1.    #1  
    U.S. lowers expectations for Iraq

"...The United States no longer expects to see a model new democracy, a self-supporting oil industry or a society where the majority of people are free from serious security or economic challenges, U.S. officials say.

"What we expected to achieve was never realistic given the timetable or what unfolded on the ground," said a senior official involved in policy since the 2003 invasion. "We are in a process of absorbing the factors of the situation we're in and shedding the unreality that dominated at the beginning."..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Great! After wasting the lives and the money the frigging Neo-Cons are forced to admit it was pie in the sky. Great. Well at least Halliburton made lots of money.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Great! After wasting the lives and the money the frigging Neo-Cons are forced to admit it was pie in the sky. Great. Well at least Halliburton made lots of money.
    Dont forget Diebold
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    I thought that admitting mistakes was the first step? Radical lib finally get a bone and still complaining!
    The administration still has NOT admitted any mistakes or deceptions. There were no WMD's, and no al Queda links. Each time infomation has come out contradicting administration statements, the statements miraculously morph to fit the current situation. Bush is incapable of ever admitting he was wrong.

"...The United States no longer expects to see a model new democracy, a self-supporting oil industry or a society where the majority of people are free from serious security or economic challenges, U.S. officials say.

"What we expected to achieve was never realistic given the timetable or what unfolded on the ground," said a senior official involved in policy since the 2003 invasion. "We are in a process of absorbing the factors of the situation we're in and shedding the unreality that dominated at the beginning."..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There will likely never be a proper accounting for this neo-con created catastrophe.

when they eventually skulk away from this terrorist training base that they've built in the sands of iraq, they will blame their successors, Clinton -- anybody but themselves.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/14/op...ich.html?8hpib

...publicly rebuke the Army's chief of staff, Eric Shinseki, after the general dared tell the truth: that several hundred thousand troops would be required to secure Iraq. To this day it's our failure to provide that security that has turned the country into the terrorist haven it hadn't been before 9/11 - "the central front in the war on terror," as Mr. Bush keeps reminding us, as if that might make us forget he's the one who recklessly created it.

Officially this calendar (for withdrawal) is tied to the next round of Iraqi elections, but it's quite another election this administration has in mind. The priority now is ... to save Rick Santorum and every other endangered Republican facing voters in November 2006

Frank Rich NYTimes
    Last edited by BARYE; 08/15/2005 at 02:10 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by zvandiver
    The administration still has NOT admitted any mistakes or deceptions. There were no WMD's, and no al Queda links. Each time infomation has come out contradicting administration statements, the statements miraculously morph to fit the current situation. Bush is incapable of ever admitting he was wrong.

maybe we are to harsh on him -- he has to be smart enough to know he made a mistake before he can admit it ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Look at you guys.. falling for the misinformation spread by the biased "main stream media"

(I hope that is the icon for sarcasm.)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    maybe we are to harsh on him -- he has to be smart enough to know he made a mistake before he can admit it ...
    This is true.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I think it would be sad and bad if this would really be it for Iraq (no irony here)... exchanging Saddam's reign for terrorism and civil war? I hope that's not it yet. I guess the Bush admin is slowly realizing that some cultures and people are even more different from Texans than Californians.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    You guys are so predictable.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I am glad to see this by the Bush admin and at the same time I'm suprised how so many people believed the former position for so long.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 08/15/2005 at 02:37 PM.
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    I am glad to see some public admission of this by the Bush admin and at the same time I'm suprised how many people were oblivious to this for so long.
    Welcome back Cell, where you been?
    been really swamped at work, still am really. but nice to see you!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    I think it would be sad and bad if this would really be it for Iraq (no irony here)... exchanging Saddam's reign for terrorism and civil war? I hope that's not it yet. I guess the Bush admin is slowly realizing that some cultures and people are even more different from Texans than Californians.
    As president he was advised this would likely happen. He chose not to accept this advice.
  15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    been really swamped at work, still am really. but nice to see you!
    Hoprefully your desk will clear soon.