Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253031323334353637 LastLast
Results 681 to 700 of 727
  1. #681  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    Cardio – I've always favored closing unneeded, surplus facilities.

    And if communities are aggressive and creative in responding to closings, for most places its been in the long run, an opportunity.

    My community (which is not really Washington DC, but the 10-15 blocks around Walter Reed) will be fine I'm sure -- though inevitably they'll be a period of adjustment and relocation, and some are going to suffer.

    Bases should be closed when they are unneeded. But expenses and savings need to be honestly calculated.

    You've probably seen this NY Times report on base closings -- and how the way that savings is calculated is wildly exaggerated.

    "federal investigators...concluded that nearly half of the Pentagon's projected savings came from cuts in military jobs that, in many cases, would simply be reassigned to other installations."

    The Pentagon can't be allowed to book a 10 yr. projected saving of a billion dollars in salaries etc. -- when those jobs are still going to be performed but at another location. Plus the expense of base cleanups, and the new construction inevitably required at the new relocated sites must be included.

    Unfortunately politics continues to play a warping role in the process.

    How else to explain not deactivating the "Thune" B-1 base in S. Dakota.

    A flying turkey, The B-1 should never have been built for a mission that never existed.

    The mission for which that base has now been saved, the true reason it wasn't closed -- is to protect the senate career of repugnican John Thune -- who would most certainly have lost his Senate seat if S. Dakota had lost its second largest employer.

    That base and that plane, should have been shutdown.

    I have lots of other ideas for defense program budget cuts I’d advocate – but perhaps that deserves its own thread...


    (BTW, I'm still baffled how moving a place that provides what everyone agrees is already the world's best care for injured and maimed soldiers, will be a benefit to them. Where they are now is a campus dedicated their care -– no matter how much is spent on constructing new buildings in Bethesda, it won’t be the same.)

    Please start that thread and share your expert wisdom on defense issues with us.
    Last edited by 1911sforever; 08/27/2005 at 02:08 PM.
  2.    #682  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sforever
    Please start that thread and share your expert wisdom on defense issues with us.
    Good for Barry for having an opinion as a liberal. I've asked many here on how they would do things different and the response is silence or 'it's not my job'. So they normally just complain and add no advice. So, I would like to see some fresh ideas. Who knows, maybe they'll be good ones!
  3. #683  
    cool -- heading out for a few hours -- but later tonight ...!!
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  4. #684  
    Cindylou is now turning her hatred towards mothers and families that don’t agree with her. Sheesh

    "How can these moms who still support George Bush and his insane war in Iraq want more innocent blood shed just because their sons or daughters have been killed? I don’t understand it. I don’t understand how any mother could want another mother to feel the pain we feel. I am starting to lose a little compassion for them. I know they have been as brainwashed as the rest of America, but they know the pain and heartache and they should not wish it on another. However, I still feel their pain so acutely and pray for these “continue the murder and mayhem” moms to see the light."
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  5. #685  
    I somehow get the feeling that come Friday, she won't be going home to CA. Not Vaccaville anyway. Hollywood maybe. A new movie called The Ostrich, perhaps.

    Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

    I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self
    .



  6. #686  
    Looks like Cindy got aced by Katrina.

    Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

    I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self
    .



  7. #687  
    Both blow-hards.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  8. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #688  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLiveSoundGuy
    I somehow get the feeling that come Friday, she won't be going home to CA. Not Vaccaville anyway. Hollywood maybe. A new movie called The Ostrich, perhaps.
    She does not have much of a support group in Vacaville.
  9. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #689  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    Cardio – I've always favored closing unneeded, surplus facilities.

    And if communities are aggressive and creative in responding to closings, for most places its been in the long run, an opportunity.

    My community (which is not really Washington DC, but the 10-15 blocks around Walter Reed) will be fine I'm sure -- though inevitably they'll be a period of adjustment and relocation, and some are going to suffer.

    Bases should be closed when they are unneeded. But expenses and savings need to be honestly calculated.

    You've probably seen this NY Times report on base closings -- and how the way that savings is calculated is wildly exaggerated.

    "federal investigators...concluded that nearly half of the Pentagon's projected savings came from cuts in military jobs that, in many cases, would simply be reassigned to other installations."

    The Pentagon can't be allowed to book a 10 yr. projected saving of a billion dollars in salaries etc. -- when those jobs are still going to be performed but at another location. Plus the expense of base cleanups, and the new construction inevitably required at the new relocated sites must be included.

    Unfortunately politics continues to play a warping role in the process.

    How else to explain not deactivating the "Thune" B-1 base in S. Dakota.

    A flying turkey, The B-1 should never have been built for a mission that never existed.

    The mission for which that base has now been saved, the true reason it wasn't closed -- is to protect the senate career of repugnican John Thune -- who would most certainly have lost his Senate seat if S. Dakota had lost its second largest employer.

    That base and that plane, should have been shutdown.

    I have lots of other ideas for defense program budget cuts I’d advocate – but perhaps that deserves its own thread...


    (BTW, I'm still baffled how moving a place that provides what everyone agrees is already the world's best care for injured and maimed soldiers, will be a benefit to them. Where they are now is a campus dedicated their care -– no matter how much is spent on constructing new buildings in Bethesda, it won’t be the same.)
    You are correct being at Bethesda will not be the same, should be an improvement with new facilities and equipment. The current facilities at Bethesda and Malcolm Grow Medical Center can be fully utilized. We will have the same level of care provided to the soldiers at Bethesda as is currently provided at Walter Reed. The location they perform the service is not what indicates the worlds best care, it is the staff performing the care. I do not see how keeping duplicate services open within miles of each other benefits anyone.
  10. #690  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    You are correct being at Bethesda will not be the same, should be an improvement with new facilities and equipment. The current facilities at Bethesda and Malcolm Grow Medical Center can be fully utilized. We will have the same level of care provided to the soldiers at Bethesda as is currently provided at Walter Reed. The location they perform the service is not what indicates the worlds best care, it is the staff performing the care. I do not see how keeping duplicate services open within miles of each other benefits anyone.
    did you see what former Senator Max Cleland, Viet Nam veteran and triple amputee, said about closing Walter Reed:

    "CLELAND: ...I was in Vietnam in '67, wounded in '68, lay there in Walter Reed, seeing my country come apart. I never want to see that again. Which is why it's time now for us to ask as a country of our government, what are you going to do?

    We can't just stay the course and be patient. Our young men and women are getting killed and blown up. And at the same time we're evacuating Walter Reed and the government says close Walter Reed. That doesn't make any sense at all. So what do we have to do?"


    Perhaps this war will have ended by the time they make the move -- but I suspect that at least some of the staff at Walter Reed are going to begin planning and preparation now -- when ALL their effort should properly be focused on assisting returning maimed soldiers.

    (the post where this quote comes)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  11. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #691  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    did you see what former Senator Max Cleland, Viet Nam veteran and triple amputee, said about closing Walter Reed:

    "CLELAND: ...I was in Vietnam in '67, wounded in '68, lay there in Walter Reed, seeing my country come apart. I never want to see that again. Which is why it's time now for us to ask as a country of our government, what are you going to do?

    We can't just stay the course and be patient. Our young men and women are getting killed and blown up. And at the same time we're evacuating Walter Reed and the government says close Walter Reed. That doesn't make any sense at all. So what do we have to do?"


    Perhaps this war will have ended by the time they make the move -- but I suspect that at least some of the staff at Walter Reed are going to begin planning and preparation now -- when ALL their effort should properly be focused on assisting returning maimed soldiers.

    (the post where this quote comes)
    Do you really think that relocating services provided at this facility to another facility within 30 miles is going to cause grave national danger? Yes, in a best case scenario we would keep all the facilities open and have the funds to cover it. I have not seen anything that indicates services are being discontinued, relocated yes, doscontinued no.

    I am sure some of the staff at Walter Reed will start planning for future moves now. Planning for future moves is part of our dynamic lives that we all should do anyway. The vast majority of installations on the realignment list have an advocate to keep them open.

    The medical center at Keesler Air Force Base was also on the original BRAC list, however it was removed from the list because it was determined the services offered could not be reasonably provided within close proximity.
  12. #692  
    Wow....I have been on the road for several days and heard about this story Thursday. Unless I missed it, I am surprised no one posted it.

    PRPRPR $Machine$ $Behind$ $Cindy$ $Sheehan$?$ABC7$ $Looks$ $At$ $The$ $Financing$ $Of$ '$Camp$ $Casey$'


    FULL STORY: http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...ics&id=3382521

    VIDEO OF TV NEWS STORY: http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...ics&id=3382521 and under Related Links click on PRPRPR $Machine$ $Behind$ $Cindy$ $Sheehan$? with the little TV next to it.

    Aug. 25 - With the President back at his Crawford ranch, the anti-war protest right outside his ranch is getting a lot more media attention. ABC7 looks at who is financing the operation and who's providing on-the-ground support.

    -----------------

    Organizers are set up in a house trailer. Their meetings closed to reporters.

    Leading the group is Fenton Communications employee, Michele Mulkey, based in San Francisco. Fenton specializes in public relations for liberal non-profits.

    Their bills are being paid for by True Majority, a non-profit set up by Ben Cohen -- of Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream fame.

    Ben Cohen, True Majority: "People are willing to listen to her and we want to do as much as we can to make her voice heard."

    Cohen's group has teamed up with Berkeley based MoveOn.org, an anti-Bush group co-founded by Joan Blades.

    Earlier this month, MoveOn helped organize anti-war vigils in support of Cindy Sheehan.

    Current Democratic National Party Chair Howard Dean's organization Democracy for America is also involved, as is the more radical anti-war group Code Pink organized by San Francisco's Medea Benjamin.

    ---------------------

    ABC7's Mark Matthews: "Can you tell us if you're getting help in airfare to come down here?"

    Melanie House: "What difference does that make?"

    There is real reluctance to talk about who's paying, and the P.R. machine that's promoting Cindy Sheehan, but not everyone here is completely comfortable with it.

    Gold Star mother Karen Meredith came here from Mountain View. Her son Ken Ballard died last year.

    Karen Meredith, Gold Star mother: "Sometimes things don't feel quite right to me. They don't feel wrong, but maybe that's how they do it in the marketing business."

    --------------------

    There is also the "Cindy you don't speak for me tour," a caravan of military wives and mothers led by Deborah Johns of Roseville. Her son William is a marine who has served two tours of duty in Iraq.

    Johns and her supporters are traveling to Crawford to confront Cindy Sheehan.

    Deborah Johns, caravan leader: "It means everything for me to be here, to see the support. We're so proud of him."

    The caravan is getting a lot of help from MoveAmericaForward.org. It's a non-profit organization co-chaired by former state assemblyman Howard Koologian. Koologian is a Republican who takes credit for launching the recall against Governor Gray Davis. His co-chair is KSFO Radio talk show host Melanie Morgan. The group's PRPRPR $firm$ $is$ $led$ $by$ $a$ $veteran$ $California$ $political$ $strategist$ $and$ $the$ $firm$ $claims$ $clients$ $running$ $from$ $a$ $county$ $supervisor$ $to$ $President$ $of$ $the$ $United$ $States$.
    I have to hand it to channel 7 even reporting on this. Looking over their political pages, there is no doubt that this station is extremely liberal, yet they had the journalist morals to report on the behind the scenes of the situation instead of just only on the PRPRPR $show$ $of$ $the$ $situation$.

    Now, why...if the MSM pretends to be balanced....does the MSM fail to report, or disclose, the financial backing of the movement when reporting on Cindy. If reading 95% of all the articles about her, you would never know there is a whole liberal funded PRPRPR $trailer$ $right$ $next$ $to$ $her$ $tent$ $planning$ $and$ $sponsoring$ $this$ $whole$ $situation$.

    I wonder if it was reversed and Kerry was in office with a right wing mom protesting Kerry if the Media would be jumping all over the fact that her whole PRPRPR $machine$ $is$ $not$ $spontaneous$, $but$ $funded$ $and$ $planned$ $by$ $conservative$ $groups$ $with$ $her$ $as$ $a$ $figure$ $head$?
  13. #693  
    Here's what it looks like there

    Well behaved women rarely make history
  14. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #694  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Here's what it looks like there

    Looks like this was one of her scheduled emotional breakdowns.
  15. #695  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Looks like this was one of her scheduled emotional breakdowns.
    Certainly!...at least Al Sharptoon is there to comfort het, and mix her drinks
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  16. #696  
    And he adds to her cause how? He just proves what we've been saying about her all along.

    Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

    I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self
    .



  17. #697  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Cindylou is now turning her hatred towards mothers and families that don’t agree with her. Sheesh
    Here is a link to the full story:

    Sheehan: Other moms of slain 'brainwashed'
    Cindy labels them supporters of 'murder and mayhem'

    http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=46010



    Here is another one:

    Cindy: Terrorists 'freedom fighters'
    Sheehan's comment to CBS, others seems to have evaporated in news coverage

    Cindy Sheehan, the so-called Peace Mom seeking a second meeting with President Bush in connection with the Iraq War death of her son, says terrorists killing Americans are "freedom fighters."

    She made the remark during her trek earlier this month to Crawford, Texas; but her equating the enemy with freedom fighters has not been highlighted by the mainstream media, despite her telling it directly to a reporter for CBS News.

    -------------------
    "N]ow that we have decimated the country, the borders are open, freedom fighters from other countries are going in ... . "

    --------------

    A WorldNetDaily search of CBS News, Google News, and Lexis-Nexis archives found not a single news report mentioning Sheehan's "freedom fighters" remark.
    Sheehan's comments were recorded on video by Veterans for Peace, a group pushing for Bush's impeachment. (Editor's note: The video of Cindy Sheehan is approximately 30 minutes long, and requires several minutes to load, even with a high-speed connection.)

    http://dc.indymedia.org/usermedia/vi...cindyonbus.mov

    .
  18. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #698  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLiveSoundGuy
    And he adds to her cause how? He just proves what we've been saying about her all along.
    Here is what the Rev Sharptoon adds (more publicity)

    Sharpton Driver Arrested for Speeding
    Aug 29 5:46 PM US/Eastern


    WAXAHACHIE, Texas


    A car carrying the Rev. Al Sharpton led sheriff's deputies on a nine- mile chase at speeds up to 110 mph before state troopers stopped the vehicle and arrested the driver, authorities said.

    The civil rights activist called the sheriff's report "ludicrous" and accused the Ellis County officers of "embellishing the story."

    "That nine-mile chase is news to me," Sharpton told The Associated Press. "All I know is that the police pulled us over because they wanted to talk to the driver about speeding."

    Chief Deputy Charles Sullins said driver Jarrett B. Maupin, 43, was rushing Sharpton to Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport after Sharpton visited anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan on Sunday at her camp outside President Bush's ranch in Crawford.

    Because the 2005 Lincoln was rented to Maupin, of Phoenix, sheriff's deputies impounded the car. Maupin posted a $1,000 bond on charges of evading arrest with a vehicle and reckless driving, authorities said.

    The car carrying Sharpton and two other passengers was clocked doing 110 mph in a 65 mph zone on the interstate south of Dallas, Sullins said.

    He said the driver ignored deputies' attempts to stop it and weaved in and out of traffic before state troopers were able to get in front of the car.

    Sharpton caught a lift from a passing driver and made his scheduled flight to New York.
  19. #699  
    Good Find!

    Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

    I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self
    .



  20. #700  
    Cindy's on the move again
    Well behaved women rarely make history

Posting Permissions