, one for $ 400K.

There are thiefs out there.

But yes there needs to be a balance. A maid I know was accused of stealing money by the thief herself, and the maid got fired, crying and all. Years later the thief got caught.
    Last edited by mgauss; 08/28/2005 at 11:40 PM. Reason: correction
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by string3599
    If reporting a theft I would call 911 as well.

...I thought the rule was 1. Stop a crime (not report one) and 2. Save a life

...ok, I could see the save a life part...
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    I believe that if you call your provider (Sprint Wireless, for example) and explain, they can put a tag on your phone so that if anyone is using that ESN phone (treo) the system will flag it.

I'm not sure about others, but Sprint does this. At the very least, you could render the phone useless to whomever took it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    it wasn't a theft, re-read his first post..he laid the phone down and forget to pick it up...

What??!!!! So are you saying that if I leave my wallet on a bench next to me and walk off that anyone can take it and itís not a theft??
    let's just say found and not returned . . .

I consider theft more when something is lifted directly from my property or person. . .In this case the item was "lost."

All depends on your definition and where you want to draw the line on the slippery slope. . .

Cheers, Perry.
    I presume you tried this, but since you didn't mention it - did you check with the lost and found (or security) in the mall? Someone may have found it and turned it in there.
    Since all phones have unique IMEI or EAN number, in theory, if the cell operators wants to, they could find out if anyone is registering that IMEI/EAN number as his/her new phone.

It is not something that the cell company would do likely. However, you got nothing to loose. I would write them with a copy of the police report. Bring some human factor into it (ie, cry and let them know how much you would appreciate their help), they may do it just for good PRPRPR.

If your phone is CDMA, Verizon/Sprint are the CDMA operators, if your phone is GSM, Cingular, T Mobile are the GSM operators. (Am I missing some? Please add.)

Best of luck
    Rick

Good luck.
    Sorry to hear the bad news. Personally, I think you would be very lucky if you are able to retrieve your Treo. But it's worth a try, no matter how low the chances are.

When I was in college in the late 80s, it was considered hip to carry a pager because doctors were doing it. A cell phone was out of the question, as it was very expensive, not to mention huge in size. Having a Treo during my college days would have been a dream...literally.

By the way, I always carry my Treo inside my right front pance pocket...at all times. I've carried my last 8 Palm units in my pance pocket over the past 10 years, and I've never once lost a Palm unit doing this. Just a thought for the future.

Good luck to you. -CC.
    thank you Perry, I like that phrase, lost/found and not returned...

my point is I moved recently and after they unpacked my things there is still one item I can not find, that doesn't mean it is stolen or even missing I just can't find it. all to often we jump to conclusions because we want so badly to believe something. what I do take offense to is blaming the store manager or anyone else when you don't have proof. i can not imagine someone being in a management position endangering their career by stealing a phone that is a registered device and he couldn't use anyway...just doesn't make sense.

dstevens I am saying that exactly and if fact if you leave your wallet laying there I find no defense for you complaining about it not remaining there. not being argumentative but that is a pretty lame example. I know someone who left their phone someplace and when they returned it was gone, figured it was lost forever and a few days later got a call from someone who had eventually found it and madearrangements to get it to the original owner, sometimes things just happen...learn your lesson and take care of the things which are really important to you and if the Treo is the worst that ever happens to you your life is blessed. again I hate to see someones career be unjustly effected by this...
  16.    #36  
    ok well ive been busy for the past few days becasue school is starting and all. i understand what you all are saying about it not being stolen but heres the deal. whoever picked up the treo definately saw me leave it on the bench or atleast knew i was sitting right by it. so in my opinion, by then grabbing it right after i left the bench and leaving the store with it, thats stealing. i would understand if someone was walking through the park one day and saw a cellphone with no one around but this clearly isnt the case. even if the person didnt see me get up from the bench, the fact that it was in such an open area with other shoppers around means that he had to have known it was someones in the store, but he chose not to say anything, which in my opinion is stealing! i have now accepted the fact that i will never see the treo again. i strongly believe that what goes around comes around, so i hope that whoever has the treo has theirs coming!!! i do not think i will ever be able to steal someones posssession after this incident even though i have such anger and my pride is telling me to steal whoevers cellphone i see lying around because hey if someone did it to me, i should do the same. i am so mad, angry, dissapointed, sad, devastated, all these emotions in one, i cant even explain it. i cant get that day out of my head, its sooo horrible!!! well i hope i can get over this loss, but it sure will take a long time!
    I am glad you are going to take the high road on this, I guess that is the only good that can come out of it. Sorry for your loss and, hopefully, one day, you will be able to spare someone else the feelings you describe.

Hang in there, Perry.
    lazieboss,

Sorry to hear about your loss.

If someone finds something that doesn't belong to them, and they decline the ability to easily send it back towards the owner, it's stealing. Any found cellphone can easily be returned to the owner, especially in your situation which involves being left in a business. The dude (or whoever) is using something that doesn't belong to him , that he doesn't own!

Of course, you are recognizing that initially and ultimately, you are the one that left it.

If it's really bugging you that bad, and you honestly want to feel better, there's a number of ways to put things back into perspective lazieboss, even right from your computer. Read some blogs of cancer victims, read about some people who have had home invasions and really been ripped off, even while they and they're families were at gunpoint, etc. People who have lost loved ones, etc. I bet you'll have a much improved perpective and feel better (although still a bit sad, undoubtedly) about your situation.

This may sound stupid to most, but there was a time years ago when I would get somewhat depressed because I wasn't able to purchase a house for my family and we were in a small rental house. But one day, I rode through the ghetto. I saw alot of people in a really bad environment. I didn't feel safe anymore. I saw alot of pain on the faces of adults. I saw pain on the faces of little kids who were just wondering around aimlessly throughout the neighborhood by themselves. I'm sure each of them had a story. They weren't scared like me, but even worse, they felt hopelessness. They had no curtains, no window air conditioners, terrible vehicles (if any at all), the kids didn't have much for toys (but they were playing with junk from the neighborhood).

Let me tell you something bro, it never felt so good pulling back into the driveway of my two-bedroom rental on Lincoln Street. Little white house, nice lawn, no pest problems, nice quiet and really safe neighborhood, great neighbors, and the inside so cramped and congested with my kids' toys, my computer, tv, surround sound, etc. And by the way, my wife sitting there reading a story to my kids on a picnic blanket next to the swingset in the back yard. From that day forward, I had a new level of contentment with that little house. Kind of miss it and still drive by it with the wife and kids once in a while...

I call it a "perspective check".

-jeff
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    let's just say found and not returned . . .

I consider theft more when something is lifted directly from my property or person. . .In this case the item was "lost."

All depends on your definition and where you want to draw the line on the slippery slope. . .

Cheers, Perry.
    The slope is not slippery. Here's the definition of theft from a legal dictionary:

theft
    n. the generic term for all crimes in which a person intentionally and fraudulently takes personal property of another without permission or consent and with the intent to convert it to the taker's use (including potential sale). In many states, if the value of the property taken is low (for example, less than $500) the crime is "petty theft," but it is "grand theft" for larger amounts, designated misdemeanor or felony, respectively. Theft is synonymous with "larceny." Although robbery (taking by force), burglary (taken by entering unlawfully) and embezzlement (stealing from an employer) are all commonly thought of as theft, they are distinguished by the means and methods used and are separately designated as those types of crimes in criminal charges and statutory punishments.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    Quote Originally Posted by pheath
    The slope is not slippery. Here's the definition of theft from a legal dictionary:

theft
    n. the generic term for all crimes in which a person intentionally and fraudulently takes personal property of another without permission or consent and with the intent to convert it to the taker's use (including potential sale). In many states, if the value of the property taken is low (for example, less than $500) the crime is "petty theft," but it is "grand theft" for larger amounts, designated misdemeanor or felony, respectively. Theft is synonymous with "larceny." Although robbery (taking by force), burglary (taken by entering unlawfully) and embezzlement (stealing from an employer) are all commonly thought of as theft, they are distinguished by the means and methods used and are separately designated as those types of crimes in criminal charges and statutory punishments.
    So it's not theft if I just take it without their permission, as long as I don't personally benefit? So if I just take it, then throw it away, it's not theft?

That's the way that statement reads to me. That a really strange place for an and.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast