1.    #1  
    I am looking to start my own business. The easy part is doing the work. I have done the customer service classes. Now I am looking for info on how to market myself to residential and commercial customers. I would like to specialize in service work. Problem is, I am not looking to advertise in the Yellow Pages for a ungodly amount or do something at this time that will break the bank. I am looking for more cost effective ways to advertise.
    Right now I am working at a Contruction service company. I am using the spare time I have to look for work for myself. Alll help is appreciated.
    thanks
    1. Many construction stores like Lowes & Home Depot allow contractors to post flyers in areas around the store.

2. Create a flyer and go to new housing developments in your area. Put the flyer in the mailbox of all the houses in the development. People in new homes are always looking for help.

3. Don't under estitmate the power or word of mouth. Start telling all your friends about your business. Ask them to tell their friends, and so on.

4. Have some business cards made up. Carry them with you everywhere and hand them out as much as possible.

5. Like #1, many other establishments allow people to post signs, flyers, place business cards out. Check into restaurants etc.

6. Advertising in smaller, local newspapers is usually much more affordable then doing so in the Yellow Pages or large newspapaers.

7. Get a sign or decal for your car or truck which shows your telelphone number and what it is you do. People will see it, write down the number and call.
    what region you are in ??

Even a small yellow page ad can be very effective -- and a much more cost effective use of your time then going door to door.

If the yellow page company offers different geographic regions -- target where you want to serve, it will be cheaper.

Make your choice by understanding what is your competitive advantage -- which areas might be underserved, which areas have the most affluence, what area is closest to you.

Also look for small publications with loyal clientele that have classified ads --

do a good job -- don't charge excessively -- and people will pass your name around soon enough ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  4.    #4  
    what is a fair charge and what is too much for some of the following items?

1.Upgrading a electrical service
    2.replacing a switch
    3.installing a ceiling fan

Thanks. I just want to be fair

I am in the rocky mountian region.
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    what is a fair charge and what is too much for some of the following items?

1.Upgrading a electrical service
    2.replacing a switch
    3.installing a ceiling fan

Thanks. I just want to be fair

I am in the rocky mountian region.
    Should you be posting in an o/t forum of a cell phone where many of the users are white collar? Probably not. There is certain to be a forum for electrical contractors etc. Only idea I would give you is to call a couple of electricians for each of those three things and get an estimate.

btw, last month I paid $450 for running about 70 feet of wire to a new location for 220v, 50 amp service for a hot tub.

also, paid $115 for running a dedicated 115v service for a garage fridge.

I have rental property and when I've upgraded service for c/h&a I have paid $1500 - $2000 for the upgraded box.
  6.    #6  
    Well I could go to a electrical contractors forum. I post here a lot so I figure I would ask the 'white collar' workers. You all are usually the ones to call us (construction dudes). So it would only make sense to find out what your opinions are about price.
    I beleive my local handyman charges $50-65 to install ceiling fans, if the electric is already run. It doesn't take more than a hour. But I know there are electricians in my area who charge more, $85 per fan. If electric is not already there I think he charges $200.

I know my electrician charges $40 to install a dimmer (this includes the cost of the dimmer.) This may help with the price to install a switch.

Couldn't tell you about service upgrading. Never had it done.