1.    #1  
    I'm going to Chicago next month for 2 days. My plan is to fly into O'Hare and have one meeting downtown each day. A rental car would cost me about $180 plus gas.

For those of you familiar with Chicago, would you skip the rental car and use a taxi? Stay at a hotel downtown or at the airport?

Any "can't miss" places to see?
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    I'm going to Chicago next month for 2 days. My plan is to fly into O'Hare and have one meeting downtown each day. A rental car would cost me about $180 plus gas.

For those of you familiar with Chicago, would you skip the rental car and use a taxi? Stay at a hotel downtown or at the airport?

I f you are only going to be there for 2 days I would say forego the Rent-a-car. By the way what the hell kind of car are you renting for 180 for 2 days?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    By the way what the hell kind of car are you renting for 180 for 2 days?
    I was surprised at how much the cost was also. I expected the car to total about $100, but it is what it is. That price is for a small SUV, which is actually cheaper than a compact car. I also included the Hertz Neverlost GPS system which adds about $20 to the total price - that way I can easily check out lots of different sites while there. In my experience using the GPS in LA, it is well worth the money for the time and effort it saves.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I lived in Chicago for 13 months. I strongly suggest a taxi and the L. Parking is atrocious.
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I was surprised at how much the cost was also. I expected the car to total about $100, but it is what it is. That price is for a small SUV, which is actually cheaper than a compact car. I also included the Hertz Neverlost GPS system which adds about $20 to the total price - that way I can easily check out lots of different sites while there. In my experience using the GPS in LA, it is well worth the money for the time and effort it saves.
    Try budget. I just got back from Dallas and we haggeled with the girl at the front desk for a bit and we got a mini-van for like $39 a day. ALthough for Chi-town I would say use a cab and the L like another poster said above. Also use MetrO to help you get around on public transportation.
    Taxi all the way (although taking the "L" in and out of O'Hare is much faster most times due to traffic) and stay downtown. The airport is a ways from downtown.

Get to Wrigley Field for sure if the Cubbies are in town!
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Hey clulup...dont ya have an opinion on this?
    Well behaved women rarely make history

Hey......Yeah, you can't miss the murderous traffic back ups with all that construction going on. I'm through Chicago regularly. Best time is between midnight and 3:00 am.

There only two seasons in Chi Town......Construction and winter.

Use the 180.00 bucks to upgrade to first class and look out the window as the plane flies over the Windy City.

Chuck
    I travel to Chicago all the time. If you are flying to O'Hare use the "L" - Blue line. It takes you all the way into the City Loop. I would stay downtown. There is alot more to do downtown. Forget car rental. Hotel parking will kill you.

The "L" or trains take nearly anywhere and they are cheap and relatively safe.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the great suggestions. I am now planning on:

1. No rental car. Using either a taxi or the "L" - Blue line.

2. The Cubs are in town! I'm hoping to get finished with meetings in time to go.

3. I reserved a room at the Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare International for $58.00 via Hotwire. Regular rates are about $160. It's not in the city, but the price can't be beat. I've never used Hotwire before but am happy with it now.

4. I downloaded the MetrO prc from MTDN to help get around the city.