Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanDad
    Go ARMY! Beat Air Force!

Sorry, you hit me in one of my few areas of complete bigotry. I'm a West Point grad so I naturally hate all things Naval Academy and Air Force Academy...
    Hoooah! No love for those fly-boys here either.

Although I did spend about six weeks outside of Eglin AFB once.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    97% of non-hispanic whites are married to non-hispanic whites.
    Whooo hoooo!!!

Now with the addition of Insertion's comment (he beat me to it), I know now the entire 3% (myself included, as I am married to a Dominican)!!!
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Whooo hoooo!!!

Now with the addition of Insertion's comment (he beat me to it), I know now the entire 3% (myself included, as I am married to a Dominican)!!!
    So you're the other one!!! Good, I thought I was going to have to search to find out who it was.

jmill know who 3% is, so he tell me!!!!

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    So you're the other one!!! Good, I thought I was going to have to search to find out who it was.

jmill know who 3% is, so he tell me!!!!
    Of course do not tell me of search 3%, I just tell all of TC who 3% is!

Jmill and Insertion 3%!
    I'm back!
    I'm a pure-bred , though I may find a nice-looking muggle to continue my evolutionary path!
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    Quote Originally Posted by chillig35
    I'm a pure-bred , though I may find a nice-looking muggle to continue my evolutionary path!
    That just means you're one of the 97% that clulup was talking about that hates diversity.
    I'm back!
    That just means you're one of the 97% that clulup was talking about that hates diversity.
    i know and i'm envious of that elite 3%!

but then Insertion is an example of evolution in reverse - so one always has to be careful l
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    but then Insertion is an example of evolution in reverse - so one always has to be careful l
    Or maybe it's ID going forward.....
    I'm back!
    If you can hold out a little while longer, I found a muggle for you:

http://www.espudd.com/articles/other/emma.php

Almost every girl I have had a relationship with have been of Mexican decent (generally first generation.)
    Really? I had no idea both Christiac130 and Clairegrrl are of Mexican decent.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  11.    #71  
    Perhaps I've made the same mistake of tarring all evalengicals with the same brush - the way all liberals are sometimes portrayed as rabid left-wing atheists. If so, I apologize.
    Sometimes it's hard to distinguish the folks who are really sincere about trying to come to grips with some of these issues, versus others who are seeking out similar opinions and are simply looking for endorsement to further support their own viewpoints.
    If you're in the former category, then please bear with me through a couple of scenarios I've outlined below, and then we can have a more honest dialogue.
    Apology accepted but I still appreciate your comments because they highlight a problem we all have. Just as we know that in the past few months ALL suicide bombers have been Sunni Muslims, not ALL Sunni Muslims are suicide bombers. Extreme? Yes. But, the analogy holds when discussing dumb religious zealots (in this country) who claim the title of evangelist or fundamentalist when doing dumb things. The actions of the stupid few cannot be painted onto the reasonable many.

I also appreciate the time you put into your absurb scenarios. I assume that you meant it to teach a lesson in today's society by inferring the opposite views are in fact happening today. However, we must remember that the analogy can only teach when we do have actual lessons from current events.

For your first scenario, many far-right fundamentalists (not me) do find teaching evolution in school to be threatening to their beliefs because their children may ask them questions. This makes them upset and they remove their kids or work with the system to get the curriculum changed. Feeling and acting this way is absurd and non-biblical. I can't condone it. Now, is this happening across the country (as proposed) or is it happening in a select few communities (somewhere, Kansas and Odessa, TX)?

For most church-going christians, schools teaching their kids that nature has done everything and leaving God out of the discussion is expected. That's how I learned biology. I'm glad I know how the world sees things. I'd even like to hear more about the FES folks. What would I care if everyone in the world bought into it the FES stuff? I don't expect non-Christians to think like me. Why should I try to make them?

As for the absurdity of debating things that are already made up in your mind and established by scientific reasoning... A large percentage of this country doesn't buy into evolution as the answer. Should we not even talk any more? You and I don't have the same religious convictions and I'm convinced I'm right. Should we stop talking?

I am only talking about discussing things of the brain: rationale, facts, semantics. These are items where intelligent people can be swayed, convinced, and corrected. This doesn't apply to things of the heart: faith, belief or disbelief, feelings. The heart can lead the brain but it rarely works the other way around. I don't believe that there are any "brain" topics that should be off limits or "decided".

All of my posts here are strictly using the brain. I will not use my faith to defend or attack any argument. It would be folly.
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
  12.    #72  
    Hoooah! No love for those fly-boys here either.

Although I did spend about six weeks outside of Eglin AFB once.
    According to my records, I did, too. However, I was asleep so I don't remember.
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
    If you can hold out a little while longer, I found a muggle for you:

http://www.espudd.com/articles/other/emma.php
    not sure if i can wait another 984 days 15h 31 m and 12 s. I want her NOW dammit!
    Or maybe it's ID going forward.....
    The defense rests!
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Really? I had no idea both Christiac130 and Clairegrrl are of Mexican decent.
    I'm not...I'm from the Philippines. Insertion said "ALMOST every girl..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    I'm not...I'm from the Philippines. Insertion said "ALMOST every girl..."
    More proof of his diversity.

He should change his name to InsertiUN.
    I'm back!
    The defense rests!
    I thought I'd throw that in there to freak you out a bit.

To attempt to get this thread back on topic (it's probably too late now), why do ID/Creationism and Evolution, as scientific theories, have to be mutually exclusive?
    I'm back!
    ... why do ID/Creationism and Evolution, as scientific theories, have to be mutually exclusive?
    ID/Creationism are NOT scientific theories. A scientific theory is a hypothesis wich has been proven to be correct in a very high number of scientific experiments. There is no way you can compare ID and evolution because there are tons of evidence in favour of evolution, thousands and thousands of articles in peer-reviewed scientific journals detailing the methods and results of those experiments, but zero credible scientific evidence in favour of ID/Creationism.

Evolution says life developed due to random mutations in the DNA, and due to selection (non-random selection) for mutations which lead to more offspring ("greater fitness").

ID says there is an "intelligent designer" involved in mutation and/or selection. There is no evidence whatsoever for this designer, and no need for one in the framework of evolution.

However, evolution and religion are NOT mutally exclusive. You can always say that a god or a group of gods set the big bang or evolution in motion, even though there is no trace for that. As long as there is no evidence for a designer/creator, ID and creationism is not a scientific topic, but a purely religious one - and as such it has no place in science classes, just as kabbalah is not tought in math classes.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanDad
    I can't condone it. Now, is this happening across the country (as proposed) or is it happening in a select few communities (somewhere, Kansas and Odessa, TX)?
    unfortunately this is spreading like a disease both statewide (as in KS, AK, UT, PA) and in numerous communities across the country (MS, TX, OH, CO, IN, ID, IL, MN, WV). See this link for more details. It doesn't help that the President also publicly supports ID - lends more credence to this non-science

I'm glad I know how the world sees things. I'd even like to hear more about the FES folks. What would I care if everyone in the world bought into it the FES stuff?
    wow - you're really broadminded! Unfortunately I'm not as patient nor do I have the bandwidth to deal with every absurd pseudo-science (or non-science) debate out there

I don't expect non-Christians to think like me. Why should I try to make them?
    what makes you think that evolutionists are non-christians? Many scientists are religious and can still accept evolution science without seeing a dichotomy. It seems that only the far-right fundamentalists are the ones having this problem.

As for the absurdity of debating things that are already made up in your mind and established by scientific reasoning... A large percentage of this country doesn't buy into evolution as the answer.
    a large percentage of people believe in ghosts, ESP, astrology and host of other pseudo/non-science phenomenon. Do we need to have dialog about all of these issues? Do we need to have textbooks revised, alternate "theories" taught in public schools and have the President and other leaders bring this up for debate? If the majority of the population decides that these topics are important enough to warrant discussion and insist on them being taught alongside "hard science", then as a democracy we have no choice but go along with the majority. And we wonder why our students score the lowest in almost every category when compared to other western nations?

Let me ask you this - if you were to poll the general public, how many of them will "buy" into quantum physics? Will they believe in it, even if they don't understand it? Will they accept "facts" such as light can exist as both a particle and a wave simultaneously? Or that light doesn't always travel in a straight line, but can bend around objects? If someone were to develop an ID theory for "solving" all the unanswered questions in physics (where is the missing antimatter? what is composition of quarks and leptons?), then does that mean we have to give equal "airtime" to these theories?

Should we not even talk any more? You and I don't have the same religious convictions and I'm convinced I'm right. Should we stop talking?
    i think we should educate more. If people have difficulty understanding evolution and how complex lifeforms arose on this planet, then there are thousands of scientists and educators ready to take up the task. However, it is not fair to ask these scientists to reconcile evolutionary science with the teachings from the Bible. (nor is it fair other way around either - to turn to the Bible for answers to quantum physics).
    Unfortunately ID is nothing but a thinly veiled front for Creationism, which in turn is just a mechanism to bring the Bible back into all classrooms.
    The ID theory is a very powerful and simple theory because it can explain everything in the world. Imagine - all of physics, chemistry and biology can be explained by ID. And the beauty of ID is that it cannot be disproved either. So why bother with any science then?
    I thought I'd throw that in there to freak you out a bit.

To attempt to get this thread back on topic (it's probably too late now), why do ID/Creationism and Evolution, as scientific theories, have to be mutually exclusive?
    I would say that ID/Creationism and evolutionary sciences are as mutually exclusive as the Flat Earth Theory and your GPS Navigation system!
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast