1.    #1  
    So I have been looking at the Minolta Maxxum 7D DSLR for a few weeks now. It has pretty good reviews, a neat stabilizing feature, and a huge bonus...I already have two nice lenses (macro and zoom) that work with it.

So here's my thing...the best prices I have found retail are around $1200 and online around $1000. The today I find this www.BestPriceCameras.com and they sell it for $769. http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=194100&start=1

Yes I know it is just the body and does not include the lens (same as the other prices I mentioned). It claims to be brand new and "factory fresh" (what does that mean) and claims to have a full US Warranty.

This deal sounds too good to be true and usually if it sounds too good, it is too good. So my question is this...what's the catch...why so cheap...what am I missing and what should I look out for?
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggy
    So I have been looking at the Minolta Maxxum 7D DSLR for a few weeks now. It has pretty good reviews, a neat stabilizing feature, and a huge bonus...I already have two nice lenses (macro and zoom) that work with it.

So here's my thing...the best prices I have found retail are around $1200 and online around $1000. The today I find this www.BestPriceCameras.com and they sell it for $769. http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=194100&start=1

Yes I know it is just the body and does not include the lens (same as the other prices I mentioned). It claims to be brand new and "factory fresh" (what does that mean) and claims to have a full US Warranty.

This deal sounds too good to be true and usually if it sounds too good, it is too good. So my question is this...what's the catch...why so cheap...what am I missing and what should I look out for?
    Can you say re-built.???
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  3.    #3  
    But it says brand new
    It would be...brand new to you
    I don't know of any catch, but on at a place called "BestPriceCameras", would you be more happy if they overcharged??
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I haven't heard of them, but I just got a Canon SD400 from www.butterflyphoto.com at a great price. I search for the cheap deals too but am more likely to pay a few bucks more to buy from a rated dealer or someone I've used before.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
  7.    #7  
    And James they are $300 more...what's the deal?
    I don't see anything obvious. The domain name has been registered since 2001 and is an address in Brooklyn. It seems to just be a sale. My SD400 is almost the same price as at that place.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    ...and there is a tooth fairy. Why do you think it's $300 cheaper

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    How much is shipping...$150???
    Be wary - if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I was looking for a Canon XL or GL series digital camcorder last year and ended up interested in a "killer" deal at a place in Brooklyn. Turns out if you order, you get a call where they try to sell you an upgraded package which brings the price to as much or more than the price at a rated/name-brand store. They mysteriously are out of stock at the web price but have plenty of the upgrade packages even though the upgraded package is only the body plus a bunch of overpriced lens filters/cleaning kits/etc. Not exactly bait-and-switch, but pretty close.

Can't find it any more, but I read a thread somewhere where people had posted pictures of the storefront for some of these scumbag outfits. If you saw them, you wouldn't go in, let alone buy something there.

Do the Olympics thing - throw out the highest and lowest and look for something in the middle. At www.dpreview.com, they show prices from 1000-1200+. Of these, I've had good experience with B&H Photo, Harmony, and Amazon which were all around $1100. I have an order coming from Beach camera this week - so far they've been good as well. 42cd Street Photo ($1059) has been around forever, but I haven't bought anything from them in over 10 years, so I can't say if they are still good or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    How much is shipping...$150???
    Woman, must I solve everything??

You can use the $200 you save to buy a NY bridge while you're at it. Sorry, but 2 vendors >20% lower than 27 others smells like a scam to me. I love to save money, but it sounds too good to trust to mail order.

FWIW, my order from Beach camera arrived today - on time, perfect contents, exactly what I expected. They move up to the "most likely trustworthy" category in my book.
    I've heard you need to be careful with some of the online discount camera shops. One report I saw said basically some of them do a form of the bait and switch. They hook you on a super low price and try to load you up with accessories on the order, even attempting to charge for things that are included in the retail package. These guys apparently change business names every season and reopen often in the same location.

Then if they can not get you to bite on the extras, they tell you than the unit you want is on "backorder" and it will basically never ship.
    There are many shops in Brooklyn where you can get things a LOT cheaper. The bulk of them are "family owned" and they have many shops, and all are closed on Saturdays and one other full week during the year. (Hint, Hint).

The common factor in the sale is the push for accessories but also a no return or "hard to return" clause. I've been stuck with equipment from some.

The major supplier out of NYC is B & H but I have found their service at times to be very shoddy - althouth they are pros.

I opt to use Cameta Camera (they're on eBay and a legitimate company) and the service and post sales support has always been stellar.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    I picked up a nifty disposable camera at Eckards.
    Still got the price sticker on it.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

I have an Etch-a-Sketch. I can draw a price tag.
  19.    #19  
    Thanks guys, I decided to do more research on these sites and found a site called ResellerRatings.com. Some of the stories are really hard to believe but there are so many of them there must be some truth to it (more than enough to shy away from the great low pricing). I mean on a scale of 0-10 the camera shops I checked were getting .3 ratings)...yes you read that right...not three but point three.

I am glad I did my research first instead of some of these people who got scammed!
    Good to hear it. As Insertion might say "good things come to those who search first".

Thanks for the ResellerRatings.com btw, it's a keeper.