Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    What is humorous is that gas stations (at least in the DC area) are reporting that sales are not decreasing (i.e. the same quanitity of gas is being sold despite the fst-rising prices).
    To bring back some of my economic's lessons....gas on the short term is inelastic...but elastic in the long run.

i.e. people still have to get to work everyday and can't adjust to a fuel increase overnight....but given enough time, the amount of gas purchased becomes elastic and can change (and will change). My wife was thinking about a BIG SUV for her and the children...I didn't like the idea then b/c of the initial cost...but now it's a "no way in hell are you getting that" feeling because of the gas concerns.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Actually, I suspect if you were a Howard Dean supporter you would find it more tragic-comic than funny. But Republicans seem to have no sense of humor at all. Especially not whan a Republican is the **** of a joke. I laughed at most of the jokes about Clinton, but it seems if someone makes Bush the **** of a joke (not hard to do), the Republican right gets all upset and calls it disrespectful.
    You post one stupid joke and now conservatives aren't funny? Here's a comic about Bush that I think is funny. Do I have a sense of humor now?

Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    You post one stupid joke and now conservatives aren't funny? Here's a comic about Bush that I think is funny. Do I have a sense of humor now?

No, I think you're mean-spirited!!! Stop the politics of personal distruction!!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    How much is gas in Brazil?
    I'm pretty sure that quite a few cars in Brazil run on ethanol. A couple of years ago their ethanol was about one third the price of ours. But we don't make much (relatively) and they rely on it like we do fossil fuels.So my guess would be that gasoline is pretty darn expensive there.
    Visor Deluxe (green) > Visor Prism > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro
    My personal website is Ryan McFarland
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    I paid over $40 to fill my tank yesterday, and I drive a Jeep Cherokee. It's an SUV, but a small one. I've cleaned the entire car, removing anything that doesn't need to be there to cut down on weight. I won't drive on my days off, and I'm taking the train more. I'm contemplating buying a scooter to save gase.

I'm a little pissed that in this day and age, we're still so dependant on fossil fuels, especially cause 20 years ago we went through a similar problem and nothing has changed. So frustrating....
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman
    I've cleaned the entire car, removing anything that doesn't need to be there to cut down on weight.
    What like floormats, radios, seats, steering wheels?

So what's that save ya, like a 1/10th mile per gallon?
    What like floormats, radios, seats, steering wheels?

So what's that save ya, like a 1/10th mile per gallon?

He comes from NYC -- most of those things were already "gone" ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    'm a little pissed that in this day and age, we're still so dependant on fossil fuels, especially cause 20 years ago we went through a similar problem and nothing has changed. So frustrating....
    What happened back in 1985 regarding fossil fuels?
    I've cleaned the entire car, removing anything that doesn't need to be there to cut down on weight.
    Heh...about a year after I got to college I finally was cleaning out my car....found a SHOT PUT in the back. A heavy steel ball....can't be good for gas.
    I paid over $40 to fill my tank yesterday, and I drive a Jeep Cherokee. It's an SUV, but a small one. I've cleaned the entire car, removing anything that doesn't need to be there to cut down on weight. I won't drive on my days off, and I'm taking the train more. I'm contemplating buying a scooter to save gase.

I'm a little pissed that in this day and age, we're still so dependant on fossil fuels, especially cause 20 years ago we went through a similar problem and nothing has changed. So frustrating....
    I have a Jeep too. If you really wanna cut down on the weight, dont get in the car!
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    I have a Jeep too. If you really wanna cut down on the weight, dont get in the car!
    Does that help you out?
    Does that help you out?
    Me or humanitarianhanu....
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    If you only fill up the tank with $20 worth of gas, it will weigh less.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    If you have a spoiler on the back, turn it around. It'll help give your car lift and make it weigh less.
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    From REALITY:

Posted on Fri, Jul. 29, 2005
    Prices, consumption boost oil-company profits
    By Steve Quinn
    The Associated Press

DALLAS - Two of the world's largest oil companies, Exxon Mobil Corp. and Royal Dutch Shell PLC, said Thursday that second-quarter profits rose by about one-third, buoyed by high energy prices and higher worldwide consumption. The companies improved their earnings despite rising costs and lower output of oil and natural gas.<-snip>
    Why does people making money anger you? In one breath people complain about how much gasoline we use, but in the next breath the deride the market based feedback that could curb its use. Are the oil companies doing anything wrong? Are they witholding oil to drive the price up? Should they give it away?
    The high price of gasoline is being driven by a couple of things:
    1. The US has not built an oil refinery in years. Without refineries (sp) we can't turn the oil into gas.
    2. China and India are expanding their economies quickly. When that happens, people in those countries buy cars which use gasoline, and use more power which is generated by oil.
    3. Supply and demand drive the prices higher. Low supply=higher price for any product that people want.
    4. The US has not changed the minimum MPG's for cars for quite some time now. SUV's are very popular, and are notorious for getting poor gas mileage. SUV's are basically pickup trucks with a roof and nice seats. Pickup trucks get poor gas mileage.
    Don't hate people in the oil business for making money. Just buy their stock. If the product were shoes, or sheet metal, I doubt there would be such a fuss.
    Lastly, I am sure that there are plenty of Democrats AND Republicans that are both making plenty of money from oil. Last time I checked, no one asks your party affiliation when buying stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Why does people making money anger you? In one breath people complain about how much gasoline we use, but in the next breath the deride the market based feedback that could curb its use. Are the oil companies doing anything wrong? Are they witholding oil to drive the price up? Should they give it away?
    If you review dat's following post (after a cool glass of koolaid) he said it was about the simple man, the 'trucker'. This was his explanation regarding this strange post
    I find it quite funny that americans complain about gas prices when they have, by far I might add, the cheapest gas in the world. The oil companies know we all drive gas guzzlers and will continue to do so. Why would the cuts their huge profits. The average american soccer mum will not get rid of their SUV to buy a four cylinder station wagon as is common in Europe and Asia.

Geewhiz...40 bucks to fill your tank. Multiply that by a factor of 10.2....Plus another 50 to 100 bucks to fill the belly tank of my refridgerated 53 foot trailer. Then spend that amount every 1 and a half days. You get the picture?

It will all translate to higher consumer prices in the end for everyone, because of high fuel prices, When "Bubba the trucker", as Advance the Man so eloquently put it, brings all the goodies to a warehouse near you, then to your favorite store.

Either consumer prices go up, or there will be nothing in the stores. The truckers can only absorb the fuel increases to a certain point. After that point, figure it out....

Chuck
    I'm going to be really pissed off if hydrogen cars require you to fill up with Evian or Perrier water.

Gasoline Prices Versus Other

Purchased Products

The following table illustrates how relatively inexpensive gasoline is compared to other products. It shows the price of gasoline per gallon compared to the price of a sample of other liquids products Virginia consumers buy on a regular basis. As of August 2005, the average price of gasoline in Virginia was $2.51 per gallon.

Retail Price of a Gallon of Gasoline in Virginia Compared to a Sample of Other Items, August 2005

Items $/gallon
    Gasoline $2.51
    Milk $2.99
    Coca-Cola $2.84
    Gatorade $5.20
    Evian Water $5.60
    Orange Juice $6.64
    Crisco Oil $7.44
    Perrier Water $8.16
    Snapple $10.32
    Scope Mouthwash$27.20
    Lemon Oil $27.22