1.    #1  
    I love laptops, so would i be cheatin myself if i bought a G4 powerbook, instead of a G5 desktop? price isnt an issue. Will they soon have G5 powerbooks? Is the performance level between the two noticably different? I hear about tiger this and different animals that, what is it all about? is there an apple forum of some sorts that could help?

Just tierd of windows, need a change

Thanks in advance
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Do you want portability? If so get the Powerbook (even the iBooks now come with 512MB and internal BT.)

I haven't moved up to a G5 yet, still have my Dual G4, along with an iBook. It'll take some learning to get used to though, especially if you're fond of Right Clicking...(there are work arounds, but old habits are hard to break)

Tiger is the latest version of OS X (10.4)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I've been using my PowerBook 1.67 with 2 gigs ram since April, and it is nice. I use mostly Excel and Word and they both work well. I love the 17" screen and the lack of thickness and relative lightness. It was simple to set up the internet and network with my Windows PC at home. I also use the BT wireless between my Treo and the PB.

I do not like the one button mouse, lack of software in comparison to windows (although I did purchase Virtual PC to runs Windows on it) and it was substantially more expensive than a Micrsoft driven laptop. I honestly still haven't gotten used to the change. It will help when my Dell finally dies or I simply replace it with a desktop Mac.

The best forum for Macs (and I visited them all) is macrumors.
    depends if you do a lot of computationally intensive work, if so, then get a G5 desktop, they just upgraded recently. If you do not do a lot of video editing or photoshop work, you probably can get by fine with a G4 laptop. Powerbooks like Advances are sweet, but ibooks just upgraded recently and are quite competitively priced now.

The G5 processor in the desktop is fluid cooled and bulky, no way it is getting into a laptop. That's the main reason Apple started using Intel chips was to be able to make the laptop power leap with a cooler chip. But the switch just happened and while I am sure apple is working hard on this, it is a major shift in development. I would be surprised to see a G5 powerbook before well into 2006.

Macrumors has a nice buyer's guide, I agree you should check it out.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks all . i do video editing (with home movies and such, backup my dvd collection, and im just now getting into editing photos via photoshop a bit overwhelming though) my laptop seems to handle all this fine (hp zd7000 Intel Pent. 4 3.40GHz w/HT , 17in widescreen, 128 NVIDIA Geforce , 1.0GB DDR SDRAM 2*512MB) isnt the G4 powerbook comparable if not better? I just dont wanna have to buy another computer for about 3 or 4 yrs.

P.S.
    why are the GHz on power books lower than on like say mine? i thought they were more powerful. i know im probably missing something

Again Thankyou ALL

Insertion your latest avatars kill me, LMAO (your like a shape shifter of sorts)

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    Thanks all . i do video editing (with home movies and such, backup my dvd collection, and im just now getting into editing photos via photoshop a bit overwhelming though) my laptop seems to handle all this fine (hp zd7000 Intel Pent. 4 3.40GHz w/HT , 17in widescreen, 128 NVIDIA Geforce , 1.0GB DDR SDRAM 2*512MB) isnt the G4 powerbook comparable if not better? I just dont wanna have to buy another computer for about 3 or 4 yrs.

P.S.
    why are the GHz on power books lower than on like say mine? i thought they were more powerful. i know im probably missing something

Again Thankyou ALL

Insertion your latest avatars kill me, LMAO (your like a shape shifter of sorts)
    Macs come with pretty decent Video and Audio editing software installed (or on the iLife DVD.) I do Audio work on my Macs, with ProTools myself.

As to clock speed, that's only a measure of frequency and not processing power.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Great question about the ghz question. Do a search for that question on macrumors, but it has something to do with Apple making the hardware and OS. I am sure someone may have the definitive answer. In the real world, my 1.67 Mac is faster than my 2.8 PC. I did buy mine for home video editing, although I still haven't purchased my digital video camera yet.

P.S.

Again Thankyou ALL

8.    #8  
    Thanks a bunch. off to the mac forums i go

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    I love laptops, so would i be cheatin myself if i bought a G4 powerbook, instead of a G5 desktop? price isnt an issue. Will they soon have G5 powerbooks? Is the performance level between the two noticably different? I hear about tiger this and different animals that, what is it all about? is there an apple forum of some sorts that could help?
    I switched to the Mac 4 years ago when the PowerBook G4 was released. Have never looked back. I sold it last year and bought one of the newer 15" models.

If you're going to do any traveling, may as well get a PowerBook. The 17" model is too big unless you always fly business class, and the 12" has too low a resolution to be usable for any serious graphics work. I recommend buying direct from Apple so you can max the hard drive and video memory, but don't buy regular memory from them. I used www.18004memory.com and bought another 512MB stick.

Tiger refers to the codename for Mac OS X 10.4, similar to how Longhorn was the codename for the upcoming Windows Vista.

Because Macs currently use a different processor than PCs, it's difficult to do a speed comparison based on its clockspeed (megahertz).

You'll love it. Congrats on making the switch!
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    if you do a lot of editing, i would recommend sticking with a desk top. i have both a powerbook and a dual 1.8 g5, and love the portability of the laptop, but most of the year i am in my office. i edit onsite about two weeks a year, so it works out better for me.
    it's not a crack house, it's a crack home.