1.    #1  
    I have been looking for an mp3 player for my wife. She is very smart, but doesn't like to take the time to learn techno stuff. I've been looking for a very simple, reasonably priced, mp3 player.

After much searching, I have settled on the iPod Shuffle - 512 meg version. http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/

I have charged it and loaded a bunch of songs on it for her. My initial thoughts:

Pros:

1. It is VERY simple and easy to use. Play/Pause; Volume up/down; forward/backward. No menus, no options, no playlists - just music.

2. It is VERY light - 0.78 ounces.

3. It's very small - smaller than a pack of gum.

4. No cables or removable batteries. Just plug it into the USB port to charge the internal battery and load music. The battery charge should last 12 hours.

5. Skip-free playback while exercising because it has flash memory;

6. Easy to use with Itunes. Just plug it into the USB port and load songs automatically via Itunes' "Autofill" feature or manually put what you want on it.

7. Listen to songs randomly or in order.

8. Big enough memory for several days of use (holds about 120 songs).

9. Very good sound quality and volume.

10. Lots of accessories available for iPods.

11. Looks cool.

Cons:

1. Not compatible with WMA files or monthly subscription music. To get the songs I like onto the Shuffle, I am using a combination of Yahoo music and Replay Music to save songs in mp3 format.

2. It doesn't handle multiple playlists. Just the one playlist you load at a time.

3. Not as much memory as a regular iPod.

4. No menus for EQ control, playlists, song searching, etc.

All in all, it is a very cool, small, simple, lightweight device for listening to music on the go. I'm a new iPod Shuffle fan. I may buy another for me!
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Love mine. A couple hundred songs is enough for me. I use it running or at the gym, so the lack of led screen doesn't impact me b/c you can't read anyway when you are moving around.
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    All in all, it is a very cool, small, simple, lightweight device for listening to music on the go. I'm a new iPod Shuffle fan. I may buy another for me!
    get an iPod, or at the least a Mini.

listening to my 'pod as we type...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    get an iPod, or at the least a Mini.
    listening to my 'pod as we type...
    I have considered an iPod or a Mini, but I'm not sure what big benefit they have over the Shuffle for my needs. I keep all of my music files on my desktop, and I listen from the desktop. My songs are backed up to an external hard drive.

I want music when I am on the go - in the car, on a run, or working around the house. The Shuffle handles that need without being too heavy to take with me anywhere. For those reasons, I'm leaning toward the Shuffle, but still considering the Mini.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    I have considered an iPod or a Mini, but I'm not sure what big benefit they have over the Shuffle for my needs. I keep all of my music files on my desktop, and I listen from the desktop. My songs are backed up to an external hard drive.

I want music when I am on the go - in the car, on a run, or working around the house. The Shuffle handles that need without being too heavy to take with me anywhere. For those reasons, I'm leaning toward the Shuffle, but still considering the Mini.
    I would say the Mini, only because a 512MB shuffle is $99. For $100 more, you'd get 4GB. Plus all the accessories you can get for the iPods and Mini's.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I would say the Mini, only because a 512MB shuffle is $99. For $100 more, you'd get 4GB. Plus all the accessories you can get for the iPods and Mini's.
    You can't run with them.
    none of you using the 650 for mp3 music ??
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    none of you using the 650 for mp3 music ??
    Would you use an iPod to make phone calls??

Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    You can't run with them.
    So buy it. Don't Steal it!

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    You can't run with them.
    Huh ? Why can an Ipod mini not be used to run with ? I can only express thoughts on my own personal use of the 4GB mini. Being a Professional Ocean Rescue Lifeguard, I run a whole lot, probably more than the average person. Boardwalk runs, soft sand runs, 5 or 6 miles at a time. I have to say that there have not been any problems at all with my mini. The supposed skipping that keeps getting mentioned has not ever occurred with my mini, or has it occurred with the 20 other lifeguards I work with who own the mini. More music, nice tight belt clip that stays attached to swim trunks, and a screen to look at when I decide what play list I am in the mood to run to. Go ahead, get a mini.

-----------------------------------
    Treo 650 Sprint
    1.12 rocks !
    I love my iPod shuffle and my 3G iPod. I use the shuffle at the gym and the normal iPod in the car.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I love the mini. I use it everyday at the gym. Apple makes an armband that is perfect. The mini stays in place no matter what I am doing. I have never had a skip or any other problem. Since I got mine I have seen dozens more pop up at the gym.

The mini also has the LED so your are not forced to listen to the randomization of songs on the shuffle. I am not nearly organized enough to know what I will want to listen at the gym. So when I get there I just pick something or a playlist and go.

The battery on the mini is awesome. I get a full week's workouts with one charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by ehosey2
    Huh ? Why can an Ipod mini not be used to run with ? I can only express thoughts on my own personal use of the 4GB mini. Being a Professional Ocean Rescue Lifeguard, I run a whole lot, probably more than the average person. Boardwalk runs, soft sand runs, 5 or 6 miles at a time. I have to say that there have not been any problems at all with my mini. The supposed skipping that keeps getting mentioned has not ever occurred with my mini, or has it occurred with the 20 other lifeguards I work with who own the mini. More music, nice tight belt clip that stays attached to swim trunks, and a screen to look at when I decide what play list I am in the mood to run to. Go ahead, get a mini.

-----------------------------------
    Treo 650 Sprint
    1.12 rocks !
    Running, movement damages the small 'moving' hard drive on the mini over time. The Shuffle memory has no moving parts.

Sounds like the mini works for you. I would like to get one down the road when the alleged video ipod comes out.