Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 144
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Woof, I was called a commieby one of them. I can't state this clear enough for some of you folks THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH POLITICS! This has everything to do with the ultimate price some are paying for their country.
    It looks like it's all about you and your opinion. I have posted some great Tribute videos. Why not let that stand as a reminder of whats going on, and stop calling people that have points of view that are different then yours Un-American.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  2. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
       #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    It looks like it's all about you and your opinion. I have posted some great Tribute videos. Why not let that stand as a reminder, and stop calling people that have points of view that are different then yours Un-American.
    Claire, you seem to think that I am the one dragging this down. You fail to realize that my opinion or yours has nothing to do with this. The videos and such that you posted are touching and they have there place in this thread.

    P.S. Please point out where I calling people unamerican.
  3. #63  
    Oh ok. Good thing youre doing this. I had no idea anyone had been killed .

    The MSM is doing a far better job of this. You act like youre the only one telling anybody about this. It's not like the country thinks only 237 trrops have been kileed. We're all aware it 1800+.

    Find something constructive to do. Plant a garden or something. And I don't buy that your intent is not political, not for a second. Threads about the war are political by nature.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  4. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
       #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Oh ok. Good thing youre doing this. I had no idea anyone had been killed .

    The MSM is doing a far better job of this. You act like youre the only one telling anybody about this. It's not like the country thinks only 237 trrops have been kileed. We're all aware it 1800+.

    Find something constructive to do. Plant a garden or something. And I don't buy that your intent is not political, not for a second. Threads about the war are political by nature.
    This thread is about the soldiers and the price they have paid,what their families have paid, and what our country has paid as a whole.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    This thread is about the soldiers and the price they have paid,what their families have paid, and what our country has paid as a whole.
    and in no way is that a politically charged issue. ok

    listing of reports of casualties from the military don't tell me anthing about the individual, their family or anything else. They tell me someone died. I can get that in my paper. This is a waste of bandwidth.

    Next you'll say youre doing this for the troops and their familes, or maybe you already have. Looking for some sort of recognition from someone else's loss is sick.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  6. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
       #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    and in no way is that a politically charged issue. ok

    listing of reports of casualties from the military don't tell me anthing about the individual, their family or anything else. They tell me someone died. I can get that in my paper. This is a waste of bandwidth.

    Next you'll say youre doing this for the troops and their familes, or maybe you already have. Looking for some sort of recognition from someone else's loss is sick.
    I am not looking for some sort of recognition as you put it. You folks can contribute to this thread just as Claire has done, which by the way is great. Again this thread has nothing to do with politics!
  7. #67  
    Nrg,

    How many threads about Iraq is enough? Pathetic.

    How bout a solution to the war that you feel is unjust and run terribly? Seriously, give us your gameplan if you were in charge. Would it simply be bring home the boys and that's it? All I see from your posts are shameless jabs...
  8. #68  
    I think a few peeps might like this.

    View
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I am not looking for some sort of recognition as you put it. You folks can contribute to this thread just as Claire has done, which by the way is great. Again this thread has nothing to do with politics!
    No?
    I am starting this thread to remember our fallen soldiers in these wars that we are now involved with. We now stand at 1,847 or more deaths in Iraq.

    May all below rest in peace.
    Perhaps instead, a thread to remember our fallen soldiers.....

    Why must you point out that you are starting it. We know it's you, the board software tells us so. Your use of I in this case just says "look at me" to many of us. It's also as if your are saying no one will remember the fallen without your prompting. Thanks for helping us to understand what we need to be doing and how to do it.

    I'm with the rest of the posters here. We have enough Iraq threads, several of which have been started by you. Youre getting to be almost as bad as nudist with this stuff.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  10. #70  
    I don't think anyone here can accuse me of being a right-winger (though sadly I've been mistaken for a left-winger) but quite honestly NRG, I have to agree with the folks here that this thread does not serve any purpose. I'll be the first to agree with you that this war was not necessary, but listing all the statistics of their deaths in not the way to remember our fallen soldiers. I have close friends and family who are putting their lives on the line as we speak, but I don't want to see them as a "statistic" to satisfy a political objective. And the others are right, we have the media push these numbers in our face everyday whether we want to know about it or not.
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I am starting this thread to remember our fallen soldiers in these wars that we are now involved with. We now stand at 1,847 or more deaths in Iraq.

    May all below rest in peace.
    Since you are talking about just American casualties below, I believe your source for that number is wrong: http://www.antiwar.com/casualties/

    Even adding in British figures doesn't get close to yours. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3847051.stm

    Where are you sourcing these figures?
  12. #72  
    If you want to continually read politics into everything, even a simple I support our troops yellow ribbon can be read as saying "I support the war" by some.

    But those who died in service for our country deserve every mention and honor we can give to them and this thread, just like the little yellow ribbons, honors them each in its own way.

    There is nothing wrong with this. I think it would be even better to mention the names of the people and where they are from. They deserve all we can do to remember them.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 08/14/2005 at 04:39 PM.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    If you want to continually read politics into everything, even a simple I support our troops yellow ribbon can be read as saying "I support the war" by some.

    But those who died in service for our country deserve every mention and honor we can give to them and this thread, just like the little yellow ribbons, honors them each in its own way.

    There is nothing wrong with this.
    Somehow I don't think copy and pasting a news release on a bomb going off and injuring someone (& not saying who) helps at all. Check out nrg's first quote... Maybe giving a background on the soldier (like cbs evening news does) would be more appropriate. The cold factual data on military releases are just that.

    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    NEWS RELEASE
    HEADQUARTERS UNITED STATES CENTRAL COMMAND
    7115 South Boundary Boulevard
    MacDill AFB, Fla. 33621-5101
    Phone: (813) 827-5894; FAX: (813) 827-2211; DSN 651-5894

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    June 28, 2005
    Release Number: 05-06-39C


    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE


    TASK FORCE LIBERTY SOLDIER KILLED

    TIKRIT, Iraq – A Task Force Liberty Soldier was killed when a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device detonated near a combat patrol west of Tikrit at about 4:15 p.m. June 28.

    Two Soldiers were wounded in the attack and are being treated for non-life-threatening wounds at a Coalition Forces medical facility.

    The name of the deceased is being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

    The incident is under investigation.

    Text for release and opsec review provided by the 42ND Infantry Division Public Affairs Office. For more information, please contact 42 ID PAO at fortysecond.id.pao@us.army.MIL.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Somehow I don't think copy and pasting a news release on a bomb going off and injuring someone (& not saying who) helps at all. Check out nrg's first quote... Maybe giving a background on the soldier (like cbs evening news does) would be more appropriate. The cold factual data on military releases are just that.
    yes, you read my mind, I was just changing my post to say this too!
  15. #75  
    NRG changed the first sentence of his original post. It used to say, "unnecessary".

    QUOTE=NRG]The shrill angry right. Don't you 2 have something better to do, like waving a flag or calling people unamerican?[/QUOTE]

    I've lost two good friends in this war. Two good men that on their worst day were worth tens of thousands of your ilk. Your only connection to this war is that you see political advantage in their deaths.

    We've come a long way in the past thirty years. It used to be people like you would have to hang out at the airport to spit on returning veterans. Now you can do it virutally. Probably a lot safer that way for you.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Look, you all seem to be pretty angry about this thread. This thread was started with the purpose of bring the deaths of our military to light. You won't get to see these types of things on TV, read about them in the newspaper, or hear it on the radio. I started this thread for a real look at what america is sacrificing. I am sorry if I offended any of you. This thread was not started for political purposes, it was started to make some aware of what prices we are really paying and to motivate some of you to do something, be it sending care packages, talking about it maybe even getting involved at some level. Again sorry if I offended any of you.

    P.S. If these deaths make you angry you shouldn't be directing it at me.
    BS...nice backpeddle and very adroit edit on your original post.
  17. #77  
    You might remember this from Superbowl Sunday

    See It
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    You might be wrong on stating I am in the minority. Recent polls show I am in the majority.


    "In view of the developments since we first sent our troops to Iraq, do you think the United States made a mistake in sending troops to Iraq, or not?" Form A (N=481, MoE ± 5)

    Made a Mistake%54 Did Not Make a Mistake%44 Unsure%2


    "All in all, do you think it was worth going to war in Iraq, or not?" Form B (N=523, MoE ± 5)

    Worth Going To War%44 Not Worth Going To War%54 Unsure%2

    http://www.pollingreport.com/iraq.htm
    Hey, where are the standard replies saying how CNN/USA Today/Gallup polls are biased and garbage? Or that they only poll angry Liberals... hehe


  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    NRG changed the first sentence of his original post. It used to say, "unnecessary".
    I've lost two good friends in this war. Two good men that on their worst day were worth tens of thousands of your ilk. Your only connection to this war is that you see political advantage in their deaths.

    We've come a long way in the past thirty years. It used to be people like you would have to hang out at the airport to spit on returning veterans. Now you can do it virutally. Probably a lot safer that way for you.
    I agree with you about honoring our vets, we could do a lot more for them than we do actually, we should be increasing VA funding, not cutting it.

    Getting back to your point, you make it sound like the left does a jig every time one of our people dies. But I think you just do not see the other side's view on this. If you were totally in favor of the war and thought it was well conceived and being fought well and helping America's interests, then if some of the troops had to die for it, you would be sad for sure, but you would at least have some reassurance that they died for a good cause.

    But, if you had doubts about the reason for this war and about the way it has been handled since it began, and if you have doubts about what it is doing for America, then would that make you less sad about the deaths of our American troops? If anything it would make you more sad. And you do not have this feeling of reassurance that the war is actually worth the cost.

    So believe me, the left is not doing a jig, I think the left is much more bummed out about the whole situation than the right.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 08/14/2005 at 08:18 PM.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    So believe me, the left is not doing a jig, I think the left is much more bummed out about the whole situation than the right.
    i'm more cynical cellmatrix - i think that both the left and the right are using the war to score political points rather than actually caring about the true situation.

    trying to question and embarass the administration with the death statistics is a cheap shot from the left, and they continue to be unrealistic about the issues of pulling out of Iraq.

    on the other hand the right seems to take it as an affront that anyone even has the temerity to question the administration on whether we should have gone into Iraq in the first place. Questioning the government is not the same as questioning your patriotism, nor does it show lack of support for our soldiers.
    I'm reminded of Mark twain's quotation:
    "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it"
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions