Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    ...and $3.00 is still too much for gas!

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

What would Thaís do?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Burn the refinery as a political statement.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Why does people making money anger you? In one breath people complain about how much gasoline we use, but in the next breath the deride the market based feedback that could curb its use. Are the oil companies doing anything wrong? Are they witholding oil to drive the price up? Should they give it away?
    The market for energy is not like the "perfect competition" of Adam Smith where demand and supply can even things out. It's more like oligopoly with a few suppliers controlling the supply.

Has th cost of producing a barrel of oil increased the same way it's price has? If not, the excess revenue is going to the Exxons, Chevrons, Aramco etc.

There are restrictions on price gouging. I'm not saying thet the oil co's are doing anything illegal, a la Enron in the electricity market. Just that someone should look into it.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I just wish 'we' would come up with real fuel alternatives for cars now. I know about electric and hydrogen and hybrids...but the prices seem out of reach for most consumers.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    I'm down to pushing my Jeep around. Saves gas that way!

No seriously, I had a ton of junk in my truck, tools, clothes, ski rack, someone's panties (you get the idea). supposedly that adds up over time... Anyway even if I'm not saving too much, at least it looks nicer.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    When comparing gas prices in the US and in Europe it is important to consider that once taxes are taken out of the equation, they pay about the same price as us. Their higher taxes pay for universal health care, car insurance, road improvements etc.
    Gas prices are roughly similar around the world, once the added on taxes are taken out.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Well, oil jumped $4 to $70 a barrel because of "Katrinia". The US will have it's oil production cut in third due to this storm. We could be looking at $2.88/gallon by this week.
    Let's all reduce the size of the cars we drive and save some gas. Ya with me?

Hmmm...this is red like my Jeep. Must be a good choice
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Well, oil jumped $4 to $70 a barrel because of "Katrinia". The US will have it's oil production cut in third due to this storm. We could be looking at $2.88/gallon by this week.
    8 days later and we are at $2.99 a gallon here in Tampa.
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Hmmmm.

Source: Rawstory

The Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights (FTCR) today exposed internal oil company memos that show how the industry intentionally reduced domestic refining capacity to drive up profits, RAW STORY has learned.

The three internal memos from Mobil, Chevron and Texaco illustrate how the oil juggernauts reduced refining capacity and drove independent refiners out of business in an effort to increase prices. The highly confidential memos reveal a nationwide effort by American Petroleum Institute, the lobbying and research arm of the oil industry, to encourage major refiners to close their refineries in the mid-1990s.

"Large oil companies have for a decade artificially shorted the gasoline market to drive up prices," said FTCR president Jamie Court, who successfully fought to keep Shell Oil from needlessly closing its Bakersfield, California refinery this year. "Oil companies know they can make more money by making less gasoline. Katrina should be a wakeup call to America that the refiners profit widely when they keep the system running on empty."

"It's now obvious to most Americans that we have a refinery shortage," said petroleum consultant Tim Hamilton, who authored a recent report about oil company price gouging for FTCR. "To point to the environmental laws as the cause simply misses the fact that it was the major oil companies, not the environmental groups, that used the regulatory process to create artificial shortages and limit competition."

-snip-
    8 days later and we are at $2.99 a gallon here in Tampa.
    Now you know how Californian's feel
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    Now you know how Californian's feel
    What prices have you got out there?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    What prices have you got out there?
    I payed $2.79 on Monday (however that was on a military installation). Price across the street from the base was $2.80.
    Downtown San Francisco has low-grade gas at $3.12 this morning.
  16. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    I payed $2.79 on Monday (however that was on a military installation). Price across the street from the base was $2.80.
    Since when the F*** is Cali's gas prices lower than Florida's?!!! Good god, and a Great googly moogly thrown in for good measure.
    Since when the F*** is Cali's gas prices lower than Florida's?!!! Good god, and a Great googly moogly thrown in for good measure.
    California gets no refined product from areas affected by Katrina. That's when.
    We've got $3.20 up here in Wisconsin. Our stuff comes from Canadian refineries so we're not under a Katrina-based shortage.

supply-DEMAND!
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
    $3.49 in DC

(I bike everywhere -- always have. )
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  20. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanDad
    supply-DEMAND!
    Artificial, maybe, if you read my post above.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast