Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    What's racist about it? Looking forward to your answer.
    Nothing. That's the problem in this country. You can't say anything about anyone without a knee-jerk reaction. Want to close, or at least enforce the border? You're racist (anti-Mexican.) If you're against Gay Marriage, you're a homo-phobe (even though due to your beliefs, the institution of marriage is man and woman), etc...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    I can think of things a lot worse to call someone than "Caribbean".
    Exactly. So, I guess when I refer to my mom as a Japanese woman, or even Asian, I'm being racist...

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    You know, the sad thing is, if you were say a radio broadcaster for, perhaps a baseball team...oh, I dunno, maybe somewhere in the Northern part of California, and you were to make an ethnic (but in no way racist) remark like that, you could get fired.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8891205/
    Yeah, but calling somebody a brain-dead Caribbean isn't the same as saying most people have curly hair in certain regions (of the world). I have been working in East Africa for almost a year, and I can assure you nobody would have a problem with that there. They would be surprised to learn it could be a problem for anybody. Maybe it is even racist to take offence, because it could mean to connect "curly hair" with "negative"? I don't make that connection.

If I would ask "where do most if not all Europeans have white skin?" and I answer "everywhere", would that be racist? Not funny because it doesn't make you think of the "wrong" thing, but certainly not racist.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Exactly. So, I guess when I refer to my mom as a Japanese woman, or even Asian, I'm being racist...
    Maybe if you say Japanese have almond-shaped eyes...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    No...Oriental is the racist term
    Yeah, but calling somebody a brain-dead Caribbean isn't the same as saying most people have curly hair in certain regions (of the world). I have been working in East Africa for almost a year, and I can assure you nobody would have a problem with that there. They would be surprised to learn it could be a problem for anybody. Maybe it is even racist to take offence, because it could mean to connect "curly hair" with "negative"? I don't make that connection.

If I would ask "where do most if not all Europeans have white skin?" and I answer "everywhere", would that be racist? Not funny because it doesn't make you think of the "wrong" thing, but certainly not racist.
    I think the brain dead part was secondary. There is no country called Brain Dead. There is an area known as the Carribean. He was fired for his "racially tinged comments"

Quoting Giants Manager Alou who "resigned from his regular radio show with the station and warned his players to be on the lookout for racial prejudice in San Francisco."
    “I want people to understand that it’s a social issue,” Alou said. “I want to make people aware of that so they will know that in the United States, it won’t be tolerated.”
    This has nothing to do with the brain dead comment. Had the broadcaster only said that, it would not have mattered this much.

Maybe if you say Japanese have almond-shaped eyes...
    Well, they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    No...Oriental is the racist term
    I know it's not PC, but is it really "racist"?

There are lots of offensive slang words for Asians, but is Oriental really one of them?
    I'm back!
    This has nothing to do with the brain dead comment. Had the broadcaseter only said that, it would not have mattered this much.
    Don't forget he also got bent out of shape over the seemingly mild "Cream of Wheat" comment as well.

Probably because it was directed at him.
    I'm back!
    Well, they do.
    You know what's funny? Most people here would be shocked if somebody refers to Sub-Saharan Africans as belonging to this tribe or that. I thought so as well. But the first time I was checking in into a guest-house in Tansania, I had to fill in "Name, Date of Birth, Tribe" - it's the most normal thing there.
    I know it's not PC, but is it really "racist"?

There are lots of offensive slang words for Asians, but is Oriental really one of them?
    Honestly, I don't know. I was told not to refer to myself as Oriental anymore. I never really questioned it...
    What's racist about it? Looking forward to your answer.
    Not sure it is. Political correctness crowd, depending on who says it would likely label it as racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    Honestly, I don't know. I was told not to refer to myself as Oriental anymore. I never really questioned it...
    I never really thought of it as racist, just as a non-PC term.
    I'm back!
    the ridiculousness extremes to which the leftists have taken political correctness is one of the reasons for the current conservative backlash (i mean c'mon, do we really have to spell woman as womyn??). on the other hand the conservative fanatics are now bent on replacing PC with RC (religious correctness)
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    Quote Originally Posted by chillig35
    (i mean c'mon, do we really have to spell woman as womyn??).
    Only if you want to be a certified whack job.
    I'm back!
    on the other hand the conservative fanatics are now bent on replacing PC with RC (religious correctness)
    Well, that's just as bad.

i think most of the PC folks have forgotten the difference something that's clearly derogatory versus something that can be "perceived as potentially damaging to person's self-esteem".

we need Lenny Bruce again *sigh*

"The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    i think most of the PC folks have forgotten the difference something that's clearly derogatory versus something that can be "perceived as potentially damaging to person's self-esteem".
    You mean like some school systems forbiddng teachers from using red ink because it has a negative connotation?

I'm back!
    and talking about PC, my poll on Jewel Appleford was closed because it was considered as harassing a new member

You mean like some school systems forbiddng teachers from using red ink because it has a negative connotation?

are you serious??
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast