Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    What's more degrading?? Being called a "Redskin" or a Corn Husker
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    ROOSEVELT - While the NCAA has declared that the University of Utah is in violation of its new policy banning Indian nicknames that are "hostile and abusive," many in the Ute tribe for whom the school is named are angry that the U. is under attack.
    Irene Cuch, a tribal leader at the Unitah and Ouray Indian Reservation located about four hours east of Salt Lake City, said the decision should be theirs.
    "A non-Indian organization should not be the one to make decision. This should come from tribal leaders," Cuch said.
    She said she is proud of the university naming itself after her tribe as
    long as the school uses the name in a respectful manner, which she said the school has done. Early in the relationship between the tribe and the university, Cuch said, Ute leaders were shown a school logo that depicted a caricature of an Indian. The tribe objected, and the university immediately withdrew the proposal.
    "As long as it's not abusive or disrespectful, I think it's a good thing," Cuch said.

Story
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    You really don't think this has anything to do with Political Correctness??
    No doubt it is PC. Remember, NRG is a Nole before his is a liberal! So PC is off the table for this subject!
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    ROOSEVELT - Irene Cuch, a tribal leader at the Unitah and Ouray Indian Reservation located about four hours east of Salt Lake City, said the decision should be theirs.
    "A non-Indian organization should not be the one to make decision. This should come from tribal leaders," Cuch said.
    Story
    Although I agree that what I might think is offensive is not a good standard, I don't think it should just be the standard of the tribal leaders considering not every native american lives on the reservation (and is not directly represented).
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Next PETA will want all animal mascots removed
    As an agnostic, I demand the New Orleans Saints give up that name...

on second thought, I don't really care.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    When will Vegans protest and demand the Texas Longhorns change their name?

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    We'd be in trouble.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    As an agnostic, I demand the New Orleans Saints give up that name...

on second thought, I don't really care.
    That might help us.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Dammit, The Oakland Athletics need to change their name, so fat slobs don't get offended!

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I'd like to reprsent the animals who can't speak for themselves:

'animals are good and friendly and mascot images degrade that, outlaw them now'

hehe
    Sprint 700p
    Dammit, The Oakland Athletics need to change their name, so fat slobs don't get offended!
    Well if that's the case, then the SF Giants should change their name because of those challenged by heights.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

LOL...I think they would just be happy if we didnt eat as much meat.

14.    #54  
    Governor Bush chimes in on FSU Seminoles and PC

'It's ridiculous'
    Gov. Bush criticizes NCAA ban on FSU's nickname
    Posted: Tuesday August 9, 2005 8:54PM; Updated: Tuesday August 9, 2005 8:54PM

The NCAA has ruled that mascots such as FSU's Chief Osceola will not be allowed to perform at games.
    AP

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- Gov. Jeb Bush criticized NCAA officials on Tuesday for their decision to penalize Florida State for using an American Indian nickname and symbols, saying they instead insulted the university and a proud Seminole Tribe of Florida.

The NCAA's finding that the school's Seminoles nickname is "hostile and offensive," instead of honoring American Indians has the opposite effect, the governor said, because the tribe supports the school's use of its name.
    <snip -KR>
    http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ne...UTF-8&filter=0
    Last edited by KRamsauer; 08/10/2005 at 03:36 PM.
  15.    #56  
    Love Bianchi! You know amongst his satire, I do think Ole Miss should drop the 'Rebels'. I grew up in the South, but a direct reference to slavery times is a bit inappropriate. Didn't Ole Miss finally get rid of their mascot Coloniel Rebel a couple of years ago?
    What's more degrading?? Being called a "Redskin" or a Corn Husker
    My brother went to a high school called the "Beet Diggers". If I were a beet, I would be offended.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I am a white middle aged married male with 2.5 children....I am offended there isn't a name representing me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Love Bianchi! You know amongst his satire, I do think Ole Miss should drop the 'Rebels'. I grew up in the South, but a direct reference to slavery times is a bit inappropriate. Didn't Ole Miss finally get rid of their mascot Coloniel Rebel a couple of years ago?
    Yeah, I figured you and NRG and some of the other TC'ers from up in the middle of state may have already seen that, but every once in a while he makes a cameo in the Sun-Sentinel. I catch his act every once in a while on Sunshine's Sports Talk Live.

He's right on about the Rebels thing, that's no joke. Why didn't the NCAA take a shot at them? The majority of their football players are probably black, but yet it was up until a couple of years ago that Colonel Reb was running around the stadium and it was an accepted practice to bring your rebel flags to the game. What's up with that?
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I am a white middle aged married male with 2.5 children....I am offended there isn't a name representing me!
    There is. You are "The Man"
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast