1.    #1  
    Today we had to put our cat down, after having her for 14 years. Pets really do become a part and member of the family. It is especially hard when you have young kids and trying to explain it to them.

Here's to all those with pets....give them an extra pet and hug today for our Keiko!
    Bummer. Sorry.
    I don't know, maby it'll work for cats too.

Quote Originally Posted by TLSG
    The Dog Poem

I remember bringing you home. You were so small and cuddly with your tiny paws and soft fur.

You bounced around the room with eyes flashing and ears flopping. Once in awhile, you'd let out a little yelp just to let me know that this was your territory.

Making a mess of the house and chewing on everything in sight became a passion, and when I scolded you, you just put your head down and looked up at me with those innocent eyes, as if to say, "I'm sorry, but I'll do it again as soon as you're not watching."

As you got older, you protected me by looking out the window and barking at everyone who walked by. When I had a tough day at work, you would be waiting for me with your tail wagging, just to say, "Welcome home. I missed you." You never had a bad day and I could always count on you to be there for me.

When I sat down to read the paper and watch TV, you would hop on my lap, looking for attention. You never asked for anything more than to have me pat your head so you could go to sleep with your head over my leg.

As you got older, you moved around more slowly. Then, one day, old age finally took its toll and you couldn't stand on those wobbly legs anymore. I knelt down and patted you lying there, trying to make you young again. You just looked up at me as if to say that you were old and tired and that after all these years of not asking for anything, you had to ask me for one favor.

With tears in my eyes, I drove you one last time to the vet. One last time you were lying next to me. For some strange reason, you were able to stand up in the animal hospital; perhaps it was your sense of pride.

As the vet led you away, you stopped for an instant, turned your head and looked at me as if to say,
    "Thank you for taking care of me."

I thought, "No.... thank you for taking care of me."
    Last edited by TheLiveSoundGuy; 08/20/2005 at 03:30 PM.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Today we had to put our cat down, after having her for 14 years. Pets really do become a part and member of the family. It is especially hard when you have young kids and trying to explain it to them.

Here's to all those with pets....give them an extra pet and hug today for our Keiko!

Kids are especially effected --

I was twelve and it took me forever to get over my dog friend who I lost when it got run over by a car.

(I have not forgiven cars since !)

everyone has to be allowed to remember and grieve ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Very sorry for your loss. I lost my dog a year ago and it was very difficult. He was my little buddy, friend and part of our family.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    How young are your kids?
    Why you had to this in front of your kids?
    That's too bad about your pet, they really do become part of the family. I don't know how old your kids are, but if they are old enough, you can try to make this a learning opportunity about the cycle of life and that grief can be as constructive as it is difficult.

Good luck and sorry to hear about Keiko.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks everyone.

My son is 4 yrs old. Old enough to notice she will be gone and not quite old enough to understand why. We have been using this as a learning opportunity, as he will know within a day or so that she is gone if we did not address it with him. No matter how old you are.....it is a hard lesson.

Here is a picture:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sorry
    Oh! That's cute one .
    I cann't think of doing something like this in front of my 2 year old.
    Sorry to hear about your loss. This is a sad thread, especially as I sit here with my springer spaniel and 5 and 6 yr old kids.
    My 6 yr old daughter overheard me reading the dog poem to my wife and it inspired her to write the following poem herself. She requested that I post it here ;-)

Take care of your dogs everyday, if they're boring if they're wild, if they're droopy or if they're sad.
    Take care of your dogs every day, because soon your dog will pass away.
    And if they're droopy and if they're sad; whatever kind they are; you should take care of them because their fading day is not too far.
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    My condolences Hobbes. As a cat lover and now a dog owner/lover too, I can feel your loss. I got my first cat when I was in the 3rd grade and had "Jingles" for 17 years before he past in his sleep. That was 20 years ago and to this day I still have his ashes in a nice wooden urn. Jingles is not alone and is being kept company with Hannibal (my wifes first cat) and someday, hopefully a long time from now, with Keyser; Clarice; Bruce and our new cocker spaniel Whistler.

Out your life, but never out of your thoughts and hearts.
    Last edited by cgordonn; 08/20/2005 at 10:47 PM.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    We had to put our 4 year old bulldog to sleep last october. ..my oldest child being 3 at the time..the dog was diagnosed with lymphoma that july and we decided to get a puppy that August from the SPCA as a companion for both the dog and our 3 yeard old and to soften the blow when it was her time (which came pretty fast unfortunately)... She handled it pretty well and we still talk about Colby a lot "up there" ...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Sorry Hobbes: It is a very tough thing to do. I struggled with finding the right time to put our dog down (we got 'Roger' before my 14 year old son). Roger was really old and had chronic arthritis.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I gave each of my three wonderful dogs an extra hug and pet today. Ya gotta take advantage of what you've got before it's gone.

Sorry for you loss, Hobbbes.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    We had to put our 4 year old bulldog to sleep last october. ..my oldest child being 3 at the time..the dog was diagnosed with lymphoma that july and we decided to get a puppy that August from the SPCA as a companion for both the dog and our 3 yeard old and to soften the blow when it was her http://www.englishbullpup.com/images/Mugsy2.jpgtime (which came pretty fast unfortunately)... She handled it pretty well and we still talk about Colby a lot "up there" ...

Oh ,
    I feel like crying .
    I have a two year old english bulldog named Brutus .
    I will have tough time if something like this happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Oh ,
    I feel like crying .
    I have a two year old english bulldog named Brutus .
    I will have tough time if something like this happens.
    It was very tough for us...here's a pic from 2002
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  16.    #16  
    Thanks again for all of your thoughts. And thanks for the extra attention in Keiko's honor with your own pets.

We did not tell our son before I had taken Keiko to the Vet this afternoon. She has battled respiratory problems and arthritis the last couple years. Medication kept those in line. But when she developed feline diabetes about 6 months ago, it sent everything else into overdrive. In the last 4 days it was obvious she was in pain and was heading down fast.

It did not take long for our son to notice that he could not find Keiko after I got back. Out of the blue he asked when Keiko would be done with her break (which means when will she be done with her nap). We never mentioned the term putting her to sleep, and never talked about it that way with him. We explained to him that she is in Heaven with Heavenly Father and is very happy and waiting to play with us again some day. He cried for about 30 minutes. Then looked up and said that he is sad she is gone for now, but that he is glad that she is happy and having fun in Heaven.

I can remember a dog my parents had that died when I was about 4 years old. I wonder if he will remember her when he is grown up as well...........
    I got a call (on my Treo!) yesterday from the maintenance guy over at the school behind our house that he had our cat. He said he could tell (you don't want to know how) that it was a coyote kill. I flirted with not telling the Mrs. but did and ruined her day. We still haven't told our 5 yr old son and so far he hasn't noticed that Dave is missing.

I think that if he doesn't pick up on it today we will have to mention it...perhaps as we say our prayers at bedtime. It will probably be hardest on our dog, though. They were really close.
    So sorry Hobbes and rouxdoo!!

breaks my heart thinking about it.