Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 226
  1. #181  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLiveSoundGuy
    Guess I'll be the first.

    While this is true, let's not forget that it is the INTERNAL world that CONTROLS the external world. If you have solid control over that, then you should be able to handle whatever the external world throws at you.

    That was the only sentence is had issue with. I actually agree with most of what you stated.

    -peace
    This couldn't be any closer to what one should realize here. If one had better internal control (ie: logical control, resistance to temptation), would one continue to use derogatory language?

    And while your point is completely valid you need to look at it from this angle: Let's just say for arguments sake I used the "N" word here very casually, as one could if he "really" wanted to. Perhaps it wouldn't offend you. But surely someone would chime in and hand my arse to me... They would have every right to be offended whether they chime in or not. Their feelings and whatever reason for them are completely valid. Yes, how they react to them is up to them, but why would I want to invite this potential conflict? Where is the logic?

    It seems that derogatory words are risky to use, like a faulty obsolete tool of some sort. They serve no real purpose other than to create liabilities, pressure, and make it's user seem unintelligent. Is calling someone a "blonde bimbo" in any way constructive, positive, or even, truly humorous?

    I'd like to add that language is very dangerous, as it is the vessel that gets our thoughts inside one another. It comes in all forms and flavors. Within all forms and flavors there are redundant, broken, jagged parts that cause nothing but damage to both parties when used. Why be destructive?
    .
  2. #182  
    Quote Originally Posted by chillig35
    why? it wasn't directed at you - and the person it was directed at was obviously trolling and was in fact trying to hurt somebody's business with a totally false claim. Most folks on here picked up on that pretty quickly and had quite a few less-than-complimentary things to say about her/him.
    You need to re-read my post. Some people (not necessarily the person it's directed towards) have certain feelings attached to certain things, tangible and not... a simple fact of life. Be more sensitive. Would it kill you to do so?

    Quote Originally Posted by chillig35
    which individual?
    I guess I don't count then. That's funny... if I don't count then why did you have to tell me the statment wasn't directed at me. Strange...


    Re-read my post, lather, rinse, repeat. Till it soaks in.
    .
  3. #183  
    I'll throw in my double Lincoln coins...

    I'll agree that we should always be civil in our discussions here or in person. While I can't personally be offended, I can't seem to be so detached when it comes to my little girls. I know if someone called one of my girls "this name" in real life, I'd have to actively restrain myself.

    The events surrounding this person's posts are beside the point. We should all write to each other in here as we would speak to each other in person. Being polite is not hard. Adults can do it.

    Thick or thin skins is a poor way of looking at adult conversations. My ideas are not in my skin. My thoughts are not in my skin. Trash what I say all you want. Ad hominem attacks aren't intelligent, productive, mature, or necessary.
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
  4. #184  
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    You need to re-read my post. Some people (not necessarily the person it's directed towards) have certain feelings attached to certain things, tangible and not... a simple fact of life. Be more sensitive. Would it kill you to do so?

    I guess I don't count then. That's funny... if I don't count then why did you have to tell me the statment wasn't directed at me. Strange...


    Re-read my post, lather, rinse, repeat. Till it soaks in.
    sorry there was so much blather I must have missed the crux of your argument. I must say that you're the first person I've seen who equates the word bimbo with the N word. It's also obvious that you're clueless about slang usage or don't understand satire:
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    I thought hitting on women was illegal in the US...

    You brutes! Go rough up someone with the same genitalia.
    why don't you go hide under your shell?

    btw ...i find your heterophobic insinuations offensive!

    .
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
  5. #185  
    bim·bo (bĭm')
    n., pl. -bos.




    1. Slang. A woman regarded as vacuous or as having an exaggerated interest in her sexual appeal.
    2. Slang. A vacuous person: “a male bimbo … who even has to be tutored … in the clichés that comprise the basic interview” (George F. Will).
    The noun bimbo has one meaning:

    Meaning #1: a young woman indulged by rich and powerful older men

    A bimbo is a term that emerged in the English language in the late 20th century as a popular term for a stupid and pliable woman. As it derives from Italian language words of male gender, it first emerged into English (probably through the United Kingdom Italianate underworld slang known as Polari) referring to stupid men; though it now is understood to connote a woman unless one says "male bimbo" (sometimes contracted to "mimbo", or "himbo"), some prefer the explicitly female variant bimbette, which has also entered the The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. Others distinguish between the words to use "bimbette" to mean a woman either younger or stupider than a "bimbo". The word "bimbo" is sometimes interpreted as the backronym "body impressive, brain optional".
    nowhere is this word referred to as vulgar or obscene or inflammatory or an epithet. yes it is derogatory - but so are words like dumb, stupid, vacuous, naive....would "dumb blonde" be any less offensive if it wasn't directed at you?
    get a grip folks!

    .
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
  6.    #186  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    She didn't seem too upset about it...
    Thing is that I have 2 older brothers, so I got over the whole name-calling, dead leg puching thing since elementary school. I do appreciate some of you members emailing me welcoming me in. Some of you have wierd imaginations but that's cool with me. I really like the women on this forum...they keep it really cool!

    Now its time to get some driving range time in. Yes, girls can golf!
    Last edited by jewel appleford; 08/11/2005 at 08:08 PM.
  7. #187  
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel appleford
    Thing is that I was 2 older brothers,....
    You are a Siamese twin??



    You must wax them cause I dont see any hair on them
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  8. #188  
    You have just positioned yourself into one of the characters I orginally outlined in my note/disclaimer above my post.

    I really can't thank you enough for subjecting yourself as the prime example.

    Oh and thanks for the tip about the "Ignore user" button. Never saw a reason to use it before till this very moment. Bye bye.
    Last edited by skillllllz; 08/11/2005 at 08:20 PM.
    .
  9. #189  
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
  10.    #190  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    You are a Siamese twin??



    You must wax them cause I dont see any hair on them
    LOL!!!!! What a difference a word makes...hhaha They are pretty damn cute...double date?
  11.    #191  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanDad
    I'll throw in my double Lincoln coins...

    I'll agree that we should always be civil in our discussions here or in person. While I can't personally be offended, I can't seem to be so detached when it comes to my little girls. I know if someone called one of my girls "this name" in real life, I'd have to actively restrain myself.

    The events surrounding this person's posts are beside the point. We should all write to each other in here as we would speak to each other in person. Being polite is not hard. Adults can do it.

    Thick or thin skins is a poor way of looking at adult conversations. My ideas are not in my skin. My thoughts are not in my skin. Trash what I say all you want. Ad hominem attacks aren't intelligent, productive, mature, or necessary.
    Your are a true man...didn't think they existed too much here in the westcoast.
  12. #192  
    Ya better go Tee off...cya later
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  13. #193  
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel appleford
    Your are a true man...
    I'm in the mid-west.
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
  14.    #194  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanDad
    I'm in the mid-west.

    Ahhh, well that explains it.
  15. #195  
    Apparently chillig35 does not understand the simple difference between entries in a dictionary and the feelings attached to something via life experiences. What if I was blond? What if I had people call me a bimbo all the time, regardless of reason? I think I would resent that as much as resenters(<-I know, not a real word) of the "n" word would. The feeling is the same. You are no one to invalidate another human beings feelings. I understand satire. I do no understand the inability to have compation for your fellow man.

    Also please do not drag in things people have said in other threads or forums. Instead provide a link to that thread so you do not take their post out of context in a feeble attempt to tarnish them.
    Last edited by skillllllz; 08/11/2005 at 08:25 PM.
    .
  16. #196  
    *sigh*
    where is dat monkey when you need him?
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
  17. #197  
    If we are going to continue to use that example, by using the letter "N" is to imply that we all know what "word" the letter represents. By utterence of just the letter, one might as well use the entire word. The slang meaning associated with the word can not be removed by removing all letters except one. Therefore one could become offended by just the letter. Extreme? Yes but that was chilli's point. The difference between satire and intent.

    Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

    I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self
    .



  18. #198  
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    Apparently chillig35 does not understand the simple difference between entries in a dictionary and the feelings attached to something via life experiences. What if I was blond? What if I had people call me a bimbo all the time, regardless of reason? I think I would resent that as much as resenters(<-I know, not a real word) of the "n" word would. The feeling is the same. You are no one to invalidate another human beings feelings. I understand satire. I do no understand the inability to have compation for your fellow man.

    Also please do not drag in things people have said in other threads or forums. Instead provide a link to that thread so you do not take their post out of context in a feeble attempt to tarnish them.
    Ugh. Thanks for proving my point here:

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=127
    I'm back!
  19. #199  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Ugh. Thanks for proving my point here:

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=127
    well well well ... a little support from the right-wing now!
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
  20. #200  
    That's fine if you believe that. I'm not asking for political correctness. I'm asking for people to be logical. If you can give me one clear concise reason to use derogatory language as casually as everyone does, I will not only agree with you, but I promise to use only derogatory language when addressing you.
    .
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions