1.    #1  
    Isn't it interesting how the Democrats are the ones who champion the cause of violent felons being able to vote? I really doubt the liberals are just concerned with getting as many voters out there as possible -- the assumption is that criminals are more likely to support Democrats than they are to support Republicans.

Whyis that? What makes felons a Democrat constituency? Would we really want felons (in or out of jail) deciding who the local sheriff should be -- or who should be elected to congress?
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Isn't it interesting how the Democrats are the ones who champion the cause of violent felons being able to vote? I really doubt the liberals are just concerned with getting as many voters out there as possible -- the assumption is that criminals are more likely to support Democrats than they are to support Republicans.

Whyis that? What makes felons a Democrat constituency? Would we really want felons (in or out of jail) deciding who the local sheriff should be -- or who should be elected to congress?
    They aren't all violent felons are they, or is it just felons in general?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    They aren't all violent felons are they, or is it just felons in general?
    I think violent cause otherwise you get the executives from Halliburton and Diebold
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I think violent cause otherwise you get the executives from Halliburton and Diebold
    I support keeping violent felons from voting.
    Hey...

It's pretty simple...
    The Democrats need all the votes they can get. The Dems register illegal aliens, people here on work visas', convicted criminals, and of course can't forget about dead people. I have heard some dead people have voted twice. All of the above can not legally vote.

I suppose the next step is to get the under 18 year olds registered some how...Just my nickles worth.

Chuck

There is actually a really great argument that once you serve your time and paid your price to society that you should get the right to vote back (and there are people who have gone back to court to 'ask' for it back).
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    There is actually a really great argument that once you serve your time and paid your price to society that you should get the right to vote back (and there are people who have gone back to court to 'ask' for it back).
    I guess this is based on the XV Amendment, no? Although if so, you could argue this was in reference to former slaves.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I guess this is based on the XV Amendment, no? Although if so, you could argue this was in reference to former slaves.
    Actually I was referring specially to the 'sociological' argument and the effects imprisonment has on people when they are incarcerated and specifically the disadvantages they have when they get out.

I am pretty sure the legal argument has been played out and the courts allow states (depending on statute) to have your voting rights stricken.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Actually here is a recent article from the great state of CO concerning voting rights for felons (and how many don't know what their rights are).

Ex-felons can vote
    Campaign battles misperceptions of Colorado law
    It is harder for people with felony records to vote in many other states, such as Kentucky, where a pardon from the governor is necessary before voters get their privileges. Maine and Vermont are the only states without restrictions on people with felony records. Even inmates in those states can vote.
    "It's undemocratic when any segment of the population is disenfranchised,"
    Now the argument is usually "If you commit the crime and are convicted, then you have given up the right to vote, you knew that before you committed the crime, therefore it's not a violation of your due process rights."

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Actually here is a recent article from the great state of CO concerning voting rights for felons (and how many don't know what their rights are).

Ex-felons can vote
    Campaign battles misperceptions of Colorado law
    Now the argument is usually "If you commit the crime and are convicted, then you have given up the right to vote, you knew that before you committed the crime, therefore it's not a violation of your due process rights."
    I MIGHT be convinced to allow convicted felons who have fulfilled their legal obligations to vote. But I have a hard time letting anyone incarcerated vote. The fact that one is incarcerated means you've given up certain rights. You obviously wouldn't want an incarcerated person to have the right to bear arms.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I MIGHT be convinced to allow convicted felons who have fulfilled their legal obligations to vote. But I have a hard time letting anyone incarcerated vote. The fact that one is incarcerated means you've given up certain rights. You obviously wouldn't want an incarcerated person to have the right to bear arms.
    Anyone who says Insertion is closed minded is a Tom Cruise A**

Yeah I don't think they should get all their rights while they are in...but when they get out...we shouldnt continue punishing them.

12.    #12  
    There's one right they always get to keep. The right to remain silent!
    Watching the reports of the voting abuses, a common theme came out of the illegal voters that were registered - when they came to register, the form telling them how to do it also contained the names of the local party (guess which one). I don;t remember if it directly stated that they should vote for them or not, but the influence from the process and the 'workers' (for lack of a better word) that spent their time (and our money) finding people to vote for their party was enough to cause significant statistics to occur.

In jail - no vote. In fact, I like what the the sheriff from Arizona is doing in his jail (I wish I could remember his name). He only allows 2 cable channels - the Weather Channel and Disney. And when asked about the Weather Channel, he stated 'so they will know how hot it will be when they're working on the side of the road!'. Finally, someone who has no sympathy for muderers, rapists, drug dealers, etc.

But to show I have a heart, once they finish their term, they should be allowed to vote. Don't let them own a gun ever again (oh, wait, that statement assumed that those criminals probably were legally registered firearm owners, I'm sure they would certainly not have anything from the black market that the gun control laws have no way to stop anyway!)

Is that going to get me in trouble for not staying on topic?
    Palm IIIxe --> Palm 505 --> Kyocera 6035 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700wx
    Quote Originally Posted by WildeMan
    Watching the reports of the voting abuses, a common theme came out of the illegal voters that were registered - when they came to register, the form telling them how to do it also contained the names of the local party (guess which one). I don;t remember if it directly stated that they should vote for them or not, but the influence from the process and the 'workers' (for lack of a better word) that spent their time (and our money) finding people to vote for their party was enough to cause significant statistics to occur.
    I actually don't see a problem with a group that wants to influence when they are reaching out to those unsolicited voters? I mean, if I am a Rep and I am on a campaign to register more voters...do I have an obligation to show who is running for office from the Dems?

Finally, someone who has no sympathy for muderers, rapists, drug dealers, etc.
    It's not that I have more sympathy for them than others (or maybe it is since I have been in jail) but I would argue that a LOT of people who want to lock them away and throw away the key have not stepped on that side of the fence. If you do, you quickly realize how much you love the freedom to do what you want. You don't take things for granted. (Please don't confuse this for someone who commits a crime that requires a specific intent - like 1st degree murder). I don't have very much sympathy for that kind of crime with that level of intent.

Plus...if you have any experience in criminology, you quickly realize that the deck is stacked against a defendant from the get go. My advice...always, always, always get an attorney. Never answer any questions without an attorney present. Never volunteer to allow a search.

Is that going to get me in trouble for not staying on topic?
    No, you're good. You get a little leeway because we are already in the off topic thread.