Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Gawd I'm soo sick of USC already... Heck, it would be nice if they at least played in a real conference huh?

Anyway, you guys at LSU are stacked and ya'll should win the SEC this year imo. I really hope you guys stomp the ***** crocs too! I can't stand the gates!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I really hope you guys stomp the ***** crocs too! I can't stand the gates!
    Agreement. Obnoxious bastards
  3.    #23  
    Guess the Irish drunks should be upset about the Fighting Irish. Maybe NCAA should make Notre Dame change their name to the Green Wave...damn that's taken!
  4.    #24  
    Outside FSU stadium during home games there is typically 4 - 8 Native Americans protesting the Seminole nickname. Amazing they made a difference. Even without the blessing of the Seminole tribe, how is it offensive? I would love for an Native American to chime in with their take.
    What pisses me off is that they're gonna ban us at the University of Illinois even though all of the uniforms and official gear doesn't even have the Chief on it anymore.

You have to goto a private store to get anything with him on it, and I have no idea how they have officially license gear with him on it because I thought that the school doesn't give out licenses for the emblem anymore. I guess the Chief is still semi-offical, but only barely. He still does his dance, but thats about it. I mean, the term still officially associated with the school teams is "Fighting Illini", which as far as I've read isn't directly associated with anything besides the name of the state.

2 years ago, roughly 2/3s of student voters upheld the schools association with the Chief. Yet the NCAA just goes roughshod over our wishes. For at least the 2nd time in 10 years, the students upheld the chief. I was hoping we'd get another 10 years before the anti-cheif forces would start to disrupt things again. Guess the NCAA had other plans.
    -- Go Illini!
    Gawd I'm soo sick of USC already... Heck, it would be nice if they at least played in a real conference huh?

Anyway, you guys at LSU are stacked and ya'll should win the SEC this year imo. I really hope you guys stomp the ***** crocs too! I can't stand the gates!
    I hear ya, man.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisfoster
    2 years ago, roughly 2/3s of student voters upheld the schools association with the Chief. Yet the NCAA just goes roughshod over our wishes.
    Kinda like our current congress?
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Kinda like our current congress?
    Hey!!! Stay focused, man! We're talking about the corrupt NCAA, not Congress!
    I'm back!
    I can't imagine how angry the Noles must be about thsi PC crap.
    You have no idea. The FSU pres said they will probably sue the NCAA, I back them on this one. If they happen to lose, I hope the refuse to put in a bid to host or decline a bid to play in the NCAA baseball tourney.
    I'm back!
    Been through this. Was an Indian at Stanford. Wasn't aware of any significant native American problems while I was there. All I can say is that eventually you will get over it. There are still a few "once an Indian"s around but for the most part, it's not an issue for most. Alums just have to grow out of it, current students will come to love whatever the current mascot becomes....
    Last edited by jrfaris; 08/05/2005 at 11:48 PM.
    jrfaris: so are you saying that people who are upset about the NCAA decision should get over it or Native Americans who are upset about it should get over it?

Also-what is your personal view as a Native American? Do you find these mascots offensive?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

It seems that some people find them offensive. That is enough for me. I do not find them so but I am not a native American myself. (Sorry if there was some confusion, I was using the term as a Stanford student/athlete). I'm saying that it's ok to get upset if you want but in say 30 years or so, it won't be a big deal to FSU (or any other school) alums. So you might as well start accepting it now...
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    It seems that some people find them offensive. That is enough for me. I do not find them so but I am not a native American myself. (Sorry if there was some confusion, I was using the term as a Stanford student/athlete). I'm saying that it's ok to get upset if you want but in say 30 years or so, it won't be a big deal to FSU (or any other school) alums. So you might as well start accepting it now...
    All of what you said may be true...but the 30 years it takes to get over it is a long time.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

But as I said I've been through it. Stanford dropped the Indian mascot in the early 1970's. It is a non issue to current students and recent alums. Just a tailgate discussion issue for a few alums around my age that will "always be Indians"....
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    But as I said I've been through it. Stanford dropped the Indian mascot in the early 1970's. It is a non issue to current students and recent alums. Just a tailgate discussion issue for a few alums around my age that will "always be Indians"....
    Stanford alums should be pissed. The school picked one of the worst names in the NCAA. The Cardinal. No not Cardinals, but Cardinal - the color. Maybe FSU will now be known as the Garnet. I think both sides of the aisle may agree, political correctness is ruining America.
  16. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    For those that are too lazy to click on the link:

Quote Originally Posted by T.K. Wetherell
    FSU Responds To NCAA Decision Banning Use Of Native American Symbols
    Florida State President T.K. Wetherell has issued a statement following the NCAA's ruling.

Aug. 5, 2005

FSU President T.K. Wetherell has issued the following statement in response to action August 5 by the National Collegiate Athletic Association banning the use of American Indian mascots during NCAA championship games. In taking the action, the NCAA deemed FSU's use of the Seminole name and symbols as "hostile or abusive," despite the recent formal endorsement by the Seminole Tribe of Florida for their use.

* * * STATEMENT FROM FSU PRESIDENT T.K. WETHERELL * * *

Florida State University is stunned at the complete lack of appreciation for cultural diversity shown by the National Collegiate Athletic Association's executive committee, which announced today a policy banning schools using Native American names and symbols from hosting NCAA championship events. That the NCAA would now label our close bond with the Seminole Tribe of Florida as culturally "hostile and abusive" is both outrageous and insulting.

On June 17, the Tribal Council of the Seminole Tribe of Florida spoke unequivocally of its support for Florida State University in its use of the Seminole name and related symbols. Accordingly, I intend to pursue all legal avenues to ensure that this unacceptable decision is overturned, and that this university will forever be associated with the "unconquered" spirit of the Seminole Tribe of Florida.

National surveys have shown in recent years that an overwhelming majority of Native Americans are not offended by the use of Native American names and symbols. In making its decision, the executive committee has been swayed by a strident minority of activists who claim to speak for all Native Americans. It is unconscionable that the Seminole Tribe of Florida has been ignored.

The rules as we understand them would have us cover the Seminole name and symbol as if we were embarrassed, and any committee that would think that is a proper and respectful treatment of Native Americans should be ashamed.

Florida State University thanks Seminoles for historic vote of support

Florida State University President T.K. Wetherell recently received a resolution supporting FSU's use of the "Seminole" name when he became the first FSU president to be invited to a meeting of the Seminole Tribe of Florida's Tribal Council, the tribe's chief governing body.

The resolution comes amid the National Collegiate Athletics Association's scrutiny of FSU's use of the Seminole name as well as the use of American Indian nicknames by 30 other NCAA member universities.

"We are deeply grateful to the Seminole Tribe of Florida," Wetherell said after receiving the resolution in the meeting at the tribe's Big Cypress Reservation.

"The message I received was clear," Wetherell said. "As the tribe's storied history shows the Florida Seminoles are an unconquered, sovereign and independent people. Florida State is exercising its own independent spirit in suggesting that the NCAA accept an early recommendation of its own committee and leave these decisions to each university."

The Tribal Council's resolution reads, in part, that the "Seminole Tribe of Florida has an established relationship with Florida State University, which includes its permission to use the name, 'Seminole,' as well as various Seminole symbols and images, such as Chief Osceola, for educational purposes and the Seminole Tribe of Florida wishes to go on record that it has not opposed, and, in fact, supports the continued use of the name 'Seminole.'" The resolution also supports the use of the Seminole head logo, which is endorsed by the university.

"That they chose to go on record and formally reaffirm that they trust us to be good stewards of their name and traditions is humbling," Wetherell said. "We will continue to treat those traditions and the Seminole name with honor and respect."

The resolution also invites FSU "to continue their relationship and collaborate on the development of logos and nicknames that all members of the Seminole Tribe of Florida and officials and students of Florida State University can be proud of."

The full resolution reaffirms the Seminole Tribe of Florida's commitment and relationship with Florida State University and calls for that intent to be expressed in a letter to the FSU President's Office.

"I'm very pleased to see this partnership put to paper," said FSU Board of Trustees Chairman Jim Smith. "It reflects what is already in place - a longstanding, honest relationship between the university and the tribe."

Andy Haggard, vice chairman of the FSU Board of Trustees, attended the Tribal Council meeting with Wetherell. "The respect and admiration we have for the Seminole Tribe of Florida is boundless," Haggard said. "This is fitting and proper, and really lays the groundwork for other shared initiatives."

Many traditions are already in place at FSU. A Seminole color guard participates in every commencement ceremony. A Seminole junior princess participates in the Homecoming parade and crowns the Homecoming princess and chief.

FSU administrators also regularly travel to Seminole reservations to recruit students to be "Seminole Scholars." Wetherell established the scholarships, which pay 80 percent of a student's tuition. Because of his efforts, Florida State will have four new Seminole students this fall, the most ever enrolled at one time. They will join four Seminole students currently enrolled. Three other Seminole students are alumni.

But there are other new developments, Wetherell said, including plans for master Seminole builders to construct an authentic chickee (a Seminole-style shelter) at the university's lakeside recreation area known as the "FSU Reservation" in Tallahassee. At the meeting, Wetherell also proposed a new museum on campus, the Center for Seminole Heritage and Culture; and proposed the development of the first tribal charter school.

The Seminole Tribe of Florida has almost 3,000 members living on and off six reservations in Big Cypress, Tampa, Brighton, Immokalee, Fort Pierce and Hollywood.
    Nothing like Liberalism run amok. Can't say anything unless The Party says it's okay.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Nothing like Liberalism run amok. Can't say anything unless The Party says it's okay.
    That is not needed. This has nothing to do with liberalism.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    That is not needed. This has nothing to do with liberalism.
    You really don't think this has anything to do with Political Correctness??
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast