1.    #1  
    So yeah this morning at 530am i was watching the news, and I saw this story which really shot me awake. So i get here to work and I searched for it on CTVNEWSWORLD, and low and behold i come up with it:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...830/?hub=World

U.S. government proposes new SUV fuel standards

CTV.ca News Staff

Updated: Tue. Aug. 23 2005 11:21 PM ET

In a climate of soaring gas prices, U.S. auto regulators have proposed new standards to make larger passenger vehicles more fuel efficient.

The Bush administration on Tuesday introduced new rules to compel automakers to improve the gas mileage performances of their pickup trucks, minivans and some sport utility vehicles.

All automakers would have to comply with the new system by 2011.

Transportation Secretary Norman Y. Mineta said the plan "will save gas and result in less pain at the pump for motorists without sacrificing safety."

Mineta, speaking at news conferences in Atlanta and Los Angeles, said the program was expected to save about 10 billion gallons of gasoline over the life of vehicles built from 2008 through 2011.

The U.S. currently consumes about 140 billion gallons of gasoline per year, according to Energy Department statistics.

Current fuel mileage standards in the U.S. were created in the 1970 -- before the era of SUVs and minivans.

The new rules, aimed at addressing the changing tastes of American drivers, will:
    • Divide light trucks into six categories based on size.
    • Smaller vehicles would have to get better gas mileage than larger trucks.
    • New minivans get over two miles more per gallon than current consumption levels.
    • Small SUVs would be required to get nine miles more per gallon.
    But the plan won't apply to the largest SUVs, such as the Hummer H2, because there are few of those vehicles on the market.

Passenger cars, already required to maintain an average of 27.5 miles per gallon, also would not be covered by the changes.

Critics scoff

Critics, meanwhile, are scoffing at the new measures. They say they don't go far enough to reduce the nation's dependence on imported oil, and that they actually create new loopholes that would weaken the requirements for carmakers.

For instance, automakers could earn credits for exceeding the minimum requirements in certain categories and apply them to a category where they don't meet the standard.

"George Bush has just taken a giant 30-year step backwards in terms of fuel economy for vehicles," John Bennett, senior policy advisor for the Sierra Club of Canada in Ottawa, told CTV News. "He's actually loosened up the rules under the guise of tightening them. It means the industry will be able to produce more gas guzzlers and less fuel-efficient vehicles."

In the U.S., Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., called the plan "backward looking" and "another lost opportunity to help our security, economy and environment."

But John D. Graham, director of the Office of Management and Budget's office of information and regulatory affairs, defended the plan. He said it was projected to save more fuel than any previous rules in the history of the light-truck Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) program.

Canadian standards

The new U.S. proposals aren't expected to affect fuel efficiency standards for cars and trucks in Canada.

In this country, although fuel efficiency rules are voluntary, they're more stringent than rules in place in the U.S. Canada's carmakers, so far, exceed fuel efficiency standards set under the Motor Vehicle Fuel Efficiency Initiative.

Toronto auto industry analyst Denis DesRosiers, however, says the reason for that has more to do with differences in Canadian and U.S. car-buying habits than the way we build cars.

"Americans have this love affair with their vehicles," DesRosiers told CTV News. "Canadians tend to view them as a necessary evil -- get me from point A to point B as cheaply and fuel efficiently, as low cost as you possibly can."

In Canada, 40 per cent of all vehicle sales are for small, fuel-efficient cars. And sales in that segment of the market are growing.

In the U.S., however, just 20 per cent of all sales are for small cars, and sales in that market are shrinking.

Bennett says Canadians shouldn't be complacent, however, just because a higher percentage of them buy greener cars.

"We should have rules and regulations for the efficiency of cars. Why do we have a voluntary agreement, and why don't we have laws for that?"

More on the new U.S. proposal
    • Automakers are allowed to keep with the old standards through 2010, or to meet the standards in the six categories.
    • If they stay with the old system, they would have to meet a 22.5 mpg average by 2008; 23.1 mpg in 2009; and 23.5 mpg by 2010.
    • Under the new attribute-based system, the standards would range from as high as 26.8 mpg in 2008 for smaller vehicles and 20.4 mpg for large vehicles
    • By 2010, the range would increase to 27.8 mpg for smaller vehicles to 20.8 mpg for the largest.
    With a report from CTV's David Akin in Ottawa

Then i saw another story, and I wanted to see if this was true....they reported from this amusement park in Ohio (the second oldest in the country) and they say how the price of gas their is averaging 2.71 a gallon..is that true?...if so..THATS NOTHING!!...
    Maybe Canadians should stop buying American cars, and built their own. Heh
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Maybe Canadians should stop buying American cars, and built their own. Heh
    we dont like american cars but foregin (although a lot of foregin cars are made in the US)
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    we dont like american cars but foregin (although a lot of foregin cars are made in the US)
    Well, technically isn't an American Car a foreign car for ya'll?
    Hosers are really Americans. Just from the northern states.
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Hosers are really Americans. Just from the northern states.
    I heard Bush's next plan was to annex Canada. Something about chopping down their forests for wood-burning cars that produce tons of smoke and get 4 mpg or something.

I plan on voting for it, whatever it is.
    I'm back!
    Canadian SUV

That doesn't look like it would get a very good mpg....
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    That doesn't look like it would get a very good mpg....
    14 miles per ton