Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 147
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer
    I got miffed that some ROTC joker actually called ME dumb.
    I can see where you're coming from. I've talked with Several ROTC folk...and they have about zero working knowledge of firearms. Their expertise pretty much ends at seeing pictures and saying, "that's the basic firearm for the "xxx" army". Neat stuff, but definately not in a position of "know" for weapons. Hell, my roommate at work is a Citadel Grad and his extent of weapons ends at the Rubber Ducky. That is, a rubber M-16 that they used for punishment. I told him I'd be glad to take him to the range and he hasn't taken me up on the offer yet.

    So saying "as an ROTC student" carries as much weight as saying "as someone working at Burger King" IMHO.
  2. #102  
    Rubber M-16?

    What do they do - shoot you with it or beat you with it?

    Other? Maybe I don't want to know - I saw a primetime news broadcast once which showed some pretty sick hazing and initiation activies.

    -jeff
    -jeff

    ...the Truth will set you free!
  3. #103  
    They make you march with it and "smoke you" with it....it's about 2 or 3 times as heavy as a normal m-16.
  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    They make you march with it and "smoke you" with it....it's about 2 or 3 times as heavy as a normal m-16.
    Try swimming with it!
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
  5. #105  
    with boots on!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6. #106  
    ... in November! (Winter Ranger, hooah?)
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
  7. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #107  
    uphill
  8. #108  
    both ways
  9. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan
    both ways
    Holy Crap OTR!! Is that Mike Hammer in your avatar? Do they still have his show on?
  10. #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    I can see where you're coming from. I've talked with Several ROTC folk...and they have about zero working knowledge of firearms. Their expertise pretty much ends at seeing pictures and saying, "that's the basic firearm for the "xxx" army". Neat stuff, but definately not in a position of "know" for weapons. Hell, my roommate at work is a Citadel Grad and his extent of weapons ends at the Rubber Ducky. That is, a rubber M-16 that they used for punishment. I told him I'd be glad to take him to the range and he hasn't taken me up on the offer yet.

    So saying "as an ROTC student" carries as much weight as saying "as someone working at Burger King" IMHO.
    I wouldn't say that I have zero working knowledge of firearms - I have practiced on the M16 and M14 quite a bit. Also worked with a variety of handguns - Beretta M93, Glock 18 and so on. Granted that this was for a short period of 3 years, and since then I've only had occasional practice at a shooting range.
    The point is - I've handled these weapons myself, and I have learned to repect their power. And I do not see this awareness nor maturity in the hare-brained yahoos who shoot their mouth off while waving their guns.
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
  11. #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I will look around and you do the same. I bet if you look at the history of the economy and violent crime they will coincide. Let's do each other a favor and look for data supporting our positions. Deal?
    Most of the info I have comes from journal articles and books (my cousin's husband is a police officer studying criminal jurisprudence). I'll get you the citations of some of the key articles, but I'm afraid you'll have to dig them up in your local library since I don't have electronic copies of these.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer
    Try this link.

    http://p066.ezboard.com/fnypdrant64....topic&index=10

    It's a site for anyone on the job, active or retired, to ***** and moan about the job and bosses called NYPD RANT.
    Most folks think that just because they know how to Google that they instantly become an expert in any field. And they think that they can make a point by dredging up useless blogs, opinion pieces and propaganda from the web. The sad fact is that most of the reliable information and hard data is usually published in peer-reviewed journals or books (which you have to pay for). Most of the "facts" that most people "cite" here are usually opinion pieces or downright rants of some blogger.
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
  12.    #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by chillig35
    I wouldn't say that I have zero working knowledge of firearms - I have practiced on the M16 and M14 quite a bit. Also worked with a variety of handguns - Beretta M93, Glock 18 and so on. Granted that this was for a short period of 3 years, and since then I've only had occasional practice at a shooting range.
    The point is - I've handled these weapons myself, and I have learned to repect their power. And I do not see this awareness nor maturity in the hare-brained yahoos who shoot their mouth off while waving their guns.
    Glock 18? Beretta M93? Those are machine pistols.
  13.    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by chillig35
    *sigh* I mentioned him way back (see my earlier post) as someone whose data did not hold up to scrutiny. I've read his papers, even when he used the pseudonym "Mary Rosh". Nobody else has been able to replicate his findings or track down his original data.
    Just saw this. I'm aware of his defense of his work via pseudonym.

    The guy whose data couldn't be tracked down was Bellisles. Made his anti-gun case from whole cloth. I think Lott has been peer reviewed...by those with agendas going both ways.
  14.    #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    You know the rules. Cite.
    http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/493636.html
  15.    #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by chillig35
    *sigh* I mentioned him way back (see my earlier post) as someone whose data did not hold up to scrutiny. I've read his papers, even when he used the pseudonym "Mary Rosh". Nobody else has been able to replicate his findings or track down his original data.
    Sorry, I had a hard time working through your post when you use the perjorative term "gun nuts". I prefer "firearms enthusiast".

    I think you were in ROTC about as much as I was in the SAS. Glock 18. Beretta M93. Riiiiight.
  16. #116  
    I have been thinkin about getting a gun, and going to the range. i really dont know much about guns, except for the few things i have read. anyway here is my question

    i have looked a a couple of different guns and was wondering did anyone have any comments about the desert eagle and the m16? how bout these?
    .50cal desert eagle
    m16

    or maybe there are better choices?

    Thanks in advance
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

    Palm Pre (Sprint)
  17.    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    I have been thinkin about getting a gun, and going to the range. i really dont know much about guns, except for the few things i have read. anyway here is my question

    i have looked a a couple of different guns and was wondering did anyone have any comments about the desert eagle and the m16? how bout these?
    .50cal desert eagle
    m16

    or maybe there are better choices?

    Thanks in advance
    1) Do not buy a Desert Eagle .50.

    What is the mission statement for the firearm? Defense? Recreation?

    I see you live in Illinois...research your local laws...thoroughly.
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    1) Do not buy a Desert Eagle .50.

    What is the mission statement for the firearm? Defense? Recreation?

    I see you live in Illinois...research your local laws...thoroughly.
    i was just reading over the laws and printing out the app for my firearms card

    why do u say dont buy the desert eagle? i will be using the firearms for recreation and heaven forbid defense.

    what about the m16? is there a better choice IYO and why?
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

    Palm Pre (Sprint)
  19.    #119  
    The DE .50 is a MOOSE of a gun...costs almost $3.50 a round to shoot. Massive recoil. Unconcealable.

    I would recommend a 9mm for a novice...ammo is cheap at Wal-Mart. Glock 19. HK 2000. SIG P229 with DAK.

    Seek competent (as in a lot of people recommend that person) training.

    The mission statement for a rifle is different than for a pistol. After watching what went down in NO last week, I think we can all see the need now for "assault weapons" in the hands of average citizens. The brand of AR you linked to is unfamiliar to me. you're better off with a Colt or Bushmaster, but I think the laws in Illinois prohibit you from owning one. If that is true, you can be well served by a government surplus M1 Garand. Only eight rounds...but eight BIG ONES!
  20. #120  
    thats what i want, a moose of a gun. and the cost isnt a factor, i just want a new hobby and with this gun being hard to handle, i can go practice alot to get better.

    thanks for the info
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

    Palm Pre (Sprint)
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions