Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chillig35
    and talking about PC, my poll on Jewel Appleford was closed because it was considered as harassing a new member

Is that what you were told???
    I'm back!
    are you serious??
    Unfortunately. I read it somewhere online, but I don't remember where. Serious Googlers would probably be able to find it in a couple of clicks.

It wasn't on some crazy left or right winged website, it would've been on my local newspaper's website (www.sun-sentinel.com) or on MSNBC's or CNN's or Fox's website.

They were saying how red denotes failure and is confrontational so they were switching to green or blue or something.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Is that what you were told???
    Yep. I did use the words "blonde bimbo"

We know that's just not PC!!

Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    Yep. I did use the words "blonde bimbo"

We know that's just not PC!!

Ugh. Another case of PC raising it's ugly head.
    I'm back!
    She didn't seem too upset about it...
    Heh. I am many things, but being PC has never been one of them! Thanks for the laugh.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    She didn't seem too upset about it...
    Well, that's the thing about PC, it's always someone other than the intended person who gets upset.

They think you need them to defend you.

Isn't that the whole point of the ACLU, to get offended when others don't?

This sounds like the NCAA banning Native American mascots thing. The Seminole Tribe of Florida seems to like their relationship with Florida State, the NCAA should have no business trying to interfere with that.

But Native Americans don't know what's good for them, so the NCAA will take care of that for them.
    I'm back!
    I really like everyone on the board but I was offended by the bimbo thing and think the post should be deleted. I was also offended by the video of the man in Iraq being shot. Sometimes I even get a little embarrassed by the things that Insertion says. I get mad when people curse in public, especially if its around my kids. I'm still mad about a comment that was made to Claire months ago, call me old fashioned or what ever you like but I think if a member has something negative to say to another member they should do it in a PM if they cant do in a professional manner. I like to read these boards and would hate to stop just because members think its appropriate to degrading one another.

Don't get me wrong I don't go around getting offended all the time I think my disposition is pretty normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    I really like everyone on the board but I was offended by the bimbo thing and think the post should be deleted. I was also offended by the video of the man in Iraq being shot. Sometimes I even get a little embarrassed by the things that Insertion says. I get mad when people curse in public, especially if its around my kids. I'm still mad about a comment that was made to Claire months ago, call me old fashioned or what ever you like but I think if a member has something negative to say to another member they should do it in a PM if they cant do in a professional manner. I like to read these boards and would hate to stop just because members think its appropriate to degrading one another.

Don't get me wrong I don't go around getting offended all the time I think my disposition is pretty normal.
    Not to pick on you James, I normally agree with most of what you have to say, but you're a perfect example of my previous post about PC'ers getting offended when the target doesn't.

You were offended at the bimbo thing when "Jewel" wasn't, you were offended by the video when, at least by the time I saw the thread (I don't know if it was edited to add the warning or not), there was a warning before the link saying that the video was pretty explicit, you are embarrassed by some of Insertion's posts, even though none of them have been directed at you, and you were mad because of something said to Claire, and probably gave it more thought than she did.

I think these are good reasons why PC has gone too far and why there is a backlash against anything considered too-PC.
    I'm back!
    Tom Cruise offends me...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Things are judged offensive based on averaged norms and not whether the target of the offense in offended.

The issue is abusing the rights of all who may experience the offense whether they are the target or not.

The offender does not have the right to infringe on others rights.
    Things are judged offensive based on averaged norms and not whether the target of the offense in offended.
    I'll successfully challenge "averaged norms" any time. There is a level of social acceptability that is far different than an average norm. Most of the people in the "blonde bimbo" thread were not offended by it. Two people were. I'd say that falls below average.

The issue is abusing the rights of all who may experience the offense whether they are the target or not.
    No one's rights were abused, I don't believe there were any Constitutional freedoms infringed by his choice of words. This is another case of the small minority managing the expectations of the majority.

Again, no one's rights were infringed. "Jewel" would be the first one to complain and didn't. Unless you are a blonde bimbo, which I'm pretty sure you aren't, I don't feel you have the right to be offended.
    I'm back!

I'm curious - what would be the average norms here on TC?

And Paul - I agree with you on some aspects - we do need to have a civilized discourse here on TC, but satire (even if it gets a bit mordant at times) is usually considered acceptable as long as it is taken in the right spirit. And of course anyone has the right to not read a particular thread/link or as Insertion has suggested, to use the "ignore user" function.
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    I'll successfully challenge "averaged norms" any time. There is a level of social acceptability that is far different than an average norm. Most of the people in the "blonde bimbo" thread were not offended by it. Two people were. I'd say that falls below average..
    Its impossible to know who is offended.

No one's rights were abused, I don't believe there were any Constitutional freedoms infringed by his choice of words. This is another case of the small minority managing the expectations of the majority..
    There are more rights than the basic ones.

Again, no one's rights were infringed. "Jewel" would be the first one to complain and didn't. Unless you are a blonde bimbo, which I'm pretty sure you aren't, I don't feel you have the right to be offended.
    The offended wont always come forward.
    Its impossible to know who is offended.
    True. One person has admitted to not appreciating it and one mod closed the thread, whether or not he was offended by it.

I don't mean to sound like I'm singling you out, because I don't mean to, but I'm a firm believer that this PC wave has gone way too far, and I sincerely hope we can now see the high water mark.
    I'm back!
    I'm curious - what would be the average norms here on TC?

And Paul - I agree with you on some aspects - we do need to have a civilized discourse here on TC, but satire (even if it gets a bit mordant at times) is usually considered acceptable as long as it is taken in the right spirit. And of course anyone has the right to not read a particular thread/link or as Insertion has suggested, to use the "ignore user" function.
    I am a big fan of the humor on this board. I think we have a good system if someone is offended they can ask a moderator to look in to it. I love the variety of communication here and dont want to ignore a member.
    I have a question - somebody referred to the blond b**** as the "oakie". I remember from my Steinbeck reading that used to be a derogatory term in the past. Is it PC to use that now?

True. One person has admitted to not appreciating it and one mod closed the thread, whether or not he was offended by it.

I don't mean to sound like I'm singling you out, because I don't mean to, but I'm a firm believer that this PC wave has gone way too far, and I sincerely hope we can now see the high water mark.
    I agree the PC stuff I hear about is ridiculous
    gotta go, if I dont get some work done the wife will start rethinking her choices
    I have a question - somebody referred to the blond b**** as the "oakie". I remember from my Steinbeck reading that used to be a derogatory term in the past. Is it PC to use that now?

Wasnt Henry Fonda in that movie??
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Wasnt Henry Fonda in that movie??
    Hang on we're making a left, and heading for Jane!

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self