View Poll Results: Would you be willing to give up some personal freedom in the fight against terrorism?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 66.67%
  • No

5 33.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    Yeah, especially ones that had alterior motives - like ones that show what your vote was.

Pamela
    What are you afraid of being lumped in with some folks who would give up their freedoms for a little bit of security or vis-a-vis.
    Last edited by NRG; 08/15/2005 at 11:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Just as the title suggests.

I am following this lead from Sean Hannity: http://www.hannity.com/

Would you be willing to give up some personal freedom in the fight against terrorism?
    NO FREAKIN WAY...

I want to be totally free to dispose of any so-called terrorist I may find any way I see fit.

I believe they understand brutality. You have to be more brutal than they ever thought of being.....period

Chuck
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Would the personal freedom be returned upon successful completion of the fight?
    I don't know. Maybe, maybe not
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I don't know. Maybe, maybe not
    Well, unlike the herd of the general public who many not pay attention, I read what I vote on. With that, there's no way I'd vote a yea or nea on anything without having background.

The question is vague, and it makes it impossible to truly know. You may find it easy to just answer the question, but not knowing what freedoms would be removed, and whether or not they would ever be restored, I question anyone's ability to give a solid answer.

We must also think ahead, what if the freedoms we give up in retrospect made us weaker? And ultimately led us to lose the war on terror?

One must look at this issue from all angles. And a general hypothetical really doesn't cut it.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    My answer to this poll is:

Depends. I'll agree to getting stopped and have my bags checked at airports, public transit places, as long as the cops are polite and it does not take too long. I'll agree to camera surveillance in public places.

I will disagree if they throw me in jail for 2-3 years (because I look funny, or my name matches some inaccurate list) while they get to my case, or if deep body cavity searches are involved :-).

Almost anyone will agree to minor inconveniences, not major issues. The poll is meaningless.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Depends. I'll agree to getting stopped and have my bags checked at airports, public transit places, as long as the cops are polite and it does not take too long.
    That doesn't qualify. Flying on an airplane is a privelege, not a right. You pay for that privelege but along with the purchase of a ticket comes a standard set of rules.

I don't mind being searched.

I'll agree to camera surveillance in public places.
    You have no right to privacy in a public place, and that's been law for some time so there's nothing you'd be "giving up" here. If I see you in a shopping mall I can take all the pictures I want. I can even publish them wherever I want, save for the cover of specific publications (those not considered news periodicals) or in an advertisement (you must sign for endorsement).

I will disagree if they throw me in jail for 2-3 years (because I look funny, or my name matches some inaccurate list) while they get to my case, or if deep body cavity searches are involved :-).
    You have a right to a fair trial. And though many innocent are convicted (and I think that should result in a nice new house and life for any victim), your peers are the ones determining whether or not you committed a crime.

Profiling isn't legal, and even though that law does get broken, there's no "right" here that would be offered on the table as a "give up."

Almost anyone will agree to minor inconveniences, not major issues. The poll is meaningless.
    Well, I would agree to some major issues, so long as they don't prohibit me from having a quality of life.

Pamela
    DesignExtend.com
    While we sit in or comfy environment voting on ambiguitous polls, please remember that there are a lot of individuals who already made that choice, and many of them lost a lot more than just a few freedoms.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Quote Originally Posted by TheLiveSoundGuy
    While we sit in or comfy environment voting on ambiguitous polls, please remember that there are a lot of individuals who already made that choice, and many of them lost a lot more than just a few freedoms.
    Hear, Hear!

And thank you for pointing out "choice" here. It really bothers me when people argue that soldiers are "forced" here and there. Simple fact is, they volunteered to fight for our country, and it's made quite clear in the oath that you are agreeing to do just that. I admire them for doing so, and honor them all.

I've also heard the argument, "Well, he was going for the GI Bill." While college and trade skills are huge motivating factors (even the armed services have used them as the best kind of bait), it doesn't change the fact that they volunteered to serve the country. No one forced them to join the military (draft is long since gone).

Honor our troops, thank them and live life to the fullest. But please, also realize, that they really are there on their own free will - Uncle Sam didn't force them into the service.

Pamela
    DesignExtend.com
    What made you think I was referencing the military?

Thread Crapper

I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Hear, Hear!

And thank you for pointing out "choice" here. It really bothers me when people argue that soldiers are "forced" here and there. Simple fact is, they volunteered to fight for our country, and it's made quite clear in the oath that you are agreeing to do just that. I admire them for doing so, and honor them all.

I've also heard the argument, "Well, he was going for the GI Bill." While college and trade skills are huge motivating factors (even the armed services have used them as the best kind of bait), it doesn't change the fact that they volunteered to serve the country. No one forced them to join the military (draft is long since gone).

Honor our troops, thank them and live life to the fullest. But please, also realize, that they really are there on their own free will - Uncle Sam didn't force them into the service.

Pamela
    This is the same argument I made in the "Mother Protesting Bush" thread. I could've used you in there, there were a few people who were having a hard time grasping the concept that the military's purpose is to fight, not to offer free educations and trips around the world.
    I'm back!
    What made you think I was referencing the military?
    If you weren't, the same can be said, and should be said, for them.
    I'm back!
    Actually I was, but let's also not forget First Responders, ie; Fire Police. etc. Terrorism is not just in some thirld word country. IMHO Anytime one individual feels threatend by a given situation there is a level of terror involved.

Thread Crapper

Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    This is the same argument I made in the "Mother Protesting Bush" thread. I could've used you in there, there were a few people who were having a hard time grasping the concept that the military's purpose is to fight, not to offer free educations and trips around the world.
    Sad, isn't it? Though we can thank quite a few recruiters for the MISinformation. I've seen them stop teens on the street and make a million promises. Heck, before I enlisted the recruiter tried to paint this beautiful sunset. But having come from a military-history family, I knew what to expect. Unfortunately, an injury kept me from continuing, but just the same, I wasn't looking for a free college ride. I wanted the thrill of doing something purposeful with my life.

And I've heard the arguments about Flint, MI as well. Doesn't change the fact that when you enlist YOU sign that paper, and YOU take that oath. If your word doesn't mean anything, then don't even bother.

Pamela
    DesignExtend.com
    Actually I was, but let's also not forget First Responders, ie; Fire Police. etc. Terrorism is not just in some thirld word country. IMHO Anytime one individual feels threatend by a given situation there is a level of terror involved.
    Lets not! When I lived in Upstate NY (where they're ALL volunteer in the FD) I would get those telemarketing calls - asking for donation. Knowing the the FD only saw about 12% of that, I used the annual calls as a reminder to walk down to the city offices and hand them a check made out directly to the FD.

When I was a reporter a local FD called me - they were saddened that most people didn't realize what they did. Someone donated a house and they torched it, dressed me up in gear and a mask, and walked me through the building. I heard a shout to get out of the building and as we took our last step off the porch, the entire thing caved. Biggest rush of my life and it reminded me what these guys do.

As for the paid Firefighters, EMTs, cops, etc. Arguments there about "Well, they're doing their job."

Sorry, folks, but they as well VOLUNTEERED. And when you see how they put their lives on the line, the pay just doesn't justify what they do. (except for when someone hurls a rock the size of my fist through our window and it takes well over an hour for a response and they never even step in the house - I've a problem with that).

Pamela
    DesignExtend.com
    Sad, isn't it? Though we can thank quite a few recruiters for the MISinformation. I've seen them stop teens on the street and make a million promises. Heck, before I enlisted the recruiter tried to paint this beautiful sunset. But having come from a military-history family, I knew what to expect. Unfortunately, an injury kept me from continuing, but just the same, I wasn't looking for a free college ride. I wanted the thrill of doing something purposeful with my life.

And I've heard the arguments about Flint, MI as well. Doesn't change the fact that when you enlist YOU sign that paper, and YOU take that oath. If your word doesn't mean anything, then don't even bother.

Pamela
    Why do you think it is that recruiters do well during peace time and then not so well during times of war (like now)? Because it's easy to make people believe that they'll spend a year in Ft. Campbell and then a year in Germany and then a year in Okinawa, all while earning a college degree and not firing a weapon except at the range.
    I'm back!
    Why do you think it is that recruiters do well during peace time and then not so well during times of war (like now)? Because it's easy to make people believe that they'll spend a year in Ft. Campbell and then a year in Germany and then a year in Okinawa, all while earning a college degree and not firing a weapon except at the range.
    Exactly. And then when something happens some will claim ignorance. It's like signing a contract to buy a car without reading and understanding the interest rates and late fee structure.

Pamela
    DesignExtend.com
    Exactly. And then when something happens some will claim ignorance. It's like signing a contract to buy a car without reading and understanding the interest rates and late fee structure.

Pamela
    Or my personal fav, become "conscientious objectors". It's easy to become a "conscientious objector" when there are live rounds.

You mean it's a lot like buying something at Dan's and not reading the 30 day return policy?
    I'm back!
    Or my personal fav, become "conscientious objectors". It's easy to become a "conscientious objector" when there are live rounds.

You mean it's a lot like buying something at Dan's and not reading the 30 day return policy?
    You got it. While I hate that we're at war (though I was not a protester) and it saddens me to lose lives, the fact remains that these guys all stepped up to the plate.

Maybe someday we can all reach a happy medium about what we understand. I doubt Michael Moore ever will (and yes, he has points, but his delivery is skewed and many times overreaching).

Pamela
    DesignExtend.com
    You got it. While I hate that we're at war (though I was not a protester) and it saddens me to lose lives, the fact remains that these guys all stepped up to the plate.
    And God bless them for doing so.

Maybe someday we can all reach a happy medium about what we understand. I doubt Michael Moore ever will (and yes, he has points, but his delivery is skewed and many times overreaching).
    Somebody should stuff him with ham and blow him up.

Wait, Matt and Trey already did!
    I'm back!
    Well THAT job's half done!

Thread Crapper

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast