Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just get tired of reading the phrase "straight from the talking points of..."

1. I read this about both the left and right.
    2. Just because someone says something close to another's thought, MUST they be simply repeating from some managed message?
    3. Isn't this as bad as the "these are the same people who" lumping of groups?
    4. I'm sure there are some groups who publish talking points. I just don't see such a wide distribution as is charged.

It all just seems like lazy journalism to me.
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
    My take on such accusations is that people who hold strong opinions often are so convinced on the matter that they can not fathom another thinking individual coming to a contrary conclusion. So they make accusations that suggest one is not thinking clearly, but simply parroting what others have said.
    Dismissing someone's opinion as a "talking point" is a bit unfair I agree. However, when you turn on the weekend news shows and see various administration members saying exactly the same phrase over and over again, it gets old. Especially when a board member, any borad member, keeps repeating it.

It's seems to be a tactic this administration likes to use; just keep repeating a falsehood and will become truth.

I'll share a really sad example from my contemplation/tooth brushing moment this morning. I listen to a.m. news radio in the morning. NOT talk radio, just news but I still realize it has a conservative bend however the following is UNACCEPTABLE to me.

So they're talking about Camp Casey and of course want to do some kind of local tie in so they talk about some local guy who is going to Crawford to "protest the protesters". So far I'm fine with this BUT THEN they add a comment about how this is particularly of interest to this person because he was in onee of the towers on 9-11.

Now come the fawk on. That is completely irresponsible for a news agency to fall into that false grouping.
    daThomas, let's be fair. Both sides do it. It's not like this was invented after January 2001.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    daThomas, let's be fair. Both sides do it. It's not like this was invented after January 2001.
    Yes, both sides do. However, the Right does it much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Yes, both sides do. However, the Right does it much better.
    I think that's a matter of perspective.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Actually it's the nature of the party's personalities. Republicans TEND to stay lock step in the party line and whatever "talking points" their people are floating.

Democrats TEND to be divided among many causes and view politics as working towards their cause as oppsed to striving to obtain political power by any means.
    Actually it's the nature of the party's personalities. Republicans TEND to stay lock step in the party line and whatever "talking points" their people are floating.

Democrats TEND to be divided among many causes and view politics as working towards their cause as oppsed to striving to obtain political power by any means.

Oh, boy.....this is going to get dicey......

Another way to say this is that "republicans tend to agree with each other more so than do democrats."

In the interest of full disclosure: I am a registered independent

Newt Gingrich was the master progandist who essentially invented this republican game --

crafted during the onslaught against Speaker Wright, refined during the destruction wrought against the effort to get heath care for all americans, and executed with masterly slickness in the "contract on American" coup.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    Newt Gingrich was the master progandist who essentially invented this republican game --

crafted during the onslaught against Speaker Wright, refined during the destruction wrought against the effort to get heath care for all americans, and executed with masterly slickness in the "contract on American" coup.
    That is exactly true, since 1994, the whole GOP message delivery system was overhauled though Gingrich's strategic vision, and the dems have been playing catchup ever since.

I admire their strength through unity approach.

I also admire how the Daleks can work so efficiently on Dr. Who, but that is another matter .
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE

Why am I putting myself in the middle of this?

Didn't the outcome of the election in the "contract with america" days demonstrate that those "talking points" resonated with the public?

Granted, it's up for discussion as to whether the contract was honored. But, it seems that the voting public countersigned the contract in triplicate.
    Wow, so it's talking points that keep the GOP in power? Amazing...

Wow, so it's talking points that keep the GOP in power? Amazing...
    is it so shocking to hear that talking points actually work?

both sides use them, its just that the GOP uses them so much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    is it so shocking to hear that talking points actually work?

both sides use them, its just that the GOP uses them so much better.
    As I said, both sides do use them. However, it's the message don't you think? Give credit where credit is due, right now, the GOP has what the voting populace believe the right idea. These things are cyclical.

I think you're reasonable enough to see that, there are others here who I doubt understand this.

Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    I also admire how the Daleks can work so efficiently on Dr. Who, but that is another matter .
    Oh, that is precious!
    As I said, both sides do use them. However, it's the message don't you think? Give credit where credit is due, right now, the GOP has what the voting populace believe the right idea. These things are cyclical.

I think you're reasonable enough to see that, there are others here who I doubt understand this.
    In politics, you need to deliver your message well - a good message delivered poorly can lose out to a poor message delivered well.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Why am I putting myself in the middle of this?

Didn't the outcome of the election in the "contract with america" days demonstrate that those "talking points" resonated with the public?

Granted, it's up for discussion as to whether the contract was honored. But, it seems that the voting public countersigned the contract in triplicate.
    That's part of the game. Repeat talking point, see if it sticks. If not, switch message.

And no, that contract was not honored.
    That's part of the game. Repeat talking point, see if it sticks. If not, switch message.

And no, that contract was not honored.

and that crap works MUCH better when its being reenforced and repeated on countless radio talk and cable SHOUTING HEAD shows

which the repugs seized at about the same time as Gingrich was starting his coup --- just like in South America ....
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast