Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    KANSAS CITY, KS—As the debate over the teaching of evolution in public schools continues, a new controversy over the science curriculum arose Monday in this embattled Midwestern state. Scientists from the Evangelical Center For Faith-Based Reasoning are now asserting that the long-held "theory of gravity" is flawed, and they have responded to it with a new theory of Intelligent Falling.

"Things fall not because they are acted upon by some gravitational force, but because a higher intelligence, 'God' if you will, is pushing them down," said Gabriel Burdett, who holds degrees in education, applied Scripture, and physics from Oral Roberts University.

Burdett added: "Gravity—which is taught to our children as a law—is founded on great gaps in understanding. The laws predict the mutual force between all bodies of mass, but they cannot explain that force. Isaac Newton himself said, 'I suspect that my theories may all depend upon a force for which philosophers have searched all of nature in vain.' Of course, he is alluding to a higher power."

-snip-

Read More Here
    I still haven't heard a good scientific explanation of gravity. Curved space-time? Gravitons? Something else? For something so basic in our lives, it is remarkable that science can't explain what it is.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    According to one of my science teachers back in the **cough**70's, when drinking, we could not pull liquid thru a straw by means of suction (vacuum,) if we did not have gravity. Gravity's pressure on the liguid in the glass pushes, the liquid up thru the straw when the vacuum is applied.

Ok....must be true, he's the teacher.

I'm thirsty.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Gravity...that subject often weighs upon me. But usually, when pondering it's effects, it just keeps me down...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Gravity...that subject often weighs upon me. But usually, when pondering it's effects, it just keeps me down...
    That's deep. May the force be with you.
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    For something so basic in our lives, it is remarkable that science can't explain what it is.
    Agreed.
    Even though this is a great parody of the evolution/intelligent design/creationism controversy, it is a sad commentary on the state of the US vis a vis science and education. There is a concerted effort to force the teaching of a literal/innerrant interpretation of the Christian scriptures in public schools. The people pushing this agenda state that their beliefs are the only true ones and anything else is evil, Satanic, and patently false. What is frightening is that they now have politicians kowtowing to them and trying to make that agenda the law of the land. The time is coming when they will say that the Earth is flat and that NASA fakes pictures from space to push an unGodly, secularist program.
    That's Democracy for you ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by zvandiver
    There is a concerted effort to force the teaching of a literal/innerrant interpretation of the Christian scriptures in public schools.
    They're is? That must have been Mrs. Wallack's third period class I skipped.

No one ever pushed anything off on me short of a cheap watch.

Seriously, that was never taught in the public school system I went through.

Thread Crapper

I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Quote Originally Posted by TheLiveSoundGuy
    They're is? That must have been Mrs. Wallack's third period class I skipped.

No one ever pushed anything off on me short of a cheap watch.

Seriously, that was never taught in the public school system I went through.
    For the last 40 to 50 years, it hasn't been taught. The effort is to start now. The Odessa, TX school board is considering offering a Bible class using material from a fundamentalist group advocating a particular interpretation of the Bible.
    Quote Originally Posted by zvandiver
    For the last 40 to 50 years, it hasn't been taught. The effort is to start now. The Odessa, TX school board is considering offering a Bible class using material from a fundamentalist group advocating a particular interpretation of the Bible.
    Well, if thats the case, I can't say I would agree with that.

FWIW: My girls have all graduated, so ya'll are gonna have to fight this one, on yer own. Good Luck.

Thread Crapper

Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    That's Democracy for you ...
    Stupid democracy!
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    I still haven't heard a good scientific explanation of gravity. Curved space-time? Gravitons? Something else? For something so basic in our lives, it is remarkable that science can't explain what it is.

No scientific explanation.......then there must be a supernatural entity behind it. The big guy must get tired holding things down all of the time
    and if the earth is spinning on it's axis, wouldn't we have the opposite effect of gravity? Centrifical Force?

Thread Crapper

Quote Originally Posted by pdxtreo
    No scientific explanation.......then there must be a supernatural entity behind it. The big guy must get tired holding things down all of the time
    I think it is Elmo holding it all together, or Tom Cruise.

Seriously, I point out the issue about gravity as a reminder that while scientists do the best they can, we still don't really have a clue about the fundamental workings of the universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLiveSoundGuy
    FWIW: My girls have all graduated, so ya'll are gonna have to fight this one, on yer own. Good Luck.
    Not picking a fight but, do parents feel only parents should have input into decisions like these versus all voters.
    Well I have analyzed this over the last several hours. Here are my results-

xn+yn=zn has no solutions in integers for n being equal to or greater than 3, therefore God could be the solution to the explanation of gravity.

Dr. ATM
    I feel schools should stick to the basics - math, science, languages, history. Parents, not schools, should teach their children religion, morals, ethics, sex education, etc. Schools should be neutral toward intelligent design. Teach what we know about science, admit what we don't yet know about science.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Not picking a fight but, do parents feel only parents should have input into decisions like these versus all voters.
    Not gonna do it. But, I'll give you points for "almost" on this one.
    You should have seen the response I typed up over the last few min. though. Right in the middle of my third paragraph, I thought to myself, "what am I doing?"
    You sir are a button pusher.

I will stand on my previous statement.
    I choose not to choose!
    Last edited by TheLiveSoundGuy; 08/17/2005 at 03:07 PM.

Thread Crapper

Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Well I have analyzed this over the last several hours. Here are my results-

xn+yn=zn has no solutions in integers for n being equal to or greater than 3, therefore God could be the solution to the explanation of gravity.

Dr. ATM
    Check again. I think you forgot to carry the vowel.

Thread Crapper

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast