Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    if i have a apple in my hand and you give me another how many apples do i have?
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    LOL, I came up with that theory myself years ago. Turns out I'm not the only mixed bag o' nuts out there. A few philosophers pondered the same theory thousands of years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    if i have a apple in my hand and you give me another how many apples do i have?
    One, in each hand.
    i will have whatever he smoked
    Okay, but how is his statement that out of whack? We've no proof that real death even exists. Our faith (while it may be proof enough to ourselves) is not proof of anything.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    One, in each hand.
    correct, to you (your truth) but if i have another in my pocket my truth would be three apples i have, which was the original question, not how many in my hand.

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Thank you. Its all a matter of perception, outside of the two certainties. How do you know you even exist? Because you feel/see/think you do? It may seem extreme but its whatever you believe... you simply cannot prove it.
    correct, to you (your truth) but if i have another in my pocket my truth would be three apples i have, which was the original question, not how many in my hand.
    Ok so then tell me... despite what we both see which is THE truth?
    Tell me, is the glass half empty or half full?
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    Okay, but how is his statement that out of whack? We've no proof that real death even exists. Our faith (while it may be proof enough to ourselves) is not proof of anything.

Pamela
    Death-having passed from the living state to being no longer alive

not saying your spirit or soul or what ever doesnt live on, but your body does die and i dont have to be dead to know that.

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Tell me, is the glass half empty or half full?
    my truth would be
    1. if i filled up the glass and drank it half way down i would then say it was half empty because im in th procss of drinking it (someone else may still say half full because they still got half of what they started with)
    2. if i fill it up to the half way point i would then say it half full

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    I see what you're saying, but what if I asked you for the true answer?
    Ok so then tell me... despite what we both see which is THE truth?
    mine of course, because of the way i put the question, but if i never tell you about the one in my pocket we have two different truths (i.e. you have peope willing to die for what they believe is truth, my truth wouldnt matter to them)

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    then i would have to tell you there is no truth, only perception of truth

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Sorry, bad analogy. They're both true.

Keep in mind that we use words to describe what things are, and as long as we all understand the words we speak and hear, then my above statement is accurate.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    ah but if you take away our PERCEPTIONS of the truth, regardless of what they may be, the absolute truth is that you would have 3 apples. My truth is a perception, thus its not what is real. There can only be one genuine truth at any given time. Every unanswered/unanswerable question has a truth. Whether we can ever know that truth is another story.
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    Sorry, bad analogy. They're both true.

Keep in mind that we use words to describe what things are, and as long as we all understand the words we speak and hear, then my above statement is accurate.

Pamela
    Neither is true because they are merely perceptions. What's truth is that the glass is always full (at least in an environment that has an atmosphere, ie: earth) The glass contains half water half air. Just because you don't see the air does not mean its not there. In fact when the glass appears completely empty, its actually full of air. Pouring anything into it merely displaces the air.
    ah but if you take away our PERCEPTIONS of the truth, regardless of what they may be, the absolute truth is that you would have 3 apples. My truth is a perception, thus its not what is real. There can only be one genuine truth at any given time. Every unanswered/unanswerable question has a truth. Whether we can ever know that truth is another story.
    if you take away perceptions of truth you take away people (we all have brains and think base on what we know) that is the only way things can be done. there is no genuine truth

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    If there is no genuine truth then how can anything exist? We came from somewhere right? We did not appear on this earth due to our perceptions... (or did we? hehe) So whatever the story is, its out there and its what took place, thus its THE truth and you cannot change it, because it is what actually happened.
    ok so what is it? if its not know how can it be truth? or the perception of

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    If you smudge an ant with your finger, and the other ants find their friend dead, they understand that he is now a corpse. How and why is something that is beyond their intellect. But its what happened and its the truth.... you smudged him. Perhapse the truth about many and possiby all things is beyond our mental capacity?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast