Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got a palmIIIc, why you ask? for one thing ive heard palms cell phone connectivity kit isnt too far off... second off, cheap color, third, recharable battery, and fourth, easy linux compatibility... oh yeah, not to mention color
    Actually, no one did ask.
    Frankly, although I'm not ready to abandon Handspring yet (despite my rabid rhetoric regarding recent recriminations--always avoid annoying alliteration), I am always interested in the reasons people do abandon the Handspring solution. I think it is perfectly reasonable (and a service, in fact) to come on here and give the reasons you left the fold. Any more who wish to do so, I encourage you. Handspring should pay close attention to these people and use the information as constructive criticism.
    i agree with you Zelchenko (which is VERY close to meaning 'green corn' in my ancestor's languange )

an interesting thought. would handspring follow suit and develop a cable or IR link to cell phones so that all Visor users can connect wirelessly through a cell phone (like Palm is releasing) or would they consider this a direct threat to their cell phone module sales or competing against Omnisky, YadaYada (i'm not a big fan of that name...couldn't they think of something NOT from Seinfeld?), etc.?
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    Um, what's wrong with the MarkSpace cable for connecting cellphones?
    Rev. Peter da Silva, ULC<br>
    <a href=http://www.taronga.com/~peter/>Ar rug tú barróg ar do mhactíre inniu?</a>
    I am always interested in the reasons people do abandon the Handspring solution. I think it is perfectly reasonable (and a service, in fact) to come on here and give the reasons you left the fold.
    The subtext of statements like that is: "I can complain about the Visor, even though I own one, so therefore I'm more objective." Sorry, but finding shortcomings in any platform, including your own, takes zero effort. It has to be obvious to everyone, including Handspring, that the Prism should be cheaper, smaller, have better audio and screen resolution, and have more affordable springboard modules. A real service, rather than narcissism disguised as constructive criticism, would be to suggest ways in which that might these improvements can come to pass.

But yes, we do need discussions of competing products. Hence the appropriate forum for them: "PalmOS Compatibles."
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    The subtext of statements like that is: "I can complain about the Visor, even though I own one, so therefore I'm more objective."
    No, the subtext of statements like that is: "I thought about my options and these are the reasons I feel the way I do". We all have our opinions Gameboy (i've read MANY of yours )

A real service, rather than narcissism disguised as constructive criticism, would be to suggest ways in which that might these improvements can come to pass.
    Not all of us can spout off technical specifications to making the next Visor have certain specifications (geez, i'd be working FOR handspring if that was the case...and isn't comparing the Visor to another product a form of constructive criticism (providing an example of how something might be done in the future??)?

But yes, we do need discussions of competing products. Hence the appropriate forum for them: "PalmOS Compatibles."
    whoa....
    everybody is entitled to their opinion, however this does have something to do with comparing a PALM product to an Handspring product, and why the post(er) chose to go with one over the other and why.
    (we're getting a little over-defensive of our little electronic organizers aren't we?

wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    Originally posted by argent
    Um, what's wrong with the MarkSpace cable for connecting cellphones?
    i haven't researched enough about the MarkSpace, it is really that simple to connect to a cellphone with it? I'll have to go read some of the threads here and find out...
    Gameboy,

Your problem is you believe this forum is a devotees-only club. There are probably a lot of people that agree with you, unfortunately; however, others believe (like myself) that forums like these are for the free exchange of information and not just a place where Visor owners can read what they want to hear. If you want that, why bother reading anything but the Handspring press releases? Nerds like us who can spout specifications are not the bread-n-butter of the PDA manufacturers, it is the people who need help programming their VCRs. There are far more of them than there are of us. So any information, whether purely impressions or technical, is valuable to Handspring and it's devotees. The reason I spoke out is your first response was simply a form of the mantra of the elitist--"i.e. Traitor!--who needs you?!" I think that is ignorant and counter-productive.
  10.    #10  
    im simply saying that palm has a more powerful platform at a lesser price (crappy alliteration, i know) its cheaper color, and an upgradeable OS to me, and the fact that its looked kind of shady whether wireless net service works on Vdx was just another minus for springboard, i know theres many a person who use the springboard slot extensively but im not one of them, i bought a IIIc because it simply fits my wants and needs better than my Vdx and although the longer size is a bit of an annoyance, im sure ill get used to it
    All a "celphone cable" is, is a serial cable with a funky connector and sometimes a bit of analog hardware for buffering. Pretty much all cellphones have DB9-cellphone adaptors available (with any special electronics included), and thus any cable with a DB9 at the end can be used, so long as it provides power... which is exactly the difference between the eFig and MarkSpace cables.
    Rev. Peter da Silva, ULC<br>
    <a href=http://www.taronga.com/~peter/>Ar rug tú barróg ar do mhactíre inniu?</a>
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    Actually, no one did ask.
    I agree with GameBoy. Why come here to announce that he "DITCHED" the Visor Deluxe? Does he feel better now? I don't see the point.

The good thing about all this is that there will be less whining on the board.
    Like I said before. This is not a devotees-only board. And you are wrong about the less whining part. I'll see to that.
  14.    #14  
    so everyone is just supposed to come here talking about how great their visors are, i was just simply telling why i switched
    Originally posted by zelchenko
    The reason I spoke out is your first response was simply a form of the mantra of the elitist--"i.e. Traitor!--who needs you?!" I think that is ignorant and counter-productive.
    Let's back up a little here and reexamine what was actually said and why. My dry "no one asked" comment was a direct response to b1lanceman's condescending and presumptuous, "Why, you ask?" comment. Notice that I did not attack his criticisms (although I should point out that "easy Linux compatibility" isn't a Palm advantage over the Visor; I HotSynch to Linux Mandrake via USB all the time).

Then we (I include myself) all got off track in arguing over whether or not VC is a devotees-only site. That's a valid discussion in and of itself, but it's irrelevant to my initial quip. Next time, I'll drop in a smiley.
    Let's not get into a pissing contest here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but posting a single topic with only this:
    I just got a palmIIIc, why you ask? for one thing ive heard palms cell phone connectivity kit isnt too far off... second off, cheap color, third, recharable battery, and fourth, easy linux compatibility... oh yeah, not to mention color
    is asking for an intial response like the one Gameboy gave.

Product comparisons are something that everyone goes through. I compared the Palm OS to WinCE when I bought my first Palm III and compared the VDX to the IIIx when the Visor came out. Posting something more in-depth would probably have generated a better response.

Where should "Visor vs. ___" go? Palm OS compatibles? Maybe. General? Maybe. Off-Topic? Eventually. Everyone gets offended when someone purchases something else. Buy what you need. I recently got an email from someone asking whether they should get the VPL or Palm IIIc. I told that person to "get the Platinum if color isn't a necessity and you care about Springboard modules or USB. If you like color, go with the IIIc (or Prism if you can afford it)." I'm pro-Handspring, but I'm not anti-everything else.

The Visor isn't the be-all-end-all of handheld computers. It is a great handheld computer, and that's why you will find more people here who like their Visors (and aren't afraid to tell you) than not. Are there things that Handspring could do to improve the Visor? Of course. But the current product is also a great buy.

BTW, I'm moving this to off-topic.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    For the record, I think that moving this to Off-topic was way out-of-line. It is not "off topic" at all. It may not be pleasant for the market-droids, but it is definitely not "off topic"
    Don't feel too bad that it got moved down here. This isn't the dump for unwanted threads. Actually you should thank James for not moving it to the "Palm OS compatible" forum; this forum gets a whole lot more traffic.
    Originally posted by lennonhead
    Actually you should thank James for not moving it to the "Palm OS compatible" forum; this forum gets a whole lot more traffic.
    Personally, I disagree; "Palm OS Compatable" seems like the appropriate forum to me to discuss different Palm OS devices.
    Yes, but it doesn't get as much exposure. I wouldn't even be typing this if it were in the Palm OS Compatibles section because I haven't clicked on that link for a month or so. Just an opinion though, maybe some of you visit that area frequently.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast