Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BTW - Sorry everyone for goin' so wayyy off-topic in this off-topic thread. Just having a little fun.
    Perhapse the truth about many and possiby all things is beyond our mental capacity?
    my original point

oh yeah i forgot

Gravity is something else huh?
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    HAHAHAHA! That's pretty funny. Here are a few fundamental questions off the top of my head:
    1. Why does light have a wave/particle duality?
    What do you mean, why? That's just how it is, according to numerous vey good experiments
    How can those particles in light travel at the speed of light?
    It's quite obvious that light particles travel at the speed of light, no? Otherwise it would not be called speed of light.
    2. Which irreconcilable theory is wrong: general relativity or quantum mechanics? Or are they both wrong?
    Both theories explain extremely well and in great detail what goes on in the fields where they apply, quantum mechanics in the field of the extremely small, general relativity in the field of the extemely big. So far, there is no theory wich explains both worlds at the same time. You are kindly invited to participate in the quest, or to support research in that direction.
    3. What caused the Big Bang?
    What caused god (Shiva, Vishnu, or other gods)? You say your god was just there and created the universe, I say the universe is just there. My explanation takes one step less, so maybe it is better?
    4. What is the force behind gravity?
    Gravity IS the force.
    5. What invisible force holds a nucleus together?
    The Strong Interaction. It represents "the interactions between quarks and gluons as detailed by the theory of quantum chromodynamics. The strong force is the fundamental force mediated by gluons, acting upon quarks, antiquarks, and the gluons themselves."
    While scientists get better at making predictions, they don't have a clue about the fundamental forces which their predictions are based upon.
    You know better? Got some results and data to present?
    They can explain with accuracy HOW the earth revolves around the sun,
    For sure they did find out THAT earth revolves around the sun. Not so long ago people were burnt at the stake for those results. Besides, planetary orbits are described with extreme accuracy, are they not accurate enough for your taste?
    Gravity? It's just there? Right?
    Yes, it's there. You doubt it?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    It doesn't seem "lame" to seek the truth of the matter. While Newton's explanations offer almost perfect predictors of behavior, his theory is simply wrong. According to Newton, gravational effects are felt instantaneously across space. This view requires speeds greater than the speed of light, and was disproved by Einstein.

For one who values scientific thought, I'm surprised that you are fine with scientific principles known to be false. Close enough doesn't count when seeking the truth, does it? You seem to be a big stickler for truth and accuracy when it comes to the bible - why not the same with science?
    A scientific theory does not necessarily explain everything. Newton's law of gravitation explains a hell of a lot. Einsteins General Relativity is better, it explains things better than Newton's laws, and it makes better predictions than Newtons's laws. There's nothing wrong with that. The current explanations we have are extremely good and detailed, but nobody ever said they are perfect.

You mentioned the accuracy of the bible and the explanations found there... on one hand, you are somebody who claims without proof that the bible is literally, word by word true, no matter how unrealistic it may be that a man 600 years of age collects all the animal species from A like ant to Z like zebra, including penguins, polar bears, etc. and has them on a wooden boat for many months while the whole earth is submerged in water.

On the other hand you "complain" (sort of) about scientific theories which do not yet explain evey detail to your satisfaction? I am quite sure the discrepancies between what we observe and what the "theories" say is far greater when comparing the observable facts with what Genesis claims, then when comparing the observable facts with General Relativity or Quantum Mechanics. Apart from that, science is open for change and the explanations will get even better over time.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    LOL, I came up with that theory myself years ago. Turns out I'm not the only mixed bag o' nuts out there. A few philosophers pondered the same theory thousands of years ago.
    You were alive thousands of years ago? Dude, I'm impressed!

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    the truth isn't certain, it depends on whos truth it is. (unless were talking math)
    THE truth is certain. Our knowledge of it may not be.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    THE truth is certain. Our knowledge of it may not be.
    i believe truth is based on perception, but i have already had this discussion . the sum total of your life defines your truths
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    i believe truth is based on perception, but i have already had this discussion . the sum total of your life defines your truths
    Accepted. So what term would you use to describe the condition of you having three apples, despite the perception of there being only two?

Kaffee: I want the truth!
    Jessep: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.
    We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't [care] what you think you're entitled to!
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    So what term would you use to describe the condition of you having three apples, despite the perception of there being only two?
    Basically, I would call it the condition of having one apple more than one thought. There could be several reasons for this. Lack of attention and not enough focus on the number of apples is probably the most likely one, but it could also be something more severe.
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Basically, I would call it the condition of having one apple more than one thought. There could be several reasons for this. Lack of attention and not enough focus on the number of apples is probably the most likely one, but it could also be something more severe.
    Yup, could be extremely severe...

so put yer glasses on and get some!

Thread Crapper

I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Shall I consider that an offer?
    Advise, actually. Abstenence makes the urge more stronger... or ...something gets longer, or something like that.

Thread Crapper

Back to the topic at hand.

Thread Crapper

I see your point.
    Been a while Shop?

Thread Crapper

Quote Originally Posted by TheLiveSoundGuy
    Been a while Shop?
    Strangest thing. Last night I had no idea what skilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllz had posted, then all of sudden this morning it became clear.
    Musta been some morning...
    Musta been some morning...
    couldn't get the **** outta bed...which further goes to prove the theory of gravity.

Thread Crapper

To see skillllllz's picture, I had to stand across the room and squint my eyes. Then I saw it.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast